Breaking Twin Turbo News....MUST READ

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-18-2005, 10:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
Breaking Twin Turbo News....MUST READ

Okay, this is about the best info we have gotten on this matter.

Spoke with a very very reliable source who gave me this information....I humbly ask that you do not post who you think it is, as he was very leary on giving me the info for fears of jeapordizing his relationship with AMG. Lets call him John Doe. Please please guys...I am begging you.

Okay, the N/A is IN for 2006, but here is the best part. AMG just finished testing a twin turbo motor to go in the future E. NOT sure if 8 or 12...would imagine an 8 but I wasn't askin....I was just stunned to be getting the info and the guy was really nervous about giving it up. Anyway, AMG Development throws it up on the dyno and it runs........700 friggin hp. Obviously too much for us mere mortals so they are ordered to begin work on detuning it and making it more streetable.....to about 600-625 hp. He says it would be a miracle to get it for the 2006 roll out, but maybe, just maybe a mid 2006 rollout...if not, most likely for the 2007 lineup. Worst case....08.

Are you thinking what I am thinking.....hopefully they turn down the boost a touch electronically and some other intake/exhaust restrictions to bring her down.......then we mod and brrrrring it right on back up to 700hp.

I just knew they would not let us down....well, maybe for a year or so...

Bottom line, we get past the N/A dark ages, and I can smell a Renaissance Period coming for us. Let's all hope the new sales director of Benz will really try to make a splash and push this through for 06....but don't count on it.

There ya go and I can say with confidence, this guy was talking with fear like he KNEW it was fact.

Old 03-18-2005, 10:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
04E55AMG, 05Dodge RAM 1500 Quad Cab, 02Montero Limited
Originally Posted by Jakpro1

Spoke with a very very reliable source who gave me this information....I humbly ask that you do not post who you think it is, as he was very leary on giving me the info for fears of jeapordizing his relationship with AMG. Lets call him John Doe. Please please guys...I am begging you.

Okay, the N/A is IN for 2006, but here is the best part. AMG just finished testing a twin turbo motor to go in the future E. NOT sure if 8 or 12...would imagine an 8 but I wasn't askin....I was just stunned to be getting the info and the guy was really nervous about giving it up. Anyway, AMG Development throws it up on the dyno and it runs........700 friggin hp. Obviously too much for us mere mortals so they are ordered to begin work on detuning it and making it more streetable.....to about 600-625 hp. He says it would be a miracle to get it for the 2006 roll out, but maybe, just maybe a mid 2006 rollout...if not, most likely for the 2007 lineup. Worst case....08.

Are you thinking what I am thinking.....hopefully they turn down the boost a touch electronically and some other intake/exhaust restrictions to bring her down.......then we mod and brrrrring it right on back up to 700hp.

Bottom line, we get past the N/A dark ages, and I can smell a Renaissance Period coming for us. Let's all hope the new sales director of Benz will really try to make a splash and push this through for 06....but don't count on it.

There ya go and I can say with confidence, this guy was talking with fear like he KNEW it was fact.

Intresting News I would assume if they produce this car, it would be priced well over the $125K range. The great think about the current E55 is the price for what you get.
Old 03-18-2005, 11:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AMG
Most likely new TT v12 for new s600? But it would be a miricle to see some Twin turbo V8 in the near future, that would rock! Screw NA
Old 03-18-2005, 11:19 PM

Put me on the list for one of those!
Old 03-19-2005, 04:29 AM

I love that news. But how will the transmission be able to handle anything more that the current 65 series?

amgB
Old 03-19-2005, 04:49 AM

2002 C32 AMG
Anyway, AMG Development throws it up on the dyno and it runs........700 friggin hp. Obviously too much for us mere mortals so they are ordered to begin work on detuning it and making it more streetable.....to about 600-625 hp. He says it would be a miracle to get it for the 2006 roll out, but maybe, just maybe a mid 2006 rollout...if not, most likely for the 2007 lineup. Worst case....08.

