C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

G-Class comand in w203, C harness

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-21-2007, 05:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'02 C240
G-Class comand in w203, C harness

Hi All,

Managed to get my hands on a cheap G-Class (W463/A463) comand unit! Was just wondering if anyone knows where I can get a harness to connect the existing C connector to the C1 and C2 connections on the back of the comand unit?

I know you can get all the individual parts etc was just wondering if there was a ready made solution available?

Also, if anyone has a spare yellow 25 degree gyro adapter lying around and wants to sell it let me know and how much you want for it.

And finally anyone selling a 2002 or newer navigation disc for CA (disc 1) please get in touch

Cheers in advance!
Old 01-21-2007, 06:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
W203 slightly modified
Originally Posted by RumbleUK
Hi All,

Managed to get my hands on a cheap G-Class (W463/A463) comand unit! Was just wondering if anyone knows where I can get a harness to connect the existing C connector to the C1 and C2 connections on the back of the comand unit?

I know you can get all the individual parts etc was just wondering if there was a ready made solution available?

Also, if anyone has a spare yellow 25 degree gyro adapter lying around and wants to sell it let me know and how much you want for it.

And finally anyone selling a 2002 or newer navigation disc for CA (disc 1) please get in touch

Cheers in advance!
It wont work unless you run a wire from the front fuse box to the speed pin in the navigation. Why do you think it was so cheap ?
Old 01-21-2007, 06:57 PM

'02 C240
yeah i knew that already and have that sorted out why do you think I didnt ask for that ?
Old 01-21-2007, 07:30 PM

'02 C240
Sorry that was a cheeky response to a cheeky comment! I don't really wanna act that way on this forum but it irks me when people add their comments onto forums unjustly, if you had just said something like... 'btw if you didnt already know you need to run a wire from the front fuse box to the speed pin in the navigation' ... then that would have been a really nice comment and you wouldnt look bad and have to make me look bad in the process.

I bought the comand unit from a non-mb autoshop who couldnt offer any warranty for it and hence got it very cheap. Turns out it powered up and had a german nav disc in it, and everything seems ok, even updated it to MY01.
Old 01-21-2007, 07:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W203 slightly modified
Sorry that was a cheeky response to a cheeky comment! I don't really wanna act that way on this forum but it irks me when people add their comments onto forums unjustly, if you had just said something like... 'btw if you didnt already know you need to run a wire from the front fuse box to the speed pin in the navigation' ... then that would have been a really nice comment and you wouldnt look bad and have to make me look bad in the process.

I bought the comand unit from a non-mb autoshop who couldnt offer any warranty for it and hence got it very cheap. Turns out it powered up and had a german nav disc in it, and everything seems ok, even updated it to MY01.
Let me start be stating the obvious .... you know everything.
Old 01-21-2007, 08:16 PM

'02 C240
whats your point on this thread other than just inflating your post count?
Old 01-21-2007, 08:35 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
g class in a c-class? Thats sweet man, post some pics i wana see the unit.. Which command is it?
Old 01-21-2007, 08:49 PM

'02 C240
hi sirenebekim, the comand looks the same as w203's the only difference is thats it requires an extra bit of wiring to get a speed signal to it and the gyroscope angle needs to be adjusted to compensate for the different angle the unit sits in the 203's centre console.

Its been done before, usually people just install the regular 203 comands but if you can get a hold of a g-class comand for cheaper then I guess its all good
Old 01-21-2007, 09:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W203 slightly modified
I suppose a search would be too draining.
Old 01-21-2007, 11:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
excites your girlfriend
Originally Posted by benzmodz
Let me start be stating the obvious .... you know everything.

hey nothing wrong with a little post count inflation!
Old 01-22-2007, 02:22 AM

c240 and 69 cadi cdv conv
i agree
Old 01-22-2007, 03:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

ML63 AMG
Okay, not sure why people are being so rude; but anyway, that's interesting, I didn't know that was possible. Post pics when you can; so how much wiring was needed? Did you do it yourself?

I'm looking to install a Comand sometime soon, most likely one from a C-Class, however, if you do a DIY for the install - or list what's necessary to do then perhaps this could be an option. Does the Comand have all the exact features, or are they a tad different?

Tee_Tz.
Old 01-22-2007, 04:00 PM

2006 C230SS Blue/Black, 2003 SL500 Silver/Black
I have no idea at all.
Old 09-11-2007, 04:22 AM

'02 C240
Finally Installed COMAND!

Ok just a quick update, so I managed to get round to actually installing the g-class comand into my c-class and it was surprisingly easy, thanks to a compilation of posts on this site and other websites.

