Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Owner. Love car, hate beeper. Help?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-08-2005, 04:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Owner. Love car, hate beeper. Help?

Well, after multiple BMW's in recent years I walked away from my early spot on the M5 list and traded my '04 M3 for a new '05 E55 this week. I gotta be smiling when I walk up to my vehicle and the new 5 makes me grimace. This is my first new Mercedes with my only prior experience being a used C36. I am extremely impressed with the build quality and attention to detail and I forsee a wonderful relationship. However, the car has the keyless go feature (neat) and I can't stand the beeping reminder to take the key each time I open the driver's door. I haven't read the entire novel, err, manual yet, but searching the more obvious sections I haven't found any way to disable the wretched thing. Can any of you more experienced owners offer any assistance? By the way, I accessed this forum multiple times while I was in my decision making mode and found it to be quite helpful. I think an LSD and a pulley are in my future but first I gotta quiet that beeping (and break in the car).

Thanks,
Richard Fogg
Old 04-08-2005, 05:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Real Cars
Richard,

There is no fix currently, but one is in the works according to a post I read on here.

I have keyless go as well, but the beep doesn't bother me personally.

-m (who also traded his E46 M3 for an E55)
Old 04-08-2005, 05:47 PM

Marcus, thanks for the response. I thought I recognized your name from a BMW forum. I realize I am being a bit **** about the beeping - I am sensitive to the creeping nannyism that seems to pervade our society and the beeping is a constant reminder of it. Hey, at least the nav screen doesn't require a safety "sign-off" by the driver prior to using it like my wife's former X5 did. I guess if my biggest complaint is the noise I must really like the car!

Richard Fogg
Old 04-08-2005, 06:17 PM

2005 E55 AMG
Richard,

Hit the up arrow on the left side of the steering wheel hub as you get out and it will silence the annoying chime - at least until the next time you open the door.

I did this routine for a while, but now I'm like Marcus, I've tuned it out to the point that no longer bothers me.

Welcome to the forum.
Old 04-08-2005, 06:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Richard...

The only way to turn it off is finding someone who has the DAS service computer. Most US dealers won't turn it off due to liability issues...but if you can convince your service advisor, there is a way to permananty turn it off.
Old 04-08-2005, 07:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GL320CDI / C63 Edition 507 Coupe (EDP) / E63 S (on order) / G500 / Smart Brabus
Originally Posted by onesixeight
Richard...

The only way to turn it off is finding someone who has the DAS service computer. Most US dealers won't turn it off due to liability issues...but if you can convince your service advisor, there is a way to permananty turn it off.
I have a DAS service computer. Can you tell me how to do this? Because I can't find the settings. Thanks!

-s-
Old 04-08-2005, 11:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Scorchie...

I'm not sure how my guy at at my dealer did it, but I will ask him. I know you know a lot more than I do about the DAS computer.

He turned off my friend's E500 and my SL's keyless go chime. He is suppose to do another friend's CLS 55, and will ask him then. But I swear to god, the stupid chime is gone!
Old 04-09-2005, 09:56 AM

E55 Flint Grey/Merlot
If you are a mythic hero of old like Beowulf, you may have the powers of concentration necessary to tune it out. For the rest of us it is almost like chalk on a blackboard (do they still use chalk?).
After a while, you form a muscle memory to to hit one of the arrows on the steering wheel. Supposedly the other models with keyless go don't even give you the option to manually stop it. It probably made sense to them on paper when they designed it but it certainly is annoying.
Old 04-09-2005, 10:35 AM
Out Of Control!!

2005 E55
The arrow certainly stops mine from beeping and it is a recent production model. I can't imagine what its purpose is. Why remind a person to remove the key when the car will not lock from the outside with the key on the inside? Illogical Mr. Spock, isn't it? Or am I wrong and is it possible to lock the key in the car? I haven't tried it yet.
Old 04-09-2005, 01:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GL320CDI / C63 Edition 507 Coupe (EDP) / E63 S (on order) / G500 / Smart Brabus
Originally Posted by onesixeight
Scorchie...

I'm not sure how my guy at at my dealer did it, but I will ask him. I know you know a lot more than I do about the DAS computer.

He turned off my friend's E500 and my SL's keyless go chime. He is suppose to do another friend's CLS 55, and will ask him then. But I swear to god, the stupid chime is gone!
I look forward to the info! Thanks for checking for us... the beep does bother me, and I can't tune it out that easily since I don't drive Keyless Go cars all the time.

-s-
Old 04-10-2005, 05:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 335 vert, 2004 MDX
Hey onesixeight, I'd love to hear a fix for this. I asked on the generic w211 forum and the consensus was it was impossible to turn off.
Old 04-12-2005, 07:27 PM

Follow Up: I tried the "up arrow" trick and not only does it turn off the beeping when the door is opened, the car does not beep when I first open the door at a later time. Yea!!! If I shut and then open the door a 2nd time it beeps. Many thanks to all that posted......

Richard Fogg