Clear Protective Film

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-09-2007, 04:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
E63 P30, CL500 Sport
Clear Protective Film Questions / Concerns

I was planning on having Premier install clear protective film on the whole car. Where I live, I don't have to worry about paint chips or flying rocks, but I do worry about swirl marks. I HATE swirl marks. However, after reading some of the threads in the S-Class forums, I'm thinking twice about doing it. I would like to get your feedback, experiences and opinions on this issue.

Oh and here are some questinos:

1) Will Protective Film prevent or (at least) reduce swirl marks? *** (most important to me)

2) If I do get swirl marks on the film, will it be easier to take off the film than it is from the paint?

3) Will extreme heat damage the film or cause it to expand or detach? Temperatures here average at 105 in the summer but sometimes reach 112 degrees.

4) Does the film leave any residue? If so, will it harm the paint in the long run?

If you prefer to PM, please do...

Last edited by MB_Forever; 06-09-2007 at 06:48 PM.
Old 06-10-2007, 12:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 WHITE RENNTECH E55
How do you plan to get swirl marks on a clear bra tape? Wheel that car with the stuff on it. No ones going to know if the stuff you plan to put on is gonna fade because what type of clear is it 3M, or junk?
Old 06-10-2007, 05:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63 P30, CL500 Sport
Swirl Marks On Protective Film

Originally Posted by MOROSO55
How do you plan to get swirl marks on a clear bra tape? Wheel that car with the stuff on it. No ones going to know if the stuff you plan to put on is gonna fade because what type of clear is it 3M, or junk?
Premier only uses venture (I think).

Many people told me that the film will eventually get swirl marks from repeated washes. Is this true?

Last edited by MB_Forever; 06-10-2007 at 06:26 AM.
Old 06-10-2007, 10:07 AM

2014 GL 350 on order
I have the 3M product on our whole fleet. Its not intended to address 'swirl marks'. You only get swirl marks if you mis-handle your finish-Joker
Old 06-10-2007, 10:44 AM

MB-
1. The film most certainly can swirl,fade, scratch etc as with any plastic.
2. It is very difficult to remove these swirls as you can not simply polish off the top level of the plastic as you can with clear coat to remove swirls.
3. Extreme heat will not cause it to detach, but over time can cause a yellowing tint.
4. I have never seen the actual glue damage paint when removed, but I have seen the mask pull paint up with it in some cases, especially if your vehicles have ever been repainted.

Ultimately, DONT DO IT! It will not be worth the $$, and honestly will not look very good on a whole car. No matter how good the install is, you simply CAN NOT make it perfectly transparent. You will see wrinkles, bubbles etc. I have seen people do whole hoods and it is very obvious as the texture is just wrong. clear masks on vehicles, and they are fantastic at preventing chips without adding ugly bras to the front of your car, but that is truely the only benefit.
Hope this helps.
Old 06-10-2007, 11:53 AM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Don't do it.
If you are as picky with the finish as you seam, then why not just get it treated right? Swirl marks are just a sign of lazy detailing.
Old 06-10-2007, 12:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63 P30, CL500 Sport
Originally Posted by jangy
Don't do it.
If you are as picky with the finish as you seam, then why not just get it treated right? Swirl marks are just a sign of lazy detailing.
It's just that in my experience with my other black cars, I've learned that no matter where you get the car detailed, you will eventually still GET swirl marks... especially on black cars. I've taken my cars to the best detailing shops, but after a couple of years, I STILL start noticing swirl marks. I just hate it...

I've changed my mind already about doing the whole car, as I've received many e-mails warning me not to do it. I will probably just do the bumper.

Last edited by MB_Forever; 06-10-2007 at 09:54 PM.
Old 06-10-2007, 05:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2003 E55
Wink

Originally Posted by MB_Forever
I've changed my mind already about doing the whole car, as I've received many e-mails warning me not to do it. I will probably just do the pumber.

Did your car come with the pumber or was it added afterwards? How much do pumbers cost for an e55? I've never seen one with a pumber.
Old 06-10-2007, 06:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2011 GL550, 2004 Audi S4 v8
Originally Posted by MB_Forever
It's just that in my experience with my other black cars, I've learned that no matter where you get the car detailed, you will eventually still GET swirl marks... especially on black cars. I've taken my cars to the best detailing shops, but after a couple of years, I STILL start noticing swirl marks. I just hate it...

I've changed my mind already about doing the whole car, as I've received many e-mails warning me not to do it. I will probably just do the pumber.

Don't get black cars....
Old 06-12-2007, 10:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Several MB's Superperformance MK III Cobra
Originally Posted by MBARON
MB-
1. The film most certainly can swirl,fade, scratch etc as with any plastic.
2. It is very difficult to remove these swirls as you can not simply polish off the top level of the plastic as you can with clear coat to remove swirls.
3. Extreme heat will not cause it to detach, but over time can cause a yellowing tint.
4. I have never seen the actual glue damage paint when removed, but I have seen the mask pull paint up with it in some cases, especially if your vehicles have ever been repainted.

Ultimately, DONT DO IT! It will not be worth the $$, and honestly will not look very good on a whole car. No matter how good the install is, you simply CAN NOT make it perfectly transparent. You will see wrinkles, bubbles etc. I have seen people do whole hoods and it is very obvious as the texture is just wrong. clear masks on vehicles, and they are fantastic at preventing chips without adding ugly bras to the front of your car, but that is truely the only benefit.
Hope this helps.
I have had it on my cars as well. I agree with everything that you said. The stuff is not worth it and the manufactures will not stand behind their warranties. It is JUNK.