Sponsored by:

Supercharger Chirp Fix!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-30-2004, 11:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 E55 AMG
Supercharger Chirp Fix!

Hi everyone.....I am a new member to this board and this is my very first post. I picked up my new 04 E55 a couple of months ago and all I have to say is WOW! The car is awesome....It is just as fast as one of my previous cars (442 rwhp MTI Z06 Vette).

That being said the supercharger chirp was bugging the heck out of me. But that is in the past.....I was made aware of a great fix and it works!

Step #1 - Pop off supercharger shroud

Step #2 - Using a feeler gauge drip in Stop Squeal (graphite suspended in alcohol). This product is available at most auto parts stores and is normally used for brake squeal.

Step #3 - Pop supercharger shroud back on and drive!

The chirp is gone!!!!!!

I now enjoy my car 100%
Old 04-30-2004, 06:30 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2016 GLC300 sport
Re: Supercharger Chirp Fix!

Originally posted by TexE55AMG
Hi everyone.....I am a new member to this board and this is my very first post. I picked up my new 04 E55 a couple of months ago and all I have to say is WOW! The car is awesome....It is just as fast as one of my previous cars (442 rwhp MTI Z06 Vette).

That being said the supercharger chirp was bugging the heck out of me. But that is in the past.....I was made aware of a great fix and it works!

Step #1 - Pop off supercharger shroud

Step #2 - Using a feeler gauge drip in Stop Squeal (graphite suspended in alcohol). This product is available at most auto parts stores and is normally used for brake squeal.

Step #3 - Pop supercharger shroud back on and drive!

The chirp is gone!!!!!!

I now enjoy my car 100%
where are you dripping the stop squeal? in the upper pulley???
Old 04-30-2004, 07:05 PM

2004 E55 AMG
Slide the feeler gauge in the gap that seperates the blower from the pulley. You can find this gap by hand spinning the supercharger. You will note that the front section does not spin when the electromagnetic clutch is not engaged (that is the section connected to the pulley and belt). It sounds confusing but is really easy to see.

After you slide the feeler gauge in the gap, drip the stop squeal liquid (a few drops will do) and hand spin the supercharger 1/4 turn. Repeat process 4 times as to get a decent application of stop squeal between the clutch plates.

It helps to do this when the car is warm so the liquid flash dries quickly.

The whole process will take you approx. 5 mins.

Good luck!
Old 05-01-2004, 01:35 AM

S500 2002
I actually just stopped by MB today because of this chirp. I have 12K hard miles on my 2004 and this chirp started around 4K. MB stopped it for about 100 miles until I hit it again.

Do you think MB will use / authorize this solution? How long does it last?

Thanks! Good timing!
Old 05-01-2004, 09:59 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2013 E 350, 2012 GLK 350, 2012 C300 4matic
Any downside ??
Slippage ?
Old 05-01-2004, 10:17 AM

2004 E55 AMG
There is no downside to this fix (no slippage etc.). The fix lasts approx. 2,500 - 5,000 miles before reapplication is needed. One tech I talked to said that the mileage interval can be extended if you take off the front clutch plate to ensure a full and even application of the stop squeal.

One other tech had mentioned a long term fix was going to be tested. They are going to experiment with having the clutch plates impregnated with teflon.

Please note the electromagnetic clutch on the supercharger has a very high clamp force. The graphite does NOT cause slippage of the supercharger. It simply acts as a buffer that prevents raw metal to metal squeal upon engagement.

I know that Mercedes does not have a problem with this fix.

It will not void your warranty.
Old 06-11-2004, 06:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
2020 S560,14 ml350, 03 sl55, silver, pano, slr cams, evo headers, lsd, 2019 s63 cab.
can you post the brand and name on the label of the stop squeal. there are different types of brake stop squeal on the market. thanks
Old 06-11-2004, 11:18 AM

E55
TexE55AMG.....welcome to an ole Vette owner also. Did you post on the corvetteforum? Norris did my head/cam on the C5. 385rwhp. I sold the car to Mike Norris. Did you get any times on you Z06? . I agree...this E55 is just as fast and a lot more versital. I think this car would surprise some of the vette guys.

Concerning the chirp....I keep seeing post about that but have not heard it. I have 4500 miles now. If that raises its ugly head I will do your fix.
Old 06-11-2004, 12:28 PM
I1 ULOOZ

Congrats on the 55
Old 06-11-2004, 03:24 PM

MB E55 2004
Congrats on the new car!!!
My chirp started when I got my upgraded pulley install.

