SL-Class (R129) 1990-2002: SL 280, SL 300, SL 320, SL 500, SL 600, SL 60 AMG

SL/R129: Need data on SL500 Sport versus SL600

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-18-2003, 01:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1977 L-82 Corvette
Need data on SL500 Sport versus SL600

Hey new to this Forum. Long time user of http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zeromain and recently lost my Vette to a drunk driver http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=569790
I am looking on E-Bay for 1998-2001 SL500 Sport or a SL600. I like the idea of a V12 however some corvetteForum members who are Benz owners have weaned me away with talk of maintenance and unrelaibility of the 6.0 while they raivie on and on about the 5.0 V-8. I am a walking encyclopedia of uslesss Corvette information but a newbie to the MB world. Need soem honest hard facts of;

SL600 vs. SL500

1. HP and torque
2. maintenance costs of 12 versus 8.
3. any data of recall or relavent pressing issues of either engine
4. Resell of 600 versus 500
5. Anything else I might have missed.

My insurance company closes out within 2 weeks and that money is wisely going towards a new house. Some of the funds from the personal injury settlement will go towards the SL600/ 500 which means I have between 4-6 months to research and find which model I want.

P.S. with some of these large top flight Mercedes/ Posche dealers on E-bay I feel confident with the top end vechicles they sell that I won't get a lemon/ POS however internet shopping for a car worries me. Any advice on that??? Maybe I can fly over and examine and drive it back. Appreciate the support.

David
Old 06-18-2003, 03:23 PM
Almost a Member!

SL500 VS SL600

It's a shame to loose such a nice car to a liquid luncher.

Some free legal advice, get yourself a lawyer, because if you have personal injuries, you need the legal help. If your car was destroyed, you do not yet know what long-term effects that could have on you as well.

Also, don't expect a settlement for PI in 4-6 weeks. You are looking at 3-4 years on average!

As to SL's, the difference between the SL and SL Sport is wheel size/width and Xenon lights.

The SL 600's are maintenance hogs and eat gas like it's going out of style. They are very quick, but with gas close to $2.00/gallon, a tank full will not last very long.

For the actual specs, see www.mercedes-benz.com/e/cars/sl/tech.htm

Depending on your budget, a year 1999 plus will give you a lot of value.
Old 06-18-2003, 05:16 PM

1977 L-82 Corvette
Thanks for the advice. I have already retained counsel and your right the PI part could take 2 plus years

Wow the gas milage really sucks on the 600 series.

Why do you say the 600's are maintenance hogs?

Appreciate the info.
Old 06-18-2003, 09:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1995 Jaguar XJS Convertible
David,

What a damn shame!! I read your posts on the other board, and admire the fact that you were able to build-up such a nice vette!!

In addition to eBay, you may also wish to look at the Fed Trust web site. They are located here, in sunny South Florida:

Fed Trust

They usually have a nice selection of used vehicles and are very reputable, and can ship nation wide.

Good luck in your search!!

Regards,

Chris

Last edited by Mr. Xristo; 06-18-2003 at 09:23 PM.
Old 06-19-2003, 06:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
SL55 AMG
Of course, we have a different scale of things here, with gas about three times the price of it in the US for a slightly larger gallon, but I don't find the SL600 gas consumption to be at all bad. I get 15-18 around town and 21-23 on a trip. My SL55 AMG gives 15 - 17 and I've seen single figures in the 355.

The V12 is significantly faster than the V8, especially mid-range acceleration and is smoother and quieter. My SL600 has been completely reliable with only one ever non-standard part replaced and the engine uses no oil - none. I do have it serviced according to the recommendations but that is it.

The engine requires no extra special maintenance above the V8, although its oil capacity is larger and it uses 12 spark plugs, but these are not major costs and will be but nothing if your car - whichever one - ever needed something like a new ABS control unit or hydraulic pump for the roof.
Old 06-19-2003, 09:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by blueSL
My SL600 has been completely reliable with only one ever non-standard part replaced and the engine uses no oil...
Well stated blueSL. David, I do not know who has been telling you about the "mistakes" of purchasing a V-12 and I would question whether or not have owned a V-12. I am not in anyway telling that these people are lying to you, but some tend to make generalizations about things with which they are ignorant.

When I pruchased my Jaguar (inline 6), people told me "those jag's have so many problems.. Don't by it, etc., etc."

Needless to say I have had no major issues, outside normal wear and tear items, and maintenance.

