E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Optimized E55 and G-tech runs (long)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-22-2002, 06:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AMG
Thumbs up Optimized E55 and G-tech runs (long)

First of all, I´m from Sweden and because of that my english isn´t perfect.

I´ve got an E55 station wagon –99. For about six mounths I decided to leave my car to a local and very good tuning company. I asked him what he could do to make the car go faster. He said that first of all he would build a new exhaust system from the headers and backwards and then use race catalysts. This will increase the flow through the system.

Second he would rebuild the air intake so the engine would get more cold air and then install an open K&N-filter. He would also use some aluminum plates to segregate the filter from the engine so it would not inject hot air from the engine.

Third he would optimize the fuel injectors. The spray angle is changed a little bit and it´s now an even finer spray of fuel than it was before. He would also measure up the difference of the amount of fuel that is injected into each cylinder. He said that AMG like every other car manufacturer allows up to 15 % difference between the cylinders. Now it´s maybe 1 % difference between the cylinders. This gives better torque on lower and middle rpm´s .

Finally he upgraded the cpu to match all the changes. The speed limiter is also removed. The ignition is optimized for 98 oct which we have here in Sweden.
I let him do all these changes and now the car goes much better than before. I haven´t done any dyno test but the guy who tuned the car says that this probably added about 50 hp and 55 foot-pounds of torque. I have no reason not to believe him.

Since so many things are optimized I can also notice that the fuel consumption has decreased 10 %. And that is a good proof that he has done a great job with the car!
A couple of days ago I bought a G-tech. I know that some of you doesn´t believe in these but I´ve compared it with my speedometer that is accurate (it´s tested) in speeds around 60 mph, and when the G-tech says 60 my speedometer says 60.

First of all you must remember that the wagon is about 230 pounds heavier than the regular saloon. First I had some bad runs whit lots of wheelspin. The times where then between 5,40 and 5,60. But on my fourth run I had a perfect(!) launch. Just a very little spin at the first gear. The time was 4,81. I have seen times like that before but that has been saloons. Since the 0 – 60 time was so good I decided to go all the way to the ¼ mile. The time was 13,19 seconds and the top speed was 111,8 mph. I was very pleased with that time and speed.

As you can see the acceleration has improved a little bit in lower speeds but I can really feel an improvement in higher speeds. It goes really fast from 120 to 150. It slows a bit after 155 but it goes all the way to the top speed that now is about 180 mph. And that is really fast for a station wagon!
Old 02-22-2002, 07:06 PM

'01 CLK 55
Great times!! it's nice to have access to "good" gas....You guys get to run and optimize on "XO". Here in good ol' California, USA get to run on Bad Grappa.....
Old 02-23-2002, 10:18 AM

AMG
no pics

I have no pics but I´ll fix it. I´ll post them as soon as I have some pics.
Marky
Old 02-25-2002, 11:01 AM

AMG
Pics and more info

Here´s some pics on my car. I´ll post pics on the mods later this week.

My E55 is fully loaded. It doesn´t have command but I don´t think that option was available at 1999. Instead my car has got APS-navigation (Auto Pilot System). A voice and symbols on the screen gives you directions. This E55 has got some extra options that I don´t think many E55 owners have got. I´m paralyced from the waist and down after an accident. Because of that I control the accelerator and the brakes with a stick that is placed in the floor. To accelerate I just put the stick backwards and to brake I put the stick forwards (almost like an airplane!). I will post pics on that mod too. Of course you can still drive the car as usual with the foot pedals.

As I can´t use my legs I have no use for the parking brake pedal. Now the parking brake is manovered with an electrical engine that is hidden behind the dashboard. I just use a switch to lock up and unlock the parking brake. The switch is placed to the left/down side on the dashboard.

The price on the mods where much cheaper compared to well known tuners. There is no well known tuning company where I live. There fore I would have to send away the car to have the job done. And I was afraid that if there ever should be any problems with the mods it was better to have the job done by a local guy that probably could fix future problems the same day I come to him with the car.

The emissions regulations are the same all over the west Europe. Since the combustion now is optimized the emissions actually are better (lower) than before. I had the car tested so I know for sure. The exhaust system with the race catalysts works fine and the sound is much more raw than it was before. When you step on the accelerator it sounds totally wild, but on the highways at constant speed you only hear the sound from the wind and the tires and that is how I want it to be.
Old 02-25-2002, 11:20 AM

AMG
Sorry! I forgot the pics.

Here they come:

https://mbworld.org/upload/2002/AMG1.jpg

https://mbworld.org/upload/2002/AMG2.jpg

Did not know how to view the pics but I hope this will work.

Marky
Old 02-26-2002, 01:11 PM

96´E280 6.cyl
Man, your wagon is freakin fast...
Could you tell me how´s your exhaust in this moment?
Thanks
Old 02-26-2002, 04:51 PM

AMG
More pics

Here comes the pics on the mods. Right now I have no place where I can get under the car to take some pics on the exhaust system so the only thing you can see of the system is from behind. But soon I will take it to a garage and lift the car up and take some pics.

It´s a lot of rain and snow in Sweden right now so the roads are very messy. I wash my car and two minutes later it looks like **** as you can see on the pics. But soon the summer is here so I can change my tires to 18 inch AMG. Right now I´m driving with 235-45-17 M+S (Mud and Snow) tires.

https://mbworld.org/upload/2002/back.jpg

https://mbworld.org/upload/2002/enginepic.jpg

https://mbworld.org/upload/2002/exhaust.jpg

https://mbworld.org/upload/2002/filter.jpg

https://mbworld.org/upload/2002/stick.jpg
Old 02-26-2002, 07:26 PM
Out Of Control!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice pics Marky!

What's with the stick thing??? Are you saying the your car has a manual tranny?
Old 02-26-2002, 07:33 PM

ex-C32
Looks sharp! The only AMG wagons we get to see in the US are at F1 events or read about in European magazines.

What is the pic with a stick in it? Something to hold the throttle down while your accelerating? I have seen a C5 Corvette out fitted with controls to pilot the car for drivers missing limbs. It was a very nice set up.

Norm
Old 02-26-2002, 07:44 PM

His 3rd prior post states:

"This E55 has got some extra options that I don´t think many E55 owners have got. I´m paralyced from the waist and down after an accident. Because of that I control the accelerator and the brakes with a stick that is placed in the floor. To accelerate I just put the stick backwards and to brake I put the stick forwards (almost like an airplane!). I will post pics on that mod too. Of course you can still drive the car as usual with the foot pedals. "
Old 02-27-2002, 06:16 PM

M3 Cab
incredibly stealthy. that's what i love about uber wagons.
Old 02-04-2003, 04:59 PM

Here is my G-tech runs wioth a Euro M3 3,2.

Första: 13,24 s 174 km/h

Andra: 13,21 s 172,1 km/h

Tredje (andra hållet): 13,21 s 177,7 km/h

Fjärde (också andra hållet): 13,34 s 169,99 km/h

Last edited by Gustav; 02-04-2003 at 06:03 PM.
Old 02-05-2003, 09:00 AM

AMG
Originally posted by Gustav
Here is my G-tech runs wioth a Euro M3 3,2.

Första: 13,24 s 174 km/h

Andra: 13,21 s 172,1 km/h

Tredje (andra hållet): 13,21 s 177,7 km/h

Fjärde (också andra hållet): 13,34 s 169,99 km/h
I'm still faster
Old 02-05-2003, 01:16 PM

I know it's annoying 0,02 s :o

I took it easy