E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Problem CDI update

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-17-2004, 09:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Problem CDI update

I have been out of town for over 2 weeks so I really dont have any update on the cdi except that I still have the power surge/loss under exceleration. The dealer wants me to bring back the car for them to look at for a few days. I plan on dropping it off the first of the week. I am kinda thinking that I may just have to get use to it and live with it. They havent been able to find the problem yet. After changing everyting from the fuel pumps, fuel rail, egr valve, sensors, etc, they still havent found the problem. I guess that goes with the territory of driving a test vehicle for MB. I'll update when I get some news.
Old 09-17-2004, 10:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Late Built 2005 W-211 E-320 CDI
Question You MUST NOT Do That!

Originally Posted by Viesel
I'm kinda thinking that I may just have to get use to it and live with it.

You are entitled to have a CDI that runs properly.

Since no one else seems to be having the problem that your car has, either make them fix it or replace it!

Should you keep it and someday decide to sell it privately, how could you with that surging problem?

Either they fix it so that it is the same as when you first drove it off the lot when it was new, or you must lemon law it, period!

Old 09-17-2004, 11:18 PM

'05 E320 CDI, ‘10 E63, ‘13 SL63, Sprinter 170
Viesel,

I have followed this for a bit, but based on E-300 DT's follow on, I need to ask; Werre you happy with the car when 1st delivered and now it is performing differently? Or has it always had a dead spot when stomping on the pedal turning into surging?
Old 09-17-2004, 11:48 PM

The car was perfect when I bought it. I first noticed the problem starting about 5 days of ownership. Problem would slightly get worse over time. I truely thought that it was all related to the turbo surge like the VW TDIs do and they are a quick and easy fix, so I thought that the CDI would be an easy fix so I just was going to wait till the first 3000 mile service. But the problem got so bad that it would hardly run one day and almost left me stranded on the side of 275 in St Petersburg FL on a Sunday morning. The next day, Monday, way short of the 3000 miles service that I was waiting for I had to take it to the dealer and thats when the repairs started. Whatever repairs they did helped but there is still the surging and power loss under acceleration. I will be leaving the car with them a few more days the first of the week for them to look at and try to figure out. Other than the issues with the power loss the car is really a work of art and very impressive in a lot of ways.
Old 09-18-2004, 09:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
E-class E300e Estate, Sprinter (stretched limo)
PLEASE do NOT allow anyone to convince you that this might be down to 'turbo lag'. There are no doubt folks that believe they have 'turbo lag' on their 320CDI's and there is nothing anyone can say to alter that opinion.

Mercedes-Benz are to stop using the 'Kompressor' in there range of excellent engines and stay with the turbo, simply because this item has evolved to such a degree that in the words of the publicity brochures, 'turbo lag is no longer an issue' (it might have been noticeable).

If you are noticing the vehicle is loosing power to such a degree as to """"Hardly run and nearly left me stranded"""""""" then it should not be on the road.

I would contend that your car is verging towards being dangerous. Imagine if you go to pull out of a road junction and the engines looses power to such a degree that """it almost left me stranded""""" This time however a fully laden 18 wheeler is bearing down on you.......

I admire your patience, but do you believe the dealer is honestly trying his best to rectify this ongoing problem?

Good luck, and go get 'em Tiger

Regards,
John
Sunny with showers Torquay
Old 09-18-2004, 11:16 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Late Built 2005 W-211 E-320 CDI
Question Other Possibilities?

Viesel,

Have you considered going to another dealership, perhaps one that your factory rep. might suggest?

To say that you'll simply try to "live with it" the way it is now, you should not even begin to consider.

Based on the 30 mile test drive we did over in Lost Wages with a brand new car full of people, I know how well they can and do run. There was no "turbo lag" when at any rpm above idle, and that is how they all are except yours.

The people working on your car know that there is a problem or they wouldn't be trying to fix that problem. They must fix it or else.
Why should you settle for less than a perfectly performing vehicle?
After all, you do have the right to expect at or near perfection considering the fact that you bought a MBZ!