Took me all in all probably four hours to do, just for the install not including ordering parts etc.

The best bit is that is cost me $273 in total! (That includes the Comand Head unit) Let me explain.

I was very lucky in getting hold of a w463 Comand head unit for $150, yes you read that right! I bought it off a non-MB dealership, it was a bit of a risk as they had had it stored on a shelf for a couple of years and all I was told was it worked when it was removed and that it currently powered up. For $150 I thought it was worth the risk (if all else failed I probably could have gotten rid of it as 'for spares, untested' for the same price!)

Anyway, the unit came just on its own so no cables or nav disc etc. Here's a list of parts and their costs if anyone wanted to do the same

A463 820 10 89 Head unit Euro Comand - $150
Navigation Disc 01 CA & NV [Ebay] - $15.00
GPS receiver [Ebay] - $19.95
A203 540 09 09 98 C1 and C2 COMAND harness [Duval Motorcars] - $27.30
A210 440 50 05 AUX input harness [Duval Motorcars] - $21.45
A001 984 64 29 Mounting Screws (x4) @ $0.50 each [Duval Motorcars] - $2.00
A008 545 55 26 C1 & C2 connector pins (x8) @ $1.09 [Duval Motorcars] - $8.72
A038 545 48 28 Speed sensor Connector housing [Duval Motorcars] - $2.65
A013 545 76 26 Speed Sensor connector pins (x2) @ $0.94 each [Duval Motorcars] - $1.88
Various Postage charges (Nav Disc $7.50, GPS Receiver $7.95, Duval Motorcars $8.85) - $24.30

TOTAL $273.25

In essence depending on where you go to get your parts it should cost about $120 to $150 to install, on top of the cost of the COMAND head unit, plus a few/several worthwhile hours of your time!

Here is a quick description of how I did my installation and to do it yourself if you fancy the challenge and satisfaction of it ....

TOOLS
T20 Torx bit and screwdriver (a 'bit' because some screws are harder to reach so a single moulded screwdriver may not work)
An angle/elbow extension (for tight spots as described above, I had previously bought one from a 99cent store its like a snake screwdriver socket extension)
Long nosed pliers
Small flat screwdriver
Wire cutter/stripper
Crimping tool
Cluster removal tools (wire coat hanger, or MB tool W140589023300)
Cable ties (if you want to tidy up)

[Cost of these tools add to the cost of the installation, I didnt add them to my total as I already had them but in my opinion cost of multifunctional tools is an investment, my estimate would be about $50 depending where you go, a diy/mechanic 'set' would probably include most of the above)

Installation and Wiring

Put your wipers in the mid-way/upright position, this will help when you come to installing the speed signal.

(Heres a useful link to a post that describes replacing stepper motors but thanks to Racin_Fool and liveniceguy it has a description and more importantly pictures of how to remove panels on the console https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...stepper+motors )

[Btw use this and any other guidance on this forum at your own risk, you're responsible for your own actions]

Start with removing the gear shifter panel and ashtray.

OK take your keys out of the ignition slot, disconnecting stuff while your keys are in can throw up faults you don't want, as long as things like the ac unit, hazard light panel, cluster and fusebox are unplugged don't have your key in the ignition.

(Here is a link to a COMAND installation WIS its also helpful for removing the console panels, figuring out connectors and connector pin locations etc http://phdwebsite.powerpulse.cc/COMA...oval%20WIS.pdf)

Now remove the center console vent and the center console paneling, unplug the ac control unit (two plugs) and the hazard light panel (one or more plugs).

Remove, i'm assuuming, the radio unit (unplug all the connectors in the back) and remove the storage compartment below it, this is where the COMAND unit will be seated.

Cut the C connector off and strip the end of each wire ready for rewiring to the C1 and C2 connectors on the COMAND harness (A203540090998). This COMAND harness comes prewired with an AUX in adapter connected to the C2 connector, so simply plug in the male connector from the AUX in harness (A2104405005) and now you can hook up an mp3 player to the other end with the 3.5mm input jack.

Ok So now we connect the old wiring to the new harness below is a 'from and to' explanation of the pin transfer from the old C connector to the new C1 and C2 connectors on the COMAND harness.