The point here is this: do your research and inspect the vehicle as best you can. I mean, you are obviously good with the wrench
Old 06-19-2003, 01:08 PM

1977 L-82 Corvette
David you are obviously good with a wrench
Thanks you.......but one of the reasons I am switching from Corvette to Benz is that I am tired of being good with a wrench!

Old 06-19-2003, 01:10 PM

1977 L-82 Corvette
PLEASE OH PLEASE SOMEONE HELP ME TO RESIZE THAT HORRIBLY HUGE SIGNATURE PIC.

ANYONE??????
Old 06-19-2003, 01:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Ok.. I will.. Here you go...
Attached Thumbnails Need data on SL500 Sport versus SL600-dsc02572.jpg  
Old 06-19-2003, 01:42 PM

1977 L-82 Corvette
Thanks, your alright for a Jaguar owner.......lol.....

Just playing

David
Old 06-19-2003, 01:44 PM

1977 L-82 Corvette
Works great! Thanks again.

David
Old 06-19-2003, 01:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

no problem!! from one shipmate to another..
Old 06-19-2003, 03:51 PM

1999 SL 600 Sport Model
I found my 99 SL600 Sport on Autotrader.com. Fortunately it was at a dealer about 5 miles from here so I could see and test the car.
Be VERY careful when purchasing from an out of town source on the web. There have been tons of scams. Some scammers have even taken pictures and obtained VINs at legitimate dealer's lots and then made them look like it's their own car. Don't wire money without seeing and driving the car.
That being said, I'm on my second SL600 and wonder if the naysayers here are speaking from personal experience. Mine have both been fine cars with very little maintenance required. The V12 would be expensive to repair if you blew it up, but fortunately it's a rock solid engine, even described as bulltetproof. Of course, an extended warranty will give you some peace of mind against a major breakdown. Check for leaks. The 95 had a few, the 99 is dry as a bone underneath.
Gas mileage isn't all that bad. Probably no worse than that Vette (BTW-I've had 14 Vettes and once worked for Corvette Development at GM). Of course if you put your foot in it, the gauge drops pretty fast. I get around 15 in town and 20 on the road and I don't drive with my horn.
Other differences in the 500/600 are the 600 has a real leather stitched dash and some extra interior leather trim items, more wood on the console, ADS is standard, nicer steering wheel, etc. I'm not sure, but the phone may be included, too.
But most important of all is that magnificent engine. I can be rolling along, just keeping up with traffic, doing 80 on the freeway and if I burp the gas to change lanes, I'm up over 100 so quickly I don't even notice it. It's not the blustery, noisy type of acceleration as the Vette, but an understated silky smooth firm pressure on your back. I've seen 140 on the way to Vegas and made the 270 mile trip in exactly three hours in absolute comfort. If I could find a decent road I'd see if it really does top out at 155.
My tag reads WSPR JET. It's a jet that whispers.
The 99 is a better buy than the 98 in that the 99-2002 are almost identical throughout--you get the last iteration of the R129 model.
And the Sport trim package adds a lot to this model. It includes not only the great looking AMG wheels, but Xenon lights and sculptured side skirts that enhance the wedge shape of the car and make it look like it's in motion.
See my web page for more photos.
Let us know what you do.
Attached Thumbnails Need data on SL500 Sport versus SL600-mb-beach.jpg  
Old 06-23-2003, 02:50 PM

1977 L-82 Corvette
John the additions one would find on the SL500 Sport:

18" AMG rims
hand stiched dash
side louvers etc.

Is that standard on all the SL600's??????

David
Old 06-23-2003, 03:20 PM

SL 500 AMG
Hey there Cali,

It's just matter of preference and how much cash you got, if you got the extra cash and don't mind go to V12, resale on V12's aren't good at all, and most times you'll get less than a V8 and all the extra costs, I know this guys say not a big diff. but just cause it's a V12 you'll pay more for anything, consider Breaks, oil, plugs, gas and etc... and I know first hand reliability on V8 has been much better, and some ppl with V12's have been lucky not to have much issues... so all depends on your pocket book... good luck, keep us posted on what you get... Thanks...
Old 06-23-2003, 03:22 PM

1999 SL 600 Sport Model
Originally posted by Cali,77,L-82
John the additions one would find on the SL500 Sport:
18" AMG rims
hand stiched dash
side louvers etc.
Is that standard on all the SL600's??????
David
The 500 does not include hand stitched dash.

From MBUSA:
Package SL1 The SL-Class Sport Package 8.0Jx18 front and 9.0Jx18 rear AMG monoblock thin-spoke alloy wheels.2 245/40ZR18 front and 275/35ZR18 rear performance tires. Aerodynamically sculpted lower bodywork. Projector-beam front foglamps. $4,970

The 600 includes:
http://www.mbusa.com/brand/container...c=1&category=6

Seating and trim

10-way power seats with 3-position memory. Leather upholstery, including seat backs, seat side panels, head restraints and door trim inserts.