Regards,
E55 POWER
Old 06-12-2004, 02:07 PM

2004 E55 AMG
I'll check the brand of the stop squeal when I get home....Yes I work Saturdays It comes in a small white bottle with a black stopsign logo. It is graphite suspended in alcohol.

My vette was tuned at MTI in Houston Texas Duke.
442 rwhp.....Heads, cam, longtube headers, C.A. Intake, PRT exhaust, catdelete xpipe, underdrive pulley, etc.
1/4 mile with street tires 12.2 @ 119.

Thanks for the hello's guys......

P.S.

Saw an RS6 on the road yesterday...Great guy!
He didn't dare race me

Last edited by TexE55AMG; 06-12-2004 at 02:30 PM.
Old 06-15-2004, 01:46 PM

2004 E55
Originally posted by TexE55AMG

My vette was tuned at MTI in Houston Texas Duke.
442 rwhp.....Heads, cam, longtube headers, C.A. Intake, PRT exhaust, catdelete xpipe, underdrive pulley, etc.
1/4 mile with street tires 12.2 @ 119.

My C5 had a T1 cam installed by MTI and 5.3L truck heads installed by Speeddemon.

Only 410 RWHP, but it ran 11.98 @ 120.35 MPH on street tires (1.95 60FT) the day after I had the heads installed.
Old 06-19-2004, 02:16 PM

2004 E55 AMG
Nice times ToothDr.

I have the brand info on the stopsqueal.

It is BG

Hope this helps.
Old 06-19-2004, 02:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 6 Posts
Porcelain Bus
I brought this post to MB when my car was in for B service this week. They refused to attempt it since it is not an authorized MB fix. The chirp goes on.
Old 06-19-2004, 04:33 PM

2004 E55 AMG
I would find another dealership or I would do the fix myself Dr. Chill.

I would not accept a dealership telling me to "live" with the chirp.

I enjoy driving my car now and I don't have to explain to my passengers why my car makes noise.
Old 06-11-2012, 06:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 169 Likes on 120 Posts
W212 - E63 AMG
Does anybody know if it would be unwise to use copper grease instead of stop squeal?
Old 06-11-2012, 06:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 116 Likes on 74 Posts
2016 Cls63s AMG
i think the chirp sounds sexy
The following users liked this post:
Savage_Medic (01-02-2021)
Old 06-11-2012, 06:35 PM

E552004
I love that sound will never fix it
Old 06-11-2012, 09:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
E55 amg
I don't know what it sounds like. There is a belt squeal I hear ever now and then. Maybe that's it ?
Old 06-12-2012, 03:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
03 E55 AMG, 06 Harley Road King Custom 06 Ram 2500 Cummins, 97 Firebird Race Car, 88 Cutlass Supreme
I def have it, it does kinda sound like a belt squeal.
Old 06-12-2012, 04:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
V12TT
WOW way to bump an 8 year old thread!!
Old 09-21-2012, 03:11 PM

Sl 55 AMG
Hey guys I recently recived an Sl55 as a graduation gift. I love this car, but chirp makes me crazy. I want to try this fix but am not car let alone Supercharger savvy. If anyone could maybe show in pictures what the fix entails, or even a short video I would be most grateful. Btw new the forum, and this is my first post. Thanks again.
Old 03-01-2013, 01:41 AM

2006 CLS55 (wife), 2003 ML500 (kids), 2003 Hummer H2, 1967 GTO convertible, 1969 Chevy ElCamino.
Stop the Supercharger Clutch Squeal!!!

Hi Folks,

I recently purchased a 2006 CLS 55 for my wife and we LOVE it. In all of the37 years that I have been driving, and the over 35 vehicles I have owned, andthe countless other cars, trucks, bikes, and whatnot I have driven, this is byfar the finest automobile I have ever motored down the road in. My wife lovesthe car so much, I do not get to drive it much (I get to follow her in my H2 for20 minutes 4 days a week on the way to work – her job is 2 blocks from mine).It is a good thing that she limits my use of it because triple digits are a bittoo likely when I’m at the wheel. Imagine my disillusionment when it developedthis well-known supercharger “chirp”.

