Need a comapro of Range Rover Sport to ML and X5

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-30-2007, 09:44 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What I find
Need a comapro of Range Rover Sport to ML and X5

I am thinking of getting a Range Rover Sport. What do you think of the truck, any issues, overall impressions. Can you guys compare to a BMW X5 or ML 550 or ML 63?

Thanks.
Old 08-30-2007, 10:10 PM

You name it i've had it or got it...
I wouldn't even consider a ML unless you are talking about the ML63. The Range Rover Sport and Bmw X5 are way vehicles in my opinion. But to help you out more...I need to know what you would like to know more about. I have had all of these except for the ML63...which I have been in and like very much. Hard part is the price difference of all the vehicles is scattered...but what is it that you are looking for out of this vehicle?
Old 08-30-2007, 10:34 PM
Almost a Member!

What I find
I now have a 2005 X5 4.4 and love it. Best truck I have ever owned. Drives like a car, tows like a truck, I have even had it in water up to the middle of the door. I could not imagine a better vehicle.

The lease is up soon and I have been looking at other cars. I have not driven a RRS or a ML. I only want to test drive the week I am ready to buy, dont like wasting Sales peoples time.

I am just looking for general feedback. There is only so much I can read from test mags on the subject.

I love the looks of the RRS but dont think the BMW and ML are shappy either. I do like the free maintance of the BMW and have had all brake pads replaced and am up to my 4th oil change. Dealer service is also great.

I would like to "upgrade" and feel the RR and the ML is an upgrade.

The Wife will also be driving the new car and she like the way the RR looks. I would take any and all feed back of the three trucks you could give me.

How is build quality, how is performance on and off road, towing, realiablity and service. Also how is the tactile feel of each truck?
Old 08-30-2007, 11:16 PM

Well all 3 drive like cars so you are on the right track. I am going to stray all around so try to keep up...lol. I too love the looks of the RR sport. Very unique and stylish. The ML63 is obviously going to be the fastest out of the 3. The power of the ML63 is not as torquey feeling as the RR but has more top end. About the same torquey feeling as the BMW...but the ML63 has way more top end power again here too. The fit and finish of the RR is the worst of the 3 as far as interior is concerned. Most of it is good...but I just hate all the plastic in the middle on the console etc.. I think the Mercedes is best with BMW taking close second. Then again neither of these companies ever really slack on the interiors...at least not compared to other car manufacturers around the world..minus the Italians. The steering feel of the X5 is typical BMW...very tight and has precision accuracy. The Mercedes is probably the sloppiest of the 3. The RR Sport is very close to how the BMW feels. Haven't had much luck with RR service dept...and the fact they give you a freaking Ford taurus or escape as a loaner car is a freaking joke. The suspension truck wise is best on the RR. i just think it is very versatile. A true truck...yet it drives like a car. I think the other 2 are more of cars...that have the ability to perpetrate as a truck due to their sheet metal. The other 2 aren't as versatile in my opinion. I think the RR is an upgrade...it has that upper class feel to it...so I agree that it is a step up over the X5. I even feel that it has that over the ML63...but the ML63 is what it is...it is a beast. Haven't tracked the market on the ML63...but I know on the RR Sport with the S/C the market is strong as hell. The car is the only Land Rover to hold its value very strong. There is a reason for that...at the price point it is at. It isn't too much...it isn't too little...it is just right. And obviously the market has dictated this. The BMW should have a fairly strong hold on it's value...the Mercedes i'm guessing...will kick you in the n@t$. I hope this helps some...if you ask more I will continue on...just need to take a break for a second...have to grab some food.
Old 08-31-2007, 12:50 AM

sl55, range rover sport
rrs

Cosmos,
i just sold a rrs that i have owned for 6 months,i only did 3000 miles
and really enjoyed the motor.
when i took the wifes lr3 in for a service i wandered into the MB showroom whilst i was waiting to pick up the lr3 and saw the ml63,contest over,i had a test drive of the 63 and it was addios rrs.
Although the rrs is a great looking motor the build quality is no where near MB,
I had 22 boots on it,stormer style,plus a boat load of other goodies,it still does not come close to the 63.
Being a brit you would think i would be a bit bias towards the rrs,sorry but no.
I have also had the full size range(2004)there again great tool but to dull in the driving dept,also quality issues.
As for the x5,Quality seems ok,but every man and his dog has got one
I had the ML55 6 years ago,great motor for its day,the ml63 is the donkeys nuts for its day IMHO.
Cosmos,get a test drive in a 63,when you have stopped smiling,place your order

happy motoring bc brit
Old 08-31-2007, 01:10 AM
Almost a Member!

bmw m3
Having driven all the cars you mention (except for the ml550, i drove an ml 500), I can give an overall opinion of them to you. I decided on the ml63 in the end.

