GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

IPhone with IPOD integration kit.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-26-2007, 01:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'08 GL 320CDI
IPhone with IPOD integration kit.

Is anyone using an IPhone with their Ipod integration kit? Just curious to hear if the bluetooth phone works ok, even if the IPod feature is playing a selected music track.
Old 11-13-2007, 12:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
2005 S500 4-Matic, 1978 450SL
I have read some posts where folks have used the iPhone mp3 capability through an iPod adapter.
Old 11-14-2007, 12:42 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
GL 450
Originally Posted by JDT1
Is anyone using an IPhone with their Ipod integration kit? Just curious to hear if the bluetooth phone works ok, even if the IPod feature is playing a selected music track.
Yes, it works fine when plugged into the iPod cable in the glove box. Bluetooth can see it for calls and antenna phone strength while weaker in the glove box, still is acceptable in all but very weak coverage areas.
Old 11-14-2007, 01:21 AM

2008 GL450 / 1999 ML320
Originally Posted by JDT1
As others have noted - yes iPhone works fine with iPod integration kit and with bluetooth for phone.
Old 11-14-2007, 08:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
2011 E350 Cabriolet..White and Almond Mocha
Originally Posted by Skylaw
I have read some posts where folks have used the iPhone mp3 capability through an iPod adapter.
Hey Skylaw...how are you doing....long time no talk.

I have not tried my iPhone yet connected with the iPod connection but will today just to see if it works. I have the cradle BT for my RAZR so will be interesting to see if the iPhone will connect to it. I could not get the iPhone to connect to it in the S550. Not really needed since I leave the RAZR in the car full time anyway.
Old 11-15-2007, 06:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Hi, Jack - good to hear from you.

The iPhone should work with the iPod integration kit, but I doubt it will pair with the RAZR cradle. For some reason, that cradle seems limited to RAZRs, even in a undocked situation. While the operating instructions for other pucks says up to 4 phones may be paired, the RAZR cradle instructions go so far as to say up to 4 RAZRs may be paired. Other contributors have confirmed inability to pair other phones.

Please update us if you find something different.
Old 11-18-2007, 11:29 PM

GL450
iPhone and GL450 with bluetooth adaptor

Everything works like a charm. iPhone calls placed and recieved work great in the GL450 with bluetooth adaptor. The phone book is linked to the nav as well. When connected to the ipod adaptor in glovebox it music sounds great too. You should hit "no" when the iphone tries to go to airplane mode if you want the phone to work too. You must first activate the playlist you want if you want some order to your music on the phone. Goto audio then hit auxillary and the iphone music will play. High bass and trebble is the default setting and sounds great overall with the harmon kardon system. I set my Sat and FM settings to high bass and trebble and had huge improvements in sound as well. You have to cycle through the steering wheel menu system pass the gas and tire pressure options and you will see the iphone Song data and then you can use the arrow keys to fast forward or rewind. I don't think you can actually navigate the iphone music menus which is not safe while driving anyway. Playlists and fastforwarding works fine and is the safest while driving. When you get a call via iphone and bluetooth or you switch to Sat or FM your song pauses. When your iphone call ends or you go back to Auxilary the iphone song starts again where you left off. It is so amazing how well it all works just like you were listening to the phone directly.

I still have much to learn about this 2008 GL450 electronics but iphone integration with bluetooth and the glovebox adaptors works perfectly.
Old 11-19-2007, 03:31 PM

MB
You guys convinced me! I bought an I-phone this morning. Thought I'd kill two birds with one phone...
Old 11-20-2007, 08:19 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
M5 Jahre Edition S, KTM 1290R Super Duke ,C63 AMG 2011[Gone],A45 AMG 2013, MV Agusta 750 [2000]
Iphone

I have just plugged my iphone in to the ipod scocket but to no avail, all it does is charge up the iphone. I cant even get it to sync up with the command system when searching for bluetooth components.

Krgds
Eck

CLS,[05] Iridium Silver,,Amg bodystyling with twin Amg Exhaust,Amg 19" Alloys,Nappa Club Design,High Gloss Laurel Wood,Driver& passenger full electric pack + mirrors + sterring column, Heatedfront seats,Heated rear seats,Keyless Go,Luxury Climate Control,Parktronic,Remote boot closing, Paddle Steering Wheel Shift Button's, Bi-Xenon Lamps with Active Light System + cornering + headlamp wash,6 Disc Cd Changer,Command APS with Cd/Dvd + Sat Nav system,Harmon/Kardon Logic 7 surround sound -recent ipod hard wire,via command system Telephone prewire, Type of phone Sony T68 , Rear Amg Lip Spoiler ,Updated Management system ECU + 50 Bhp + 95NM Torque. [274bhp as per DMS]
Old 11-21-2007, 07:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

DeusNYC has provided us with some of the most extensive tips we have for synching the iPhone; there are some other tips as well. I don't have them bookmarked, but a forum search on "iPhone" (here and on BenzWorld) should get them for you.

I'm not clear as to whether our car doesn't recognize the mp3 player portion (which it should do through the iPod kit) or the Bluetooth portion (which it would do through a Bluetooth setup). The iPhone definitely does not provide phone services through the iPod kit.

Last, most of the people reporting success with the iPhone in their MBs have been in the U.S., where the Handsfree Protocol is used for Bluetooth. European specification UHI systems use an entirely different protocol (SAP) - and unfortunately, I don't know if the iPhone is designed for that. It does have a SIM card, so perhaps it is.

Sorry it's not a complete answer, but it's the best I can do. We'll be interested in any feedback.

Last edited by Skylaw; 11-21-2007 at 07:34 AM.
Old 11-26-2007, 03:11 PM

Is there any way to get the song info to display on the Command display? I have tried in two different ML550's I am looking at and with no success. Only info displayed on the instrument cluster display....
Old 11-26-2007, 03:43 PM

2016 GL63 & 2008 S550
You're looking at a design issue. This is the way the MB iPod integration works on all of their vehicles. The MFD (Instrument Cluster) if the only place that ipod-related info will display. I've read on other forums about after-market installations that show detail on the COMAND screen, but I know of no way to do that via the factory setup.
Old 11-27-2007, 11:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CommanderCody is exactly right. The Dension Gateway 500, an aftermarket kit, will display song titles on the COMAND screen in its MOST bus units. However, it does not display song titles on the instrument cluster display yet, though upcoming improvements may provide that capability.
Old 11-29-2007, 02:30 PM

How much does one of those cost?
Old 12-02-2007, 03:11 PM

2016 GL63 & 2008 S550
You're looking at approximately $500.00 for the unit. From what I've read, the install instructions that ship with the device are sparse, and the harnesses can be complicated to figure out. There's plenty of resources out there to help you out, though, and I have found several positive testimonials from people that have installed these in E-class and older S-class MOST units. I have not yet found a set of instructions for the GL, but I would imagine it's very similar to the E-class.

From what I've read, the MFD will only display the track number, but the COMAND unit will show track data from the ipod or attached device (USB, etc.)

It's pricy, but I'm in it for the long haul with my 550. I'll probably give it some time, and pick up a module if/when the prices drop a bit.