Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

CAN-BUS Radio in a non CAN-BUS car??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-09-2003, 05:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 CLK 320
CAN-BUS Radio in a non CAN-BUS car??

Can I install a CAN-BUS Radio (from a 2000 CLK 320) in a non CAN-BUS Car (98 C Class) ??? Will the radio start shutting off after 30 mins just like the COMAND because of the absence of a CANBUS connection? Thanks...
Old 03-06-2008, 05:23 PM

97 TJ
Hi, yeah I know this is an old thread, but I was wondering if you ever found a solution?

I bought a Chrysler model REQ radio (canbus) to put in a 1997 Jeep Wrangler (non-canbus). I had no idea of the problems when I bought the radio. I see Scosche has a connector to go from a canbus car to a non-canbus radio, but not the reverse. I obviously don't have any understanding of why the radio needs to be involved with canbus garbage so I asked them... and you can't use their connector backwards in my situation.

I thought that maybe I could get the canbus controller/ecu from the vehicle the radio came from... but I wouldn't know how to introduce in "on" signal to the controller since my ignition is also non-canbus.
Old 03-06-2008, 08:59 PM
XJ9

C350
Originally Posted by RDNZL
Hi, yeah I know this is an old thread, but I was wondering if you ever found a solution?

I bought a Chrysler model REQ radio (canbus) to put in a 1997 Jeep Wrangler (non-canbus). I had no idea of the problems when I bought the radio. I see Scosche has a connector to go from a canbus car to a non-canbus radio, but not the reverse. I obviously don't have any understanding of why the radio needs to be involved with canbus garbage so I asked them... and you can't use their connector backwards in my situation.

I thought that maybe I could get the canbus controller/ecu from the vehicle the radio came from... but I wouldn't know how to introduce in "on" signal to the controller since my ignition is also non-canbus.
There are a few companies out there that can build you a CAN piece that will basically give the radio the 'on' message but its going to be a custom job. I dont know how much you want to spend but you will have to decide if its worth it to spend possibly a few hundred dollars to get your radio working...
Old 03-07-2008, 12:31 AM

97 TJ
Any idea who could do something like that? I can't find any aftermarket 6 disc dvd in dash units.
Old 03-07-2008, 12:40 AM
XJ9

C350
Originally Posted by RDNZL
Any idea who could do something like that? I can't find any aftermarket 6 disc dvd in dash units.
You have pm
Old 03-13-2008, 12:36 PM

97 TJ
Talked to midcity, they said that it was impossible.
Old 03-13-2008, 01:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tesla Roadster Sport
you can get a canbus emulator from german ebay, basically it will take any 12v source and turn it into a canbus signal.
Old 04-26-2008, 11:10 PM

97 TJ
Hmmm, I don't speak German and I am having a hard time figuring this out. I see ones that do "Are put to CAN BUS interface the following signals at the disposal: Tacho/ignition/lighting/back driving signal". German ebay auction # Artikelnummer: 280098295646. Is that what I need? Just the ignition signal, or is there a better application that would work better for me?

What about the problem that some people have told me that the radio doesn't have an internal amp? Do you know if that is true?

I would really like to have this radio in my Jeep.

Thanks
Old 05-19-2008, 09:30 PM

97 TJ
I emailed many different vendors on the German ebay, got a pair of responses, they said that they didn't think that their units would match the protocol of the Jeep canbus system.

If anyone knows that a specific unit would match the Jeep protocol I would appreciate a heads up.
Thanks
Old 08-31-2012, 09:52 AM

2009 Grand Cherokee
Can Bus Radio into Non Can Bus Vehicle

Has anyone ever figured out a solution to this ? I would like to do the same thing, put a 2009 Jeep Grand Cherokee radio/cd/satellite deck into an antique motor home that I'm restoring, sure would be nice to find a way to make it work as I got the radio FREE.

Thanks for any help !

Ray