The bmw x5 is a great vehicle. It has grown in size over the old model however, and this size gain can definitely be felt behind the wheel. It looks pretty spartan in anything but full sport trim with the 20" wheels. Also, here in Canada, equipping it in that spec pushes the price near the ml63, and over an ml550. Next to the 63, its performance is not really comparable, and the handling is about the same, though the ml63 seems to handle better when pushed hard, both from what i read and from what i can feel from driving them. the ml550 (500) is less aggressive than the 63, and probably would be just below a sport x5 in terms of handling. the interior of the 63 is better than the x5, especially the seats, which are in my opinion the best in class. the x5 interior has a bit of the new 3 series in it with its material choice.

The RR sport is in my opinion the worst of the three. Its price here in canada is exactly the same as the 63. The ml63 undoubtedly handles better, feels better from behind the wheel, and has much better quality interior. (one magazine, i think road and track, tested the RR sport through the slalom and found it to be slower than a toyota prius) Again, seats are no comparison, especially the rear seats, which are often overlooked in suv's.

The 400hp of the s'charged engine in the RR is more than dulled by the weight of the truck. In fact, the ml500 feels more powerful, and no doubt the 550 will be quicker. I'm not sure i agree with the above post, as i would say the 63 feel much quicker and more torquey at any speed than the RR sport. The bottom line is that the 63 is MUCH quicker than either of the other cars, and though you pay for it in fuel economy, the RR sport is sure to be just as bad due to its weight. I would again disagree on the point about the steering. The ml63 has great steering, which weights up nicely in the corners. In fact, it is better than the x5's active steer system.

The RR sport has sold in part on its looks, which are quite good. It is probably one of the better designs for suvs out there, though next to a beefed up 63 it can look a little thin. the design will, obviously, be a matter of opinion. The sport, while a nice design, and carrying a classic range rover badge, is not nearly as sporty as the x5 or 63. it is too heavy, and doesnt really have the engine. furthermore, while mercedes and bmw are not exemplary in the reliability department, range rover is renowned for its poor reliability. Like you, i find bmw service to be excellent, and mercedes so far has been great.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by ajmamg; 08-31-2007 at 01:33 AM.
Old 08-31-2007, 10:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1961 Mercedes-Benz 190SL and 2016 BMW X5M
ML63 vs. BMW X5 vs. Range Rover Sport

Cosmos

I have a 2007 ML63 that I had ordered in 3/07 and took delivery in early June and now have approx. 3,000 miles on it. Also, I previously had two BMW X5 4.4i’s - 2001 & 2004 models with sport package and full BMW exterior aero body trim kits. I leased both of those vehicles for 3 years. This past spring I test drove the 2007 BMW X5 4.8 and was surprised to find that its handling was not quite as good as the 2004 X5 model. As previous posters have noted the acceleration on the ’07 BMW 4.8 is about the same as on earlier 4.4’s due to the added weight on the new model. (If BMW had put the M5 & M6's 500hp V-10 into the new X5 model as another option, it would have been a tougher choice for me and probably others here as well…). BTW, I also previously had a 2004 E55 AMG that completely corrupted and spoiled me for wanting to always have the ability to have brutally fast acceleration when I am driving. Having thoroughly enjoyed the power and build quality of my '04 E55, I decided to go with the ML63 and after 3,000 miles do not regret that choice at all.

Did I consider the E63 AMG wagon? Yes, for a few seconds, but I am "old school" and it is still a station wagon, with all of the memories and connotations from my childhood, although probably the hottest wagon available. My neighbor has had three Range Rovers and has had nothing but problems with them, to the point where his RR Dealer gave him a new vehicle, (required under NJ’s Lemon Law), due to the number and extent of defects, failures and problems on his 2006 model. The only real negatives for the ML63 is its resale value will drop more and faster than the other two models and its gas mileage is poor, (I’m getting 15.5 mpg on the highway and single digits in city traffic).

