E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

How to replace Bose head unit?? (99 E320)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-09-2004, 08:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 CLK 500 Cabrio
How to replace Bose head unit?? (99 E320)

I've been to 4 installers in the area and not one is familiar with the fact that the Becker head unit is separate from the Bose system and can be replaced.
Does anyone know the details of what I need to tell these morons to get them to install my aftermarket?

I need to know a few important things:
How does the stock Becker attach to the Bose amp? Is it just RCA's or will I be cutting wires? If it is just RCA's, do I still need a line level converter if I buy a new head unit with RCA line outs?

Does the install require a lot of over the top dash removal-type labor or is it a pretty simple slide-in install?

If anyone can help with this it would be hugely appreciated. Thanks in advance!!
Old 03-10-2004, 11:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E300
Re: How to replace Bose head unit?? (99 E320)

Originally posted by dstorfer
I've been to 4 installers in the area and not one is familiar with the fact that the Becker head unit is separate from the Bose system and can be replaced.
Does anyone know the details of what I need to tell these morons to get them to install my aftermarket?

I need to know a few important things:
How does the stock Becker attach to the Bose amp? Is it just RCA's or will I be cutting wires? If it is just RCA's, do I still need a line level converter if I buy a new head unit with RCA line outs?

Does the install require a lot of over the top dash removal-type labor or is it a pretty simple slide-in install?

If anyone can help with this it would be hugely appreciated. Thanks in advance!!
For my '97 with the Bose I purchased a wiring harness from someone on the Becker Forum. It was actually a company that sold harnesses, etc. but not Metra. Anyway I got the harness and was very careful to wire it up to the harness for the new radio, colors won't match at all which makes it difficult and necessary to double check.

The new radio slides in or if you wanna have some fun, you can remove the pocket in the little cubby underneather the radio and install the new radio there, WHILE leaving the OEM unit in place, giving a "stock" look.

It is actually very easy to replace the radio.

Most important thing is that you need a harness to plug into the factory plug, such that nothing will be cut and everything can be restored if the radio is removed for sale or other reasons.

Tha harness I bought looked exactly like a VW harness. You could buy a VW harness, and plug the harness into the factory plug to make sure everything lines up. There might be a missing wire or two on the VW harness, but that's better than nothing :-)

Also the volume on the new radio will be a lot more sensitive. You won't have to turn it up high at all to get volume...
Old 03-10-2004, 12:00 PM

2006 CLK 500 Cabrio
connection to Bose Amp

Is the connection to the amp through wires or RCA jacks? Anyone know this for sure?
Old 03-10-2004, 03:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

01' CLK55
Re: connection to Bose Amp

Is the connection to the amp through wires or RCA jacks? Anyone know this for sure?
it is DEFINITELY not RCA jacks.
Old 03-10-2004, 03:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E300
Re: connection to Bose Amp

Can only be wires. OEM do not use RCA cables and the optical cable is only for the changer.
Old 03-15-2004, 01:55 PM

E430
Dstorfer,

I am in the process of gathering all the bits to do a total redo of the audio system.

My E430 currently also has the Blose system and will be totally rewired with a complete new system. This includes headunit, amps, EQ, speakers, subs and changer.

As soon as it's done, I'll post the blow by blow details.

As michakaveli said, a wiring harness and antenna adapter are a must. I bought the Metra/VW harness (70-1784) and the european VW/Audi/BMW antenna adapter at Circuit City.

For the basic wires, (+12V/ 12V acc, ground and illumination), the colors all matched up from harness to HU. Don't worry about the colors of the harness you plug into because the pins in the connector are in the right place.

So far, my component list includes:

Sony CDX-C90 head unit
Sony XDP-210 EQ
Sony CDX-838 Changer (the ugly red one)
Focal 165V3 polyglass front
Soundstream 8 in. subs (rear deck)
US Acoustics 4 ch amp
US Acoustics mono sub amp
Kicker rear fill speakers

Ebay was a great source for most of the gear.

-travis
Old 03-15-2004, 03:00 PM

2006 CLK 500 Cabrio
Thanks everyone for all your help.

The install went okay. I now have a nice Alpine CDA-9811 that plays MP3/WMA. It is almost like having a 10-disc changer right in the dash. I play 192k compressed WMAs and they sound great and I can fit about 120 songs on a CD-ROM.

This unit has a 2 band parametric EQ and I have been able to adjust it so it sounds pretty good. I just didn't want to spend over $1000 for a full system and rewiring, etc... so I opted to start with just the head unit. I am satisfied with the system as it is now.
I don't think I'm going to keep this car forever, so this isn't the one I'm going to spend crazy money on a stereo. Maybe when I get an S-Class someday.
Old 03-15-2004, 03:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

01' CLK55
Originally posted by fatchance
Dstorfer,

I am in the process of gathering all the bits to do a total redo of the audio system.

My E430 currently also has the Blose system and will be totally rewired with a complete new system. This includes headunit, amps, EQ, speakers, subs and changer.

As soon as it's done, I'll post the blow by blow details.

As michakaveli said, a wiring harness and antenna adapter are a must. I bought the Metra/VW harness (70-1784) and the european VW/Audi/BMW antenna adapter at Circuit City.

For the basic wires, (+12V/ 12V acc, ground and illumination), the colors all matched up from harness to HU. Don't worry about the colors of the harness you plug into because the pins in the connector are in the right place.

So far, my component list includes:

Sony CDX-C90 head unit
Sony XDP-210 EQ
Sony CDX-838 Changer (the ugly red one)
Focal 165V3 polyglass front
Soundstream 8 in. subs (rear deck)
US Acoustics 4 ch amp
US Acoustics mono sub amp
Kicker rear fill speakers

Ebay was a great source for most of the gear.

-travis
dang. wish i could remember who told me i was incorrect for saying that the harness was made by METRA.....LOL