Don't let yourself be lulled into telling yourself that you can "live with it" for if you do that, you'll always be sorry. Everytime that you step on it, and it does that, you'll think of the problem. That'll drive you nuts, and you'll simply wind up hating the car.

Do you want that?

Either they can correct the problem, or they must replace it with a new car that does perform up to standard.
That is why the good legislators of your fine state have that lemon law.

Do not settle for less than perfection. For $50K plus ($800 monthly I think you said) you'll never be happy with the car the way it is now. Please consider that fact.

Don't mean to preach, but I and many others here I'm sure don't want to see you make a mistake, and keeping it the way that it is now would be a hugh mistake IMHO!

Good luck. Perhaps they'll find and correct the problem this time?
Whatever happened to that tech from Germany that was sent over from Germany to correct the problem?

Last edited by Green E-300 DT; 09-18-2004 at 11:20 AM.
Old 09-18-2004, 01:19 PM

1999 C43 AMG - 2003 E320 CDI (W211) AVANTGARDE (located in Portugal)
Viesel.

I've had my 03 E320 CDI AVANTGARDE for little over a year now and the car performes just like the first day i got it so if i were you i wouldn't even consider to try to live with this problem. if they can't fix it have it replaced.

And if i understood you correct you were saying "that goes with the territory of driving a test vehicle for MB " but the 320 CDI engine has been around for a while in europe in the w210 and w211 chassis so they had more then enough time to test it, so you should expect a perfect running vehicle.

Good luck and keep us posted
Old 09-18-2004, 01:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by AMG PWRD
Viesel.
" but the 320 CDI engine has been around for a while in europe in the w210 and w211 chassis so they had more then enough time to test it, so you should expect a perfect running vehicle.
Quite correct
The E320CDI Estate came to the UK in the second half of 1999, so we are looking at least FIVE years.

Regards,
John
Sunny Torquay
Old 09-18-2004, 05:20 PM

Well the shop manager was the one that told me that the cdis are test vehicles due to the fact that the emmissions are completely different than the ones over the pond. They told me that MB will be watching all the CDIs very carefully to see how they hold up so they can continue to meet US emmissions.
Old 09-18-2004, 05:24 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,418 Likes on 3,146 Posts
'71 Pinto
The car was perfect when I bought it. I first noticed the problem starting about 5 days of ownership. But the problem got so bad that it would hardly run one day and almost left me stranded on the side of 275 in St Petersburg FL on a Sunday morning.

Check your email.
Old 09-18-2004, 05:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 E550, 2013 GLK
Well the shop manager was the one that told me that the cdis are test vehicles due to the fact that the emmissions are completely different than the ones over the pond. They told me that MB will be watching all the CDIs very carefully to see how they hold up so they can continue to meet US emmissions.
Your shop manager doesn't know what he's talking about. US versions of the CDI are simpler than those sold in some other markets. The US versions (currently) have no particulate filters because the US has diesel fuel with a high sulfur content. Those with particulate filters have to use low ash oil and (occasionally) may have to have the particulate filters cleaned out.

Now is the time to buy a CDI in the US before Mercedes tries to meet stricter emission standards once low sulfur diesel fuel is available.
Old 09-19-2004, 02:20 AM

After changing everyting from the fuel pumps, fuel rail, egr valve, sensors, etc, they still havent found the problem. I guess that goes with the territory of driving a test vehicle for MB. I'll update when I get some news.
If the high pressure Common Rail pump is damaged, the first sign would be a certain loss of power. Are you sure that they actually changed this pump? It's a very expensive part (several thousand USD). Perhaps they only told you they did?
Old 09-19-2004, 03:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

From your posts it would appear that you have developed a very trusting relationship with your shop manager. The time has come though for the manager to do the 'right thing' by you.

Yes, the US has a poor quality diesel fuel, but the CDI has been adapted to take that into consideration and you are certainly NOT being used as a 'research and development' tool.

Quite simply from what you alledge your car is unroadworthy. I am very sorry to keep repeating myself, but Mercedes-Benz produce and excellent reliable (mostly ) vehicle and you are being sold very short.

Regards,
John
A beautiful morning in Torquay