Glove-soft Nappa leather seating surfaces.

Heated Seats.

Exclusive leather interior trim on doors, dash, console, roll bar and inside hardtop.

Leather-trimmed steering wheel and shift knob. Burl walnut or chestnut wood trim on doors, dash, console and shift gate. Velour floor carpeting and floor mats.

Wood and leather trimmed steering wheel and shift knob. Laser-cut wood rolltop cover for center console storage compartment.

Audio, navigation and communication

Bose® sound system with 6 speakers plus Acoustimass® bass module. Automatic speed-sensitive volume adjustment.

AM/FM stereo/weatherband radio with scan and dual-sensitivity seek tuning, concealed autoreverse cassette player with music search, and antitheft coding. Multifunction operating panel includes integrated controls and displays for radio, cassette player, optional CD changer and optional portable cellular telephone.

Automatic electric AM/FM/cellular antenna.

Integrated trunk-mounted 6-disc CD changer.1

Integrated docking portable cellular telephone.1

1Center installed when ordered as individual options. factory installed when standard or when CD changer is ordered as part of Package SL2.

And standard on 600, optional on 500:

Adaptive Damping System(ADS) Standard ADS automatically selects one of four damping profiles every time a wheel changes its direction of up-down travel. ADS also includes automatic 4-wheel level control, driver-selectable ride height with speed-sensitive automatic lowering, and a driver-selectable sport mode.

I love this car. I would pull it into my living room so I could wax it during the evening while watching TV if I could.
Attached Thumbnails Need data on SL500 Sport versus SL600-mb-beach.jpg  
Old 06-23-2003, 03:41 PM

1977 L-82 Corvette
I love this car. I would pull it into my living room so I could wax it during the evening while watching TV if I could. [/B]

I was the same way with my Vette's

Old 06-23-2003, 04:07 PM

1999 SL 600 Sport Model
Originally posted by Cali,77,L-82
I was the same way with my Vette's

FWIW- In another lifetime I've had 14 Vettes. Most were mid-year models 63-67. In 69 I worked for Corvette Development for GM at the Proving Grounds in Milford Mich. I spoke to Duntov many times. He set it up so I could buy an LT1 engine a year before they were released to the public. They had 50 built and decided not to produce them that year so they sold me one.
I also had him as guest speaker for the convention I chaired for the National Council of Corvette Clubs (NCCC) in 1968. Fun days.
Sorry, MB owners. I know this is not a Vette list. I was just reminiscing about good times.
Old 06-23-2003, 04:14 PM

1977 L-82 Corvette
MB owners. I know this is not a Vette list. I was just reminiscing about good times. [/B]

John for one I am pleased to meet you. I still ove Vettes and will have a 68 BB vert in the garage next to my SL someday.
Two don't feel like an aplogy is needed. Half the vette forum owns or talks about MB's and it's not negatively. I respect and love all nice cars. (rice need not apply)
Old 07-01-2003, 12:05 PM

2011 E550 2011 Lexus GX460 2006 911 C4S cab. 2012 Jeep Sahara
Thumbs up SL 600 reliability

I have a 1996 SL600 with 33K on it (midnight blue/beige, AMG wheels). It is a spectacular car. I did all the research before I purchased. I wanted a 500, but was swayed into the 600 based upon several factors. It is a spectacular top of the line car, made by the finest car company in the world. Several mechanics who work on these cars referred to the car as "bulletproof", some of whom wished they could own one. It is the smoothest car I've ever owned. Step on the accelerator, and the car PULLS, almost sucks, you forward. Its effortless drivetrain is silky. At idle (in gear) you don't even feel or hear the car. Its the best MB makes, why settle for less?

However, the resale on these makes no sense. Why a used SL600 sells for what it does must be driven by "shopper" ignorance and 12 cylinder fear, at the expense of the original purchaser.

The sound system is awesome, brakes excellent, ride is smooooth, its just a great car and glad I own one. I find that the normal service costs maybe 5- 10% more for maintenance items, but that it requires no more maintenance than any other MB - perhaps even less. I have fixed a few things and a couple of issues that I had to resolve, but hey, its a car - what would you expect?

I've had several Lexuses, BMWs, 2 Porsches (one RUF), etc etc etc. - This car is the best of everything. Buy one.

Listen to people that own(ed) one, or work on them. Ignore the rest.

Good luck.