Ah! The answer to my prayers! Now I'll definitely delay my gratification. I'm prepared to drive a quiet, cheap, economical, small sedan for a few years while saving for a 700bhp E-class. :v 700hp in an luxury 4-door sedan, what is the world coming to?

Last edited by gobiz; 03-19-2005 at 04:55 AM.
Old 03-19-2005, 04:53 AM
Banned

Detuning is usually also a hardware change not just software. The top spec would have been on proper intake and exhaust.
Old 03-19-2005, 06:04 AM
CDP
MBWorld Fanatic!

W124's
wow. that's some interesting news. thank you for this.
Old 03-19-2005, 08:23 AM

yeah right, a twin turbo?... get real; that's stuff they wanna put in a special AMG like the 65's; but not in a regular AMG model.

and i cant believe an AMG-employee would just tell u this ''secret info'', knowing that everyone would just pass it on if he heard about it.

or he was just trying to pull a joke; or you are.
Without reliable sources, everyone can just say something which engine it will be; but whats the point in that?
Old 03-19-2005, 08:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

There are now "special" AMG's and "regular" AMG's? Following your line of logic, wasn't the SL55 just a "regular" AMG UNTIL they put the 65 engine in it? Wasn't the CL55 just a "regular" AMG until they put the 65 engine in it? If so, wouldn't putting the 65 engine in the E55 also make it into a "special" AMG?
Old 03-19-2005, 11:43 AM
Banned

seems logical, want to get similar power from a n/a motor to compete with the m5 and m3 a la c55. then "special" amgs get the tt treatment for an ungodly amount of money.
Old 03-20-2005, 08:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

interesting news, what goes underneath the bonnet means nothing unless the rest are beefed up too
Old 03-22-2005, 12:18 PM

2009 C63 Black on Black
Talking MB AMG wiil rerspond!

In my humble opinion I really believe we will see an E63 TT !! AMG has too much pride (and Money) to let the ugly M5 upstage them for very long. The upcoming 4 valve E63 engine would be a natural for the TT and it would completely upstage the much delayed M5 V10. I would expect this motor to conservatively reach 550 to 590 HP for claims to the Kings throne! Also, I believe AMG will upgrade the suspension to go along with this output!!
Old 03-22-2005, 03:41 PM
M&M

OK, so let's recap. Merc scrap the C32 in favour of the normally aspirated C55. The s/c 55's are also on their way out. Audi have also moved away to NA with the S4 & RS4 losing their turbos.

It's hard to say the reasons for AMG scrapping s/c's but a few european mags ran articles on it (Evo & Car UK I think). They interviewed some AMG people & got these reasons:

- High underbonnet temperatures which lead to
- Poor long term reliability (heat)
- Added cooling requirements
- Beefier, heavier drivetrain to handle torque
- Parasitic losses at high rpm
- Poor gas mileage
- Poor throttle response

Can't think of the resr. But the amazing part to me is one of the head AMG guys said the ease at which more power could be extracted is also a problem. I guess we are being naive in think they don't know what we know.

He said lots of guys would "chip" or "pulley" a car & place torque loads on the drivetrain which were beyond the design parameters of the car, thereby causing premature failure. Then they might return the car to stock & claim the new part under warranty. This causes a lot of money to be lost by OEM's.

I believe this was part of the reason Audi decided to change the S4/RS4 to NA. There is a huge market out there for chips for these turbo Audis that add 80lb/ft torque for very little money.

So I say think about the upcoming E63. If MErc decided to get rid if s/c's they must have had reasons as I don't see much wrong with these cars. I highly doubt they would replace an s/c with a turbo. But hey, what do I know?
Old 03-22-2005, 04:02 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
W221
Can't wait!~!
Old 03-22-2005, 05:03 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2005 E55
Originally Posted by M&M
OK, so let's recap. Merc scrap the C32 in favour of the normally aspirated C55. The s/c 55's are also on their way out. Audi have also moved away to NA with the S4 & RS4 losing their turbos.

