M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

weather seals

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-18-2003, 09:40 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
99 ml430
weather seals

I noticed that the 01 mls have a better weather strip that goes around the front and rear doors.
Is this an item that can be installed on the 99s?
If so where can I find it?
Old 08-19-2003, 07:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Mercedes-Benz
Re: weather seals

Originally posted by concept7
I noticed that the 01 mls have a better weather strip that goes around the front and rear doors.
Is this an item that can be installed on the 99s?
If so where can I find it?
yes, they can be installed. I put it on my 99 320 and the doors shut much nicer and slightly less noise on the highway. Call Clair parts, they sell a kit for like 150 bucks. www.clairparts.com
Old 08-31-2003, 10:32 PM

Location: Satellite Beach, Florida ( one hr. due West of Disney World)
2000 CLK 430 Cab w/Ash/Dark ash leather and Ash top : all options
Will these new seals also work with a '98? I'm going to upgrade the wife's ML320 with a lot of the new upgrades I've found on this forum; thanks folks for all the great info, as I'm usually only on the W208 forum.

BTW, all you who live in or close by to Central Florida, please check out the Events forum about the upcoming Space Coast Beach Bash on Sept. 28th!!

Jim
Old 09-01-2003, 02:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes-Benz
Originally posted by Jim C.
Will these new seals also work with a '98? I'm going to upgrade the wife's ML320 with a lot of the new upgrades I've found on this forum; thanks folks for all the great info, as I'm usually only on the W208 forum.

BTW, all you who live in or close by to Central Florida, please check out the Events forum about the upcoming Space Coast Beach Bash on Sept. 28th!!

Jim
Yes, this upgrade works for 98s and 99s only.
Old 09-02-2003, 01:51 AM
Banned

99 ml430
you know it helps if there were instructions on where the seals go exactly.
Old 09-03-2003, 11:09 AM

98ML320
Did someone say instructions......

http://www.keysolutions.com/M-Class....256845007d1f48
Old 09-04-2003, 07:32 PM

1999 ML430
Here is something I put together awhile ago. You can decide how useful it is.

Door Seals Instructions.

First thing is to sort the seals by door and place them on the seat by each door. It looks a little complex when you see them all together. There are 2 for each front door and 3 for the rears.

Left front (driver side).
163 720 05 78, rear edge of door and bottom.
163 720 07 78, front from above hinge to bottom of door.

Left rear (driver side).
163 730 13 78, rear edge of door.
163 730 07 78, lower front and bottom of door.
163 730 15 78, front edge. You already have a form of this one that will need to be removed.

Right front (passenger side).
163 720 06 78, rear edge of door and bottom.
163 720 08 78, front from above hinge to bottom of door.

Right rear (passenger side).
163 730 14 78, rear edge of door.
163 730 08 78, lower front and bottom of door.
163 730 16 78, front edge. You already have a form of this one that will need to be removed.

Now that you have them all sorted it does not look all that bad.

Next thing we want to do is test fit the seals to see the area that you will have to clean prior to adhering the seals. Start on the rear edge of the front driver side door and follow the contour of the door with the seal. The seals only go one way so take your time and you will get it. You will notice little rubber grommets on the seals that will pop into holes in the door. Some of these will not have a hole to go into. You can handle this in 2 ways either cut them off or drill holes. I just cut mine off with a pair of wire snips. Where there are holes you will have to remove the plugs before popping in the seal grommet. Do this for the both doors on one side because the other side will be the same. Now, you need too carefully, thoroughly clean the path the seal will follow. Alcohol works real well for this. Once you have the area clean you are ready to adhere the seals. Peel off the backing from the seals a little at a time as you install them. Make sure the adhesive part is flat against the door jamb surface. Press firmly. Once you do one side the other side is the same. Just take your time and you will do just fine.

For the left and right rear door front edge you will have to remove the existing seals. Just remove the screw and pull off the seal. You might have to clean off some of the existing adhesive before installing the new ones. I found the existing adhesive still sticky and made for an even better grip. Your call. Good luck.

Go to this site to see some pics I posted. Since my ML is black and so are the seals it is a little hard to see.

http://ImageEvent.com/wmonte/doorseals
Old 09-04-2003, 07:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes-Benz
Originally posted by BillM
Here is something I put together awhile ago. You can decide how useful it is.

Door Seals Instructions.

First thing is to sort the seals by door and place them on the seat by each door. It looks a little complex when you see them all together. There are 2 for each front door and 3 for the rears.

Left front (driver side).
163 720 05 78, rear edge of door and bottom.
163 720 07 78, front from above hinge to bottom of door.

Left rear (driver side).
163 730 13 78, rear edge of door.
163 730 07 78, lower front and bottom of door.
163 730 15 78, front edge. You already have a form of this one that will need to be removed.

Right front (passenger side).
163 720 06 78, rear edge of door and bottom.
163 720 08 78, front from above hinge to bottom of door.

Right rear (passenger side).
163 730 14 78, rear edge of door.
163 730 08 78, lower front and bottom of door.
163 730 16 78, front edge. You already have a form of this one that will need to be removed.

Now that you have them all sorted it does not look all that bad.

Next thing we want to do is test fit the seals to see the area that you will have to clean prior to adhering the seals. Start on the rear edge of the front driver side door and follow the contour of the door with the seal. The seals only go one way so take your time and you will get it. You will notice little rubber grommets on the seals that will pop into holes in the door. Some of these will not have a hole to go into. You can handle this in 2 ways either cut them off or drill holes. I just cut mine off with a pair of wire snips. Where there are holes you will have to remove the plugs before popping in the seal grommet. Do this for the both doors on one side because the other side will be the same. Now, you need too carefully, thoroughly clean the path the seal will follow. Alcohol works real well for this. Once you have the area clean you are ready to adhere the seals. Peel off the backing from the seals a little at a time as you install them. Make sure the adhesive part is flat against the door jamb surface. Press firmly. Once you do one side the other side is the same. Just take your time and you will do just fine.

For the left and right rear door front edge you will have to remove the existing seals. Just remove the screw and pull off the seal. You might have to clean off some of the existing adhesive before installing the new ones. I found the existing adhesive still sticky and made for an even better grip. Your call. Good luck.

Go to this site to see some pics I posted. Since my ML is black and so are the seals it is a little hard to see.

http://ImageEvent.com/wmonte/doorseals
I used Bill's instructions to install my seals and they were great! Nice write up bill glad u posted it.
Old 09-05-2003, 06:18 PM

98ML320
great pix and instructions.

I wanted to point out to anyone who cares, that the original small rubber boot that surrounds the door stop of the front doors is supposed to be removed if you put on the new seals as they interfere with each other. (your picture 2).

The new seals do the same function and the originals might wear down new seals prematurely. But really it's up to each individual afterall we're customizing aren't we....
Old 09-07-2003, 09:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes-Benz
Originally posted by bigcatny

I wanted to point out to anyone who cares, that the original small rubber boot that surrounds the door stop of the front doors is supposed to be removed if you put on the new seals as they interfere with each other. (your picture 2).

The new seals do the same function and the originals might wear down new seals prematurely. But really it's up to each individual afterall we're customizing aren't we....
good point, i removed that boot on mine.
Old 09-07-2003, 09:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes-Benz
Originally posted by bigcatny

good point, i removed that boot on mine.