Therefore, I add my vote and recommendation to test drive a ML63 and see what you think and if it’s close comparison, go with the Mercedes. If I want good gas mileage and fun driving I borrow my wife’s new 2007 BMW 335i twin turbo coupe w/sport pkg. since it gets well over 20 mpg on average.

BTW - Another observation about BMW vs. Mercedes-Benz, as a result of our two very recent acquisitions. BMW provides their "Assist" system (their version of M-B TeleAid free-of-charge for the first four (4) years of car ownership, whereas M-B TeleAid is free for just the 1st year then $240/year after that. Also my wife's BMW 335i comes with regular maintenance/service covered free-of-charge for the first 4-years or 50,000 miles, whichever comes first. M-B used to have this program as well, (my '04 E55 was covered under it). Unfortunately, M-B decided last year to discontinue this program due to its high cost to them, transferring that cost to us owners. Oh well...

AVB-AMG
Old 08-31-2007, 11:03 AM

well the question here is....adding money to the equation. yes i feel the ml63 is the best vehicle out of the 3...but the price also dictates this. and with the way depreciation hits...the gap will surely close over the next few years. if he is leasing it...then holding its value should matter too much since he will turn it in anyway and pays for it out of the monthly payments. i love the ml63...just hard to determine if i love it almost 100k love it. i will agree that the rrs is pricey too....especially how the interior feels. but i think it is a great vehicle. i guess you just need to test drive them....just like a choosing a wife or a girlfriend. you should "just know" if it is for you. if it isn't you can move on after some time...wish you the best of luck...i don't think if you chose any of the 3 that you would be unhappy.
Old 08-31-2007, 02:24 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
06 CLS55, 07 997TT, 07 ML63, 10 X6M, 11 Alpina B7, 12 997TTS, 13 G63, 13 MP4-12C
I did briefly considered the new X5, but compared with the ML63 it's like a turtle. I also feel the old X5 controls it's body motion much better than the new X5. I however, positively loved the techno interior of the new X5 but that detail is not enough to win over the sheer power of the ML63.

The RR Sport looks nice, but it's not the proper 'real' RR, it's just a smaller LR3 with a little nicer interior. Plus LandRover never really shaken off their reputation hit from the Discovery, (slow, unreliable, poorly build, quesionable interior fit and finish), last I heard, that reputation still stands true.

I had a LR3 before, boy was I glad to get rid of that piece of junk, only reason I bought it was that my wife love the extra high driver position, plus we got suckered by the salesman about how much better the LR3 is over the troublesome Discovery. For some reason wifes are attracted to the LandRover company, when I decided to get rid of the LR3, she had initially suggested we should swap it for the RR Sport or the RR, I veto-ed her within a milisecond. RR Sport is based on the LR3 and everything I hated about the LR3 will still be there, RR is just too poser-ish, it looks good inside and out and that's about it, it doesn't do acceleration, it doesn't turn properly, it also rides like a 80s Caddy.
Old 08-31-2007, 03:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The Ford (Range Rover) shouldnt even be in this comparo, because it simply does not compare. Although im not a big fan of BMWs current lineup, the X5 is a great truck, but the ML63 is just that much better.
I NEVER thought id get an SUV at my age (Im 23) with no kids. Then, I test drove it. I couldnt stop thinking about it for a few days and just went and bought it. Good luck with your search , as you can tell I def. recommend the ML63
Old 08-31-2007, 03:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'08 M5, '10 Land Cruiser
My friend has just bought an '08 Range Rover Sport Supercharged and I have to say I think it is a great SUV. I previously owned the full-size model and the SC Sport is so much more responsive. It'll get to 60 is around 6.9sec which is non too shabby while it must be remembered that it is also a true off-roader that would leave the ML or X5 behind in the mud. Compared to the reviseed Cayenne, the handling is not quite as sharp but it is good. Also it is very handsome and comes *fully* loaded unlike the Porsche or any of the competition.

Reliability can be a concern but 4-year warranty and the realization that their are bad eggs in every marque makes this not so important. LR are making great strides in this department.