It's hard to say the reasons for AMG scrapping s/c's but a few european mags ran articles on it (Evo & Car UK I think). They interviewed some AMG people & got these reasons:

- High underbonnet temperatures which lead to
- Poor long term reliability (heat)
- Added cooling requirements
- Beefier, heavier drivetrain to handle torque
- Parasitic losses at high rpm
- Poor gas mileage
- Poor throttle response

Can't think of the resr. But the amazing part to me is one of the head AMG guys said the ease at which more power could be extracted is also a problem. I guess we are being naive in think they don't know what we know.

He said lots of guys would "chip" or "pulley" a car & place torque loads on the drivetrain which were beyond the design parameters of the car, thereby causing premature failure. Then they might return the car to stock & claim the new part under warranty. This causes a lot of money to be lost by OEM's.

I believe this was part of the reason Audi decided to change the S4/RS4 to NA. There is a huge market out there for chips for these turbo Audis that add 80lb/ft torque for very little money.

So I say think about the upcoming E63. If MErc decided to get rid if s/c's they must have had reasons as I don't see much wrong with these cars. I highly doubt they would replace an s/c with a turbo. But hey, what do I know?
Makes good business sense to me. And after all, MB is a business
Old 03-22-2005, 11:26 PM
Banned

M&M youre a jacka$$, youre m cars suck, id be embarrassed to drive one of those boats, what a loser, cant afford a REAL car, are you working minimum wage, ill help you buy a real car if you want, pity you for your poverty (pardon me for me brief impersonation as an m5 board poster)

ok for real:

long term reliability? no grenading engines here except for one car i know of
added cooling requirements? only if you want MORE power.
beefier heavier drivetrain? to handle the extra 20lbs of a blower? the amg SPEEDSHIFT treanny does just fine.
parasitic losses? as in how every car experiences the same thing?
poor gas mileage? when you buy an 85k car do you care?
poor throttle response? as in the 0.008 sec in takes the blower to engage to smoke the nearest bmw anything?

m&m you have a track record here and we all know it. fair and balanced, you are not. see ya. in my rear view mirror that is.
Old 03-23-2005, 01:23 AM
M&M

Yeah Peter I know BMW suck & I'm an idiot. But that's not the topic of discussion.

A turbo/SC car makes more torque than NA. Therefore you need a beefier gearbox/drivetrain.

A turbo car needs more cooling, etc.

But If I offended you I'm sorry. Believe what you want.
Old 03-23-2005, 02:08 AM

If people think logically the reason for the NA change is to allow the 7 speed to be used (as the NA will have ~ 620Nm Vs 700Nm for the SC55 and it (6.3L peak torque) won't change much with tuning). Its a very simple reason and probably one of higher priority than most of M&M's list (except for the obvious which is very valid). IMO the 6.3L NA with 7speed will be a much better package than any of AMG previous cars despite having less ultimate potential. The NA will make more torque than the 55SC where it counts! (Thats the ground for the uneducated by virtue of more hp and 7 speeds). You only have to feel how energetic the SLK55 is with the 7speed and the better reponse it has against the CLS55 on the stopwatch. AMG are finally going down the right lane with their cars.
Old 03-23-2005, 03:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
'03 G500, '13 G63, '17 GLS63,
From the looks of things, its gonna end up being an NA V8. With .8 litres more and 4 valve cylinder heads it is likely the engine will make up the difference lost from the switch to NA. Personally, I like to tinker with my toys and it looks like the E55 is gonna be more fun.
Old 03-23-2005, 07:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2000 W210 E55->2003 R230 SL500->2004 W211 E55->2007 997TT+2007 E63->2010 GLK350->2012 E550 4matic
Lightbulb M&M has long been on my ignore list

Originally Posted by Peter B
m&m you have a track record here and we all know it. fair and balanced, you are not. see ya. in my rear view mirror that is.
Peter, try out the ignore list feature, it's wonderful completely obliterating these losers from your life once AND for all.

Like all other E55 owners, we are lucky to have a nice car, beautiful lovely girlfriends or/and wives; life is just too short to waste time on unpopular drivers with an inferior complex.