C Pin 1 (Brown/Red) to C2 Pin 9 - [CAN Hi]
C Pin 2 (Brown) to C2 Pin 8 - [CAN Lo]
(the above two wires are a twisted pair, you wont mistake the brown CAN Lo wire with the CD changer negative wire below)

C Pin 4 (Blue/Black) to C2 Pin 10 - [D2B Wake-up]

C Pin 5 (Red/Black) to C1 Pin 6 - [CD Changer +]
C Pin 6 (Brown) to C1 Pin 5 - [CD Changer -]
(Some cars are wired the other way so if this doesnt work for you try Pin 5 to Pin 5 and Pin 6 to Pin 6 instead)

There are wires already on the COMAND harness in C2 Pin 10 and C1 pin 5 and 6, take these out and use the ones from the old C connector, you will need to crimp connectors onto these wires

Ok in the back of your COMAND head unit plug in all the connectors...

Plug in the A connector
Plug in the B connector
Plug in the C1 connector
Plug in the C2 connector
Plug in the D2B orange fiber optic connector
Plug in the D radio antenna
Plug in the E connector - GPS receiver, I bought one made by Trimble with the gray GT5 connector (HRS GT5-1S is another description of the connector, just not the blue one).
Plug in the F IF output connector
Make sure a red 10amp fuse is in the fuse socket.

Check the unit powers up and that you can use all the features CD (Changer should work), Radio, Phone (if available), AUX (press SYS then select AUX, plug in a CD/walkman/mp3 player or a laptop), Navigation (will not work properly but you should be able to check if you're receiving any satellites by pressing the SAT button then the MAP button on the front of the COMAND unit)

Ok if there a problem this is the time to troubleshoot, I would first check the connectors and pins are all seated properly and in the correct places. Then STF for specific issues.

Once all problems are resovled its time to install the speed signal. Usually if you had bought a W203 COMAND unit you wouldn't need to add a speed signal connection because it receives the speed signal through CANBUS. But for G-Class COMANDS in W203's you will need to connect a wire from Connector 24 Pin 3 in the front SAM to the C2 Connector Pin 6.

Speed Signal Connection

Here is a description of how to hook up the speed wire from another forum member.... https://mbworld.org/forums/showpost....6&postcount=10 ... I used an unused blue D2B wire from the COMAND harness but you can buy some wire if you don't want to do that. Crimped the A013 545 76 26 pin on one end and plugged that into the housing A038 545 48 28 then plugged that into position 24, after threading everything through to the center console (I took off the panel under the steering wheel to help threading the wire.) I crimped on a A008 545 55 26 C2 connector pin and put that into position 10 of the C2 connector, reconnected everything (you don't need to replace all the panels just yet just make sure you reconnect all electrics before turning the car on) switched the COMAND head unit back on and checked the MAP screen as described before, now if you drive about you will see the arrow moving, one way to check is to do a circle with you car , you should see the arrow do the same on screen, this means your speed signal is working.

GPS receiver

Localizing the GPS receiver, remove the instrument cluster using tool W140589023300 or as I did, I got a metal coat hanger and cut the horizontal part in the middle and then clipped the corners so the make a small L at the end the L bit should only be 3mm long, see this image for a visual of what it should resemble https://mbworld.org/forums/showpost....6&postcount=15 . When you have your Instrument Cluster Removal tool bought or made, adjust the position of the steering wheel so it is at its lowest position and furthest away from the cluster (down and towards you) this will help when you are removing the cluster. Make sure your key is not in when you disconnect the cluster! So slide one tool into each of the cluster slits on the left and right side of the cluster, the L should be pointing away from the cluster slid each one in individually when you get to the end as you push you will feel the tool twist downward and 'click'/'snap' into place, when both are in position pull the cluster out slowly until its halfway out then using your hands maneuver it out past the steering wheel, you will have to disconnect the cable, it has a locking mechanism similar to the C2 connector. With the cluster out thread the GPS receiver through the hole between the center console recess and the hole behind the right bottom of the instrument cluster recess. Place the GPS receiver in the gap between the dash and the plastic instrument cluster recess housing (use a glove as I had fiber glass particles stick in my skin). Then you can reconnect the cluster and slide it back in its place, just make sure you do this carefully. Check the satellite reception using the SYS and MAP function as before to check you are receiving satellites, otherwise reposition the receiver (you don't need the key to turn on COMAND, if you do then make sure everything is plugged in where it should be to avoid faults arising).

Gyroscope Angle

Now using a protractor or guesstimate remove the gray angle set pin on the right side of the COMAND head unit and adjust the gyroscope angle to 25 degrees, the gray one takes it to 15 degrees so you need to turn it an extra 10, when you turn the gyroscope it should pretty much hold itself in place (mine did) but you may want to fasten it with some tape so it doesn't move. (Unless of course you can get your hands on a yellow 25 degree angle set pin, they're not for sale from Mercedes as a separate part, then just simply replace the gray one with the yellow one.)