BC Brit- I'm assuming you had the non-Supercharged model? In which case the absence of the Dynamic Response supension system and Brembo brakes makes a huge difference, not to mention the additional 100bhp and 100lb/ft. 22s is also something not to be recommended for a multitude of reasons.
Old 09-01-2007, 02:56 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
06 CLS55, 07 997TT, 07 ML63, 10 X6M, 11 Alpina B7, 12 997TTS, 13 G63, 13 MP4-12C
The offroad capability of the Land Rovers are over-rated. They never let you know how much they modded their trucks for the Camel Trophy, mostly they will only say it's 'mostly stock'. In showroom stock form it's not much better than a ML, or a X5. 2 winters ago I managed to get the snowtire-ed LR3 almost stuck in 6-8 inches of snow while my neighbour had no trouble getting out in his snow-tired W163 ML500 out on the unplowed road. Yes I had my TR system in snow.

When I had the LR3 I was invited to one of Land Rover's Offroad Experiences, the demonstrator/driver managed to get a RR Sport AND a LR3 stuck on seperate occasion in nothing more than a mud path. They were already shoe-ed with offroad tires and the demonstrator had been in the program a few years. He wasn't embrassed, it's almost like he was expecting the truck to get stuck. His comments was that's why there are winches mounted in the front.

To me at least, if I were ever to go offroad, my truck of choice would be either a Jeep Wrangler or a Jeep Grand Cherokee (Non-SRT).
Old 09-01-2007, 03:37 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
If you want to be able to go off road and still have luxury, why not try out either the G-Class or the LX470 / LX570 (coming out in January 2008)?
Old 09-01-2007, 12:42 PM
Almost a Member!

What I find
Ok, so its not going to be RRS. Love the truck, wanted the "upscale" look, but its not really for me (its for the wife) and wont cut it. I think its going to be ML 550 vs. X5. My old (current 2005) X5 has been off road many times. I have driven thru 1 foot of unplowed snow with summer tires and on an unplowed freeway at Midnight trying to get up a mountain pass; This is all being done by a guy from California. The X5 as I mentioned does tow my GT3 and did an amazing job. It also has been in water up to the middle of the doors. I was really looking for a back to back comparisons and you guys have done that and more.

Thank you guys again.

Last edited by cosmos; 09-01-2007 at 12:44 PM.
Old 09-05-2007, 11:01 AM

Pcar
Just joined this forum, so hello everyone.

Im in the same boat.
I currently own a heavily modded e46 M3. Now I need a larger and more versatile car/SUV.
In Canada. the ML63 is a better value(if you can call it that), then the 4.8 X5 and the RRS Supercharged. Im hoping to book a test drive soon.
Im also considering a Cayenne Turbo if I can import one for the US
Old 09-05-2007, 11:43 AM

CL63
Cool Wait IAA

Same problem here, i was gona change my ML63 but then decided to wait until Frankfurt motor show gona visit it myself. I can a sure u that there will be a lot of new SUVs to see, im really waiting for new x6 and sport x5, and speaking about range rover sure u know that ford gona sell land rover to new owner so it’s not really positive i think. Speaking about ML I can say that the quality of the cabin is really afoul in comparison with new range rover (esp. supercharged one) and x5.
Old 09-06-2007, 01:05 PM

07 ML63 Silver Dead at 85k, 14 RS5, 05 SL600
I couldn't resist.

This is how I usually see the RR!
Attached Thumbnails Need a comapro of Range Rover Sport to ML and X5-image_003.jpg  
Old 09-06-2007, 03:43 PM
Jo

2011 ML63
Originally Posted by kokanee
This is how I usually see the RR!
I think over 85% of them go back to the shop for service. They have one of the worst ratings.
Old 09-06-2007, 07:17 PM
Almost a Member!

What I find
Looks lke its going to be the X6. Yes, the new X6 should be here in March. I can wait a few more months for somthing very cool.
Old 09-07-2007, 05:48 PM

wife's car2014 ml350
drive the ml550, a huge difference between the ml500 and the ml550, and wow! drove it yesterday.
love the service with the x5 but it's a heavy truck and needs more hp.

bottom line.....
the bmw feels sportyer, the ml550 is sportyer