C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Chirp Sound when initially accelerating or shifting gears?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-02-2002, 03:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W211 E63
Chirp Sound when initially accelerating or shifting gears?

I've started to notice my C32 have a chirping sound around 2000rpm under light acceleration?

How common is the problem? I read the FAQ on C32life about the problem but is there an official word on the cause or fix of the problem!

thanks
Old 10-02-2002, 03:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
C32 AMG
I have the same thing when giving some gas from a creep or standstill. I think it is a belt catching? The FAQ sights solutions such as tightening the pulley or replacing the supercharger. If you do the latter, I would get a dyno done before and after to make sure they don't mess up.
Old 10-02-2002, 04:09 PM

W211 E63
did you have your dealer look at the problem?
Old 10-02-2002, 05:02 PM
rrf

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
chirp

I don't have it, but you can be pretty sure it is the supercharger clutch engaging. The SC puts a huge load drain on the belt when it first kicks in.

Your belt is probably getting older and "glazed", there is a small slip and thus a chirp.

1) Try some belt anti-slip compound, $3.00 at any auto store.
2) Get a new belt, install it yourself.
3) Visit the dealer for more drastic work.
Old 10-02-2002, 06:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
Originally posted by box986
did you have your dealer look at the problem?
Not as of yet, but I may consider it, if it becomes a problem.
Old 10-02-2002, 07:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Normal, my car has this sound for 6 months now. I am starting to get used to it. Sometimes its there, sometimes its not. I saw a SLK32 the other day and heard that "chirp" too....so I guess any AMG 32s engine might/will have this problem.
Old 10-04-2002, 10:48 AM

2006 E320 CDI, 2007 ML 320 CDI, 2008 C63, 2008 G55
C32 Chirping sound

I get the same sound in my C32. However, it seems like it is coming from the back of the car rather than under the hood.
Old 10-14-2002, 02:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'72 Suburban
I had the same chirp in my SLK32, too. Some board members said it was normal. I took it in to the dealer and they told me they needed to replace the supercharger. I declined, saying that I could live with the problem.

While away on the a trip, the supercharger stopped engaging, leaving me with very little HP (it sucked ). Took it to the dealer and they replaced the supercharger (I'm assuming the problem was the pulley/clutch mechanism).

No more squeaking belt. I've only driven about 1000 miles since the replacement, so I don't know if the squeak will return.
Old 01-03-2003, 11:00 PM

2011 C63, 2004 S500, 2013 E350, 2013 Ody Elite
I got the Chrip Sound on my 2003 C32.

After 3500 miles, I heard this Chrip sound this afternoon. It only happen from standing still with light acceleration. Not sure should I bring it to dealer for them to look at it... Sounds like this sound will come back after even with replace of SC?!
Any one have this check at dealer lately?
Old 01-04-2003, 03:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
I was at my dealer yesterday and had one of the "higher" up techs take a look. From hearing it with the hood open, he thought it was an engine mount and wants the car for two days to look it over. I did not tell him that I think (know) that it is the SC. In any case, he told me to make an appointment and he will have a nice loaner ready.
Old 01-04-2003, 05:52 PM

Unhappy Thanks JustinTRW,

My friend has a '88 MR2 SC and he used to have this sound before. He told me after few thousand mile, the sound went away. Well, I don't think this "Chrip" sound will go away since there are so many people have this problem and someone even have there SC replaced.

I'm going to LA Auto show tonight to do some AMG bashing.

Please keep me post it regarding your dealer's finding.
Old 01-14-2003, 02:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
I made an appointment for Saturday. I wonder though, am I wasting my time? People tell me that it will come back, and it doesn't seem to be the motor mount as the tech described. Also worried about the dealer washing the car.
Old 01-16-2003, 10:50 PM

Oh well...

Maybe you can bring your car in Clean so they don't have to wash your car again.
I been notice the Chirp sound comes at 1sec after the initial normal accelarating and also about 1 sec. too when you reply gas after a decelaration. It sounds like the SC is engaging...hopefully there is a fix to this without any major run around by dealer.
Old 01-16-2003, 10:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
The SC engages precisely at 1500 rpm I believe, and that is when the problem occurs.
Old 01-16-2003, 10:55 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
C32 AMG
I think most (if not all) of the cars have this "feature".