Thats it, now reassemble everything back up remember to screw in the COMAND unit using the 4 mounting screws you ordered (A0019846429).

Instrument Cluster Display Programming

You will need to ask a dealership to enable navigation on your cluster display so you can see directions easier whilst driving. (I've not had this done yet but I've read some dealerships do it for free and others charge.) Heres a link (http://www.mercupgrades.com/COMAND+R...article-1.html) to a site with the directions the dealer will need to enable COMAND (best to give it to them just in case they say its impossible or don't know how to.) I've quoted the relevant instructions below;

a) Start Star diagnosis, and select the correct vehicle
b) In the Main Groups screen, select 'Control Units'
c) In the Control Unit Groups screen, select 'Information and Communication'
d) In the 'Information and Communication' screen, select 'D2B – COMAND' or 'Audio'
e) In the 'Cockpit management and data system' screen, first select 'Retrofitting of D2B Components'
- select YES when it asks whether to actually write the new configuration to the vehicle.
f) Return to the screen in (e), and select 'Control Unit Adaptations', select 'Read coding and change if necessary', select 'Configuration of components (not D2B)'.
g) In the 'Configuration of components (not D2B)' enable the following: -
enable...Telephone with enlarged functionality
enable...TV Tuner
enable...Instrument cluster with automatically centering text
enable...Analog BOSE
enable...SMS transmissions permitted
And save the changes to the COMAND system - select YES when it asks whether to actually write the new configuration to the vehicle.
h) Return to the (e) screen, and select 'Radio parameters', set the 'Tuner ident' to 'North America - select YES when it asks whether to actually write the new configuration to the vehicle.
i) Return to the (e) screen and select 'Variant Coding', set the 'Model/Series' correctly, and the FADER ON - select YES when it asks whether to actually write the new configuration to the vehicle.
j) Return to the menu in (c) above, and select 'ICM – Instrument cluster', select 'Control Unit adaptations', then select 'Variant Coding', then select 'Optional Equipment'
k) In the 'Optional Equipment' screen set 'Navigation' to 'PRESENT' - select YES when it asks whether to actually write the new configuration to the vehicle.

[Hope this is all accurate, but i'm sure i'll be corrected if not!]

If you have the opportunity and are confident enough this should be a worthwhile mod, be prepared not to have it working straight away but just keep trying and checking everything!

Good Luck and a Thanks from me to all the contributors on this site for making it possible for me to do this install!

Last edited by RumbleUK; 09-11-2007 at 05:46 AM.
Old 09-11-2007, 03:36 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Midnight Blue 2004.5 C230 Kompressor Sport Sedan. 2002 w210 E320, 2009 w211 E350 Sport
Excellent write-up. You've now been added to the DIY sticky. BTW...It would help if you had pics to show of your work.
Old 09-11-2007, 04:10 PM

'13 250 Coupe
Nice work!
Old 09-11-2007, 07:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

IS300
nice explanation! Any pics of the unit?
Old 09-11-2007, 07:49 PM

C300. FJ Cruiser, 370Z
Impressive! That will shut them up!

Good Job! Can't wait for the PICS.

rdscklasse
Old 09-12-2007, 02:34 AM

'02 C240
thanks everyone, as for pics i've tried to link to previous posts/sites etc with pics, but I will come up with some in sequence soon just for completeness.

Originally Posted by Shake
nice explanation! Any pics of the unit?
The unit looks like a regular euro comand unit with TV button. I think the only difference is that the gyroscope is set at a different angle, which is easily adjustable.

Also additionally I get pretty good sound out of my AUX input, i've heard that some people have trouble with theirs ie low volume or interference, must be the way they're wired up or something because I didn't notice any loss in sound quality.
Old 05-08-2008, 05:46 AM
sin

c200 kompressor
i just wanted to confirm, im planning on getting a A203xxxxxxxxx navigation unit from ebay <shock horror!!>

i just wish to clarify, when they say the nav unit gets its speed from the CAN bus, do you mean the can signals from the "C" connector? C2 pin 8&9, because on the pin outs from the WIS pdf install, it says it was for steering wheels butons etc. and theres a WHOLE lot more of CAN pins, eg RobertBoschCAN pins 1, 16,17,and 18

with the A203 540 09 09 98 C1 and C2 COMAND harness, do i only need the C1 and C2 connectors? i cant quiet picture it from the description are all the other pins on the C1 and C2 connectors empty?

and can i get any nav unit as long as it has A203 xxxxxxxxx? what are all the numbers on the end for?

and last of all, ive heard that euro units cant read US maps, im planning on using the unit in australia, and im thinking about getting a EURO version. has anyone had experience in this?

thanks all