Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-17-2006, 12:51 PM
dsb
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'06 slk55
Lowering your vehicle

Okay, I should be getting my Brabus springs soon. I am looking into having them installed. I was somewhat suprised that the 4 MB service centers I called would not install anything but factory springs. I then started calling around. Half the service centers were unfamiliar with the vehicle. I can't remember how many times I repeated "slk55, not clk55." The other half gave ballpark figures of 2-3 hrs to change the front springs and 2-2.5 hours for the rears averaging about $90-100 per hour. Of course, then alignment would add $100-150.

Here's my question. I am not real intimidated with tinkering with my car. However, I have never installed springs before. The rears seem fairly manageable. I'm not sure about the fronts. Should I do them myself? Are these quotes realistic?

What do you think?
Old 02-17-2006, 01:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55
I didn't pay more than $400! You shouldn't either. Did you try higher end shops?

BTW, I'll get the springs to you asap!
Old 02-17-2006, 01:37 PM
dsb
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 slk55
Thanks dinko.

Actually, I haven't looked beyond Sacramento. Sacramento is not like Florida. I have to travel a bit further to find a high-end shop. I'll take your advice and look for one. However, if it is simple, I don't mind doing it myself.

PS. I'll PM you some info regarding the springs.
Old 02-17-2006, 02:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MBZ SLK
Originally Posted by dsb
Here's my question. I am not real intimidated with tinkering with my car. However, I have never installed springs before. The rears seem fairly manageable. I'm not sure about the fronts. Should I do them myself? Are these quotes realistic?

What do you think?
NO, those quotes are a MAJOR ripoff, I could have it done for $250 here and have it aligned for another $38 bucks at the same place that compressed my springs. The most important thing is to have the right TOOLS and another person to help out, preferably somebody who knows about suspension installation. My bro helped me out alot, he likes to work on cars and it's a big plus.

Look for fgwinn's post on the other forum for suspension installs, the pics helped alot, I printed out instructions beforehand and installed it myself with my bro's help.

In a nutshell based on memory.

1. jack up slk, put it on jack stands, assume you know this
2. take out wheel.
3 unbolt 19mm bolt from control arm
4. unbolt 21mm bolt in the middle of the strut, use a 15mm wrench on the other side so it doesn't turn.
5. use another jack to keep up the suspension
6. unbolt two 19mm bolts on the bottom rear
7. break tie wrap and undo all the brake hose and take out brake hose bracket
8. unbolt three 13mm bolts on top and you should be able to get the whole strut out.
9. I would stop here and take the whole strut to a mechanic and have them remove and installed the spring. I used a spring compressor to take one out and had the toughest time putting it back in, got too dangerous.

Rear, haven't done it yet, looks simple, search for Linh's post about spring installation on benzworld.org, it looks similiar to the CLK's rear. Great instructions from him with pics.

1. jack up slk
2. remove wheel
3. remove plastic cover to expose bolts.
4. loosen three bolts
5, use jack to support spring so it doesn't popout at you
6. remove the three loosen bolts
7 slowly lower the jack so the spring release it's compression rate
8 should be it, I HAVE NOT done this yet, this is my speculation, I could be missing a bolt or too.

I don't recommend doing this if you don't have the right tools and know a little about spring installation.
Old 02-17-2006, 05:36 PM
Almost a Member!

Slk350(weekend), Mazda 3s (boosted)
If anything, since your in sac, not too far away from the bay, go to topline in millbrae...
Old 02-17-2006, 06:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'10 Porsche Turbo PDK, 500e, GL450
sac to millbrae?

THats a hike!
Old 02-17-2006, 06:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

mymbonline
give it a try
i changed my e36 m3 springs, i love working on cars