My dealer told me it was "normal", and now I've gotten used to it, I guess. It used to bug me and now I rarely notice it.
Old 01-20-2003, 09:37 AM

chirp at gear change

After some major service at 8K miles, I had this problem right at slow start, also around 20mph and 40 mph at gear change . I was convinced that it had something to do with a performance issue, but the service manager and shop foreman took alot to convince. Not until replicating the sound in the service bay on the second trip to the ship for this problem did they believe that it was from the engine compartment and not from the chassis or cabin. They discovered that the clutch on the supercharger was not engaging properly. On manipulation the shop foreman was able to replicate the sound every time. I also felt that the car was not as fast. After replacing the supercharger everything felt better. Shifted smoother. accelerated like it should. Chirp is gone. Hopefully, never to come back again. Not at 10K miles yet and have had the supercharger, trans and modules, torque converter, radiator, fuel tank and fuel injetion replaced so far. Hopefully that's it and hopefully when I get the snow tires off this Spring, it will not have skipped a beat since the problems. I also had the jerking at 1500rpm. That seems to be gone now. Why I don't know. My worry is that no one seems to be familiar with this car (been to 2 dealerships). I just hope that with all the swapped out parts that they haven't screwed it up. Mercedes doesn't really assure you of that, especially with all the head scratching that goes on when you bring it in for a problem. Wish you all good driving and no mishaps!
Old 01-20-2003, 11:14 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm surprised your supercharger was changed out. Mercedes actually has a letter written stating not to switch out the supercharger for this. It is a noise that the clutch makes when engaging. It comes and goes at various intervals.
Old 01-21-2003, 09:03 AM

supercharger

Apparently the dealership had authorization from Mercedes to replace the parts. I do know that the supercharger was not engaging properly. That is according to the shop foreman who worked on the car. I don't know, if that and the sound are related. The shop foreman would not comment on the connection between the sound and performance. If you've got the sound, do you notice a slight loss of power when the sound occurs? Turn off everything that makes noise and get in tune with your car. Also, does your car go as fast and is it as quick as it used to be? Is its response the same? I knew what mine was like for 8K miles before the problems occurred. Just touching the gas pedal at practically any time used to cause my car to lurch forward. Response was immediate. I noticed that when the sound started, I needed to be more aggressive with the pedal to get it to respond. Now I just barely touch it and I feel the power again. Its ever so slight, but you can feel it. All in all after 3 trips to the dealer totaling 27 business days out of service and replacement of a myriad of parts, its back and apparently running fine. At least as far as I can tell. I'll be somewhat sure when I swap the snows out for the regular tires this Spring. I can't be entirely sure that the car is truly functioning to specs. Can't feel the difference between a 1/10 of a second and can't test the speed limiter outside of a track. The disappointing part is Mercedes can't objectively tell me, if its putting out like it should. Their assessment is somewhat, the same as mine, subjective. The problem with that is they're lucky, if they've seen one or two before. Despite the problems, the car always wins me back. A C32 can practically beat anything on the street, so if someone dusts me this Spring, I'll know that its still not right. Does anyone know what the RPM/gear/speed specs should be given stock tires? Is there a table for comparison?
Old 01-21-2003, 12:43 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
WOW am I late to the thread or what

I also has the chirp sound. I think it's the clutch from the s/c. don't really think it's a big deal. Until the car breaks down of course.
Old 01-24-2003, 05:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
Originally posted by Mach430
I'm surprised your supercharger was changed out. Mercedes actually has a letter written stating not to switch out the supercharger for this. It is a noise that the clutch makes when engaging. It comes and goes at various intervals.
I get my car back tomorrow morning. The final verdict is that the problem is normal. Another C32 was in the shop at the same time as mine and it also has the problem. They diagnosed the problem, but will not be replacing any parts. They did however fix one small cosmetic problem on my car free of charge.
Old 01-24-2003, 10:50 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
Originally posted by JustinTRW
I get my car back tomorrow morning. The final verdict is that the problem is normal. Another C32 was in the shop at the same time as mine and it also has the problem. They diagnosed the problem, but will not be replacing any parts. They did however fix one small cosmetic problem on my car free of charge.
what kind of small cosmetic problem?
Old 01-25-2003, 01:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
Originally posted by FrankW
what kind of small cosmetic problem?
My V1 flew off my windshield and damaged some of the aluminum in the interior upon impact.
Old 02-07-2005, 02:19 PM

Any Update on Super Charger Chirp Issue?

I recently acquired a 2002 C32 with 15k miles and it has the 2k RPM chirp. Faint, but noticable. Since the car has about 12 months left on the warranty - I was wondering if this issue was ever settled - is it a problem, or just a quirk?

I certainly don't want to go into a dealer demanding a new supercharger if it's not necessary, but then again I'd hate to discover the noise is actually a symptom of a serious issue AFTER the warranty expires.

Any updated info is appreciated!

John
Old 07-02-2008, 02:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

a car that can't do the throttle reset.
Hi guys. I have this issue and a solution is tough to find since the sound is so intermittent. I get it after the car has been driven for a good 40 minutes.

Anyone have any updates? FrankW, I know you are very well versed with the C32. Any new news??
Old 07-02-2008, 03:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

a car that can't do the throttle reset.
Also,my chirp doesn't happen at certain rpms... but strangely when I shift into drive, or when I shut the car down.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Chirp Sound when initially accelerating or shifting gears?