My local dealership acknowledged that they knew of this issue, but reallycould not recommend any reasonable way to correct it. Well, after searchingaround the net for answers, including on this site, I decided to try to somehowde-glaze the clutch surface. I sure as heck did not want to pay a couple grandfor parts (approximately 2,000 for the two main pieces at parts.com).

Some of the procedures for mitigating this problem included introducing lubricant(Squeal Stop), or valve grinding compound - neither of which seemed very suitable.One post described that the owner’s dealer had removed the clutch componentsand “roughened” the mating surfaces of the clutch pulley and flange. Havingdealt with squeaking brakes on other vehicles, caused by “mechanics” who failedto have drums or discs properly machined and surfaced (i.e. non-directional scoring),I am familiar with such squeaking. Oftentimes, the glaze that develops on the fiberfriction material can be scuffed off with some light sanding of the friction areas.

So I decided to slip some good quality 400 grit emery paper, folded back toback, between the supercharger clutch/pulley and the “pressure-plate” and sandgently for about ten minutes. I did so while moving the free-moving pressure-plategradually as I sanded from the top accessible portion of the clutch assembly.Then, I released the belt tensioner and moved the clutch/pulley about a quarterturn at a time to sand the areas that were not easily accessible from the top.After I did so, I took her for a spin and voila, it worked – no more irritatingchirp.

Now, I am not fooling myself into believing that the squealing worm won’treturn, so I will just perform this procedure again as a matter of course when Ichange my oil, or as needed.

I hope this helps someone out there who is fretting about the expense thatthe dealerships are bound to proffer, or having to live with this annoyingnoise.

Good luck and happy motoring!!!
Attached Thumbnails Supercharger Chirp Fix!-sandpaper.jpg   Supercharger Chirp Fix!-clutch.jpg   Supercharger Chirp Fix!-clutch-1.jpg  
Old 03-20-2015, 03:28 AM

CL55 AMG
Originally Posted by beezer
Hi Folks,

I recently purchased a 2006 CLS 55 for my wife and we LOVE it. In all of the37 years that I have been driving, and the over 35 vehicles I have owned, andthe countless other cars, trucks, bikes, and whatnot I have driven, this is byfar the finest automobile I have ever motored down the road in. My wife lovesthe car so much, I do not get to drive it much (I get to follow her in my H2 for20 minutes 4 days a week on the way to work – her job is 2 blocks from mine).It is a good thing that she limits my use of it because triple digits are a bittoo likely when I’m at the wheel. Imagine my disillusionment when it developedthis well-known supercharger “chirp”.

My local dealership acknowledged that they knew of this issue, but reallycould not recommend any reasonable way to correct it. Well, after searchingaround the net for answers, including on this site, I decided to try to somehowde-glaze the clutch surface. I sure as heck did not want to pay a couple grandfor parts (approximately 2,000 for the two main pieces at parts.com).

Some of the procedures for mitigating this problem included introducing lubricant(Squeal Stop), or valve grinding compound - neither of which seemed very suitable.One post described that the owner’s dealer had removed the clutch componentsand “roughened” the mating surfaces of the clutch pulley and flange. Havingdealt with squeaking brakes on other vehicles, caused by “mechanics” who failedto have drums or discs properly machined and surfaced (i.e. non-directional scoring),I am familiar with such squeaking. Oftentimes, the glaze that develops on the fiberfriction material can be scuffed off with some light sanding of the friction areas.

So I decided to slip some good quality 400 grit emery paper, folded back toback, between the supercharger clutch/pulley and the “pressure-plate” and sandgently for about ten minutes. I did so while moving the free-moving pressure-plategradually as I sanded from the top accessible portion of the clutch assembly.Then, I released the belt tensioner and moved the clutch/pulley about a quarterturn at a time to sand the areas that were not easily accessible from the top.After I did so, I took her for a spin and voila, it worked – no more irritatingchirp.

Now, I am not fooling myself into believing that the squealing worm won’treturn, so I will just perform this procedure again as a matter of course when Ichange my oil, or as needed.

I hope this helps someone out there who is fretting about the expense thatthe dealerships are bound to proffer, or having to live with this annoyingnoise.

Good luck and happy motoring!!!
I am still trying to figure out at exactly which area you sanded down?
Old 07-31-2015, 11:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2004 S 55 AMG
I can't find this Stop Squeal product I benn to 3 parts tore no one has it ? Any ideas where can i get it from ?
Thank you

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Supercharger Chirp Fix!