Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

US Comand 2.0 Firmware Update

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-23-2004, 03:17 PM

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
2000 E430 4Matic; 2008 S550 4Matic; 2012 E350 4matic; 2014 E63S
US Comand 2.0 Firmware Update

I have a new (to me) US model 2000 e430 4matic with the comand unit.

This unit has the letters under the keys on the keypad so I think it may be a newer 2.0 unit (based on posts on this forum).

The unit does not come up with the Mercedes logo on startup - instead just a warning message not to be distracted. Based on posts on this forum I think this means it has the old firmware.

I took it into my dealer and asked how much they would charge for a firmware update. They just looked at me with a blank stare and said they didn't know what I was talking about.

Can anyone point me to a service bullitin or part number which I can reference so I don't feel like such an idiot? Alternatively, I'd be happy to do it my self if I could get the US update disk somewhere (the Euro update is available online, but I can't find the US anywhere).

Any help greatly appreaciated.
Old 08-23-2004, 03:56 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In the market
Are you sure the firware is upgradable without making hardware changes? I am unfamiliar with the specific system at hand, but it may be an OTP system which would mean parts would have to be changed to upgrade the firmware. Odds are the dealer is not going to associate the word firmware with that type of change. You might just specifically tell them what you told us about the Mercedes Logo on startup and such.
Old 08-23-2004, 04:08 PM

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
2000 E430 4Matic; 2008 S550 4Matic; 2012 E350 4matic; 2014 E63S
Never done it personally - but other posts indicate the firmware updates are done with a special CD that the US dealers are supposed to have.
Old 04-30-2005, 12:20 AM
ON SUSPENSION

w210 E class up date

yes you can up date your command
you will need to hold the 1 3 and mute it will com up software up date
then you will need to insert up date disc Bosch software service CD MY 2001
possible it will not up date if your command is Q1 or Q2 on the side of the command becuse it wase not posibble to do this up date in most 2000 models you can up date the 2001
Old 04-30-2005, 07:38 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
some slow@$$diesels
Originally Posted by MBDOCTOR
you will need to hold the 1 3 and mute it will com up software up date
...erm..the 1/3/mute will get you in the service menu but won't let you update anything at all...updates are started pressing the # and * when switching on...

Wether the comand does or does not take the update disc depends on the bootloader of the comand...it is not limitted to Q1 or Q2 versions of comand but the faulty bootloader (the one that doesn't take the update disc) floats around in all comand (D2B) models and some of the Q1 / Q2 W220 comands do take the update disc.

As for the dealership: have them connect stardiagnose and enter the comand with stardiagnose and stardiagnose will immediately tell them what update diesc to use in order to update the comand...stardiagnose will give the full partnumber of the update disc to use...the update disc costs barely 10USD and it takes approx 45 minutes to update a comand...and doesn't require any supervision during that 45 minutes...

greetingz,
Old 08-03-2005, 12:33 AM
ON SUSPENSION

You don't need to connect the star diagnose and enter the command with star diagnose to know what update disc to use in order to update the command...
don't need the star diagnose to know the version you can enter in to the command and find out whet you need
Old 08-04-2005, 12:27 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
some slow@$$diesels
Originally Posted by MBDOCTOR
You don't need to connect the star diagnose and enter the command with star diagnose to know what update disc to use in order to update the command...
you are right about that...I don't need to connect the stardiag to look up a partnumber of an update discs...most dealerships - however - don't seem to be able to find out how to update comand systems...where as they can easily read it off their stardiag screen.

greetingz,