C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

any interest in a group buy for Hids4less kits?

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 03-01-2002, 02:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GLB 250 4matic
Question any interest in a group buy for Hids4less kits?

i'm trying to gauge interest in a group buy for hids4less kits.
stage 1 or 2
please let me know if you're SERIOUS about it. [serioussmiley]

need 10 people

email me or pm me.
thanks

----
here's renncpe's thread on the hids4less kit - has more info about the kits.
https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...ight=hids4less

and the DAS settings to change from halogen to xenon
http://www.infopages.net/renntech/HI...on_present.htm

----
i'm getting some questions for the kits for older models and i'm sorry, i don't have the answers about compatibility. be sure to check w/ hids4less to make sure they have the right kits. being relatively self-centered, i only checked for the coupes :p
http://www.hids4less.com/index2.htm

----

pricing confirmed:

thru my excellent negotiation skills , i have weasled out the following prices for the group buy:

<font size=4>Stage 1 Kits $450 (list $550)
Stage 2 Kits $575 (list $750) </font>

a local shop has quoted $112 for the installation if you want someone else to do it. the dealer must change the DAS for you to set to xenon from halogen (cost will vary - i hope my local dealer does it for free )

Last edited by young; 03-03-2002 at 11:08 AM.
Old 03-01-2002, 05:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 MB C230 SS 6spd, Navi
I'll Buy

Only if it doesn't generate a warning about a bulb out. somewhere on another thread I thought I read that the computer would generate an error because it does not recognize the xenon bulb.
Old 03-02-2002, 11:47 AM

C230
Young, Great news. The Stage II pricing is even more impressive. Would they extend the pricing to other bulb sizes for other cars, if it meant more sales. I was thinking of getting a set for my mothers 2000 VW Beetle.
Old 03-02-2002, 12:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Location: Sitting behind thing freakin desk of mine. Dreaming I was playing my Taylors, and driving my Benz. Long Live The VRAA!!!!!!
C230 Sports Coupe
I'm in but it won't be for a few weeks though. Stage 1's I don't think the stage 2 will be that much more different and I want it to look like the other Mercedes.
Old 03-02-2002, 07:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'19 GLC 300, '19 TM3SR+
I'm in, Young! Any time - but providing they have sorted out the W203 connector issue.

Stage I is what I'd like to get, but my concern is - can it be mistaken by cops for overwatted halogens? In which case stage II is a safer bet - it leaves no doubts that this *is* HID

Last edited by vadim; 03-02-2002 at 07:06 PM.
Old 03-03-2002, 01:49 AM

Originally posted by young
pricing confirmed:

thru my excellent negotiation skills , i have weasled out the following prices for the group buy:

<b>Stage 1 Kits $450</b> (list $550)
<b>Stage 2 Kits $575</b> (list $750)

a local shop has quoted $112 for the installation if you want someone else to do it. the dealer must change the DAS for you to set to xenon from halogen (cost will vary - i hope my local dealer does it for free )
I'm ready. Name the time and place.

$112.00 Install? Where are you <I><B>Young</B></I> Architecht from planet earth? Can I coupe my way to you?
Old 03-03-2002, 10:32 AM
Bos

2002 C230K
^^^
Old 03-04-2002, 03:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Toyota Tacoma & Lexus IS250
you say you've worked out the connector issue ??
Old 03-04-2002, 03:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLB 250 4matic
Originally posted by TimmyC230boy
How hard is the install? I installed a supercharger on a Camaro before. It couldnt be that hard right?
i have no idea as i've never done it before. but randy says it isn't too difficult so i'm going to tackle the project myself i'm a total novice at this... it better come w/ some decent instructions.

i've worked out all the details including the connector issue, purchasing details, etc... and <edit>we've got 9 buyers... sorry, i spoke too soon! but we're almost there </edit>

<b>also, i want to thank Randy - renncpe - for all his help w/ this group buy (behind the scenes stuff).</b>

the connector is circled. it comes w/ the hids kit.

Last edited by young; 03-05-2002 at 08:00 PM.
Old 03-04-2002, 11:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Location: Sitting behind thing freakin desk of mine. Dreaming I was playing my Taylors, and driving my Benz. Long Live The VRAA!!!!!!
C230 Sports Coupe
How hard is the install? I installed a supercharger on a Camaro before. It couldnt be that hard right?
Old 03-05-2002, 12:21 AM

Timmy Boy sounds like your dad the TV repairman has a killer set of tools.
Old 03-05-2002, 08:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLB 250 4matic
hi all,

update #3

hids4less has a 5 year warranty for both ballasts and bulbs
the connectors are definitely included as part of the kit
relays were recommended b/c they did not know that the coupe had a xenon/halogen setting that could be set
stage 2 is definitely more popular
there are 7 people who are still figuring out little details (still 9 definites)
once we get 10, i will send out the sooper dooper shhh secret password and code for you to use when contacting hids4less - they will speak to each person individually to make sure they answer any specific questions that you have (but, note that randy and i have had spotty luck w/ communication w/ them)

install may be simple for some but i'm thinking it will NOT be just plug & play. i'll probably have to spend all afternoon at least for the installation. and even then, i may just take it to the local tuner shop...

(from renncpe's installation description - my highlights)
<font face="arial narrow" size=3 color=191970>HID installation, first off the install was not exactly plug play. The connection to the current bulb in the car was different from the one on the ballast provided in the kit. I saved the old ones and will be sending them to hids4less so they can make an adapter.

I had to cut and solder two new connectors in place of the stock ones. We removed the front tires and pulled the inter wheel well out (plastic removes with screws and clips). This may not be necessary but I wanted to make sure of the new bulb fit, this gives you an unabated view and access to the rear of the head light assembly.

There is a cover that is maybe 3 inches in diameter that screws off the back of the head light assembly to expose the wiring and bulb. <b>You will have to cut a small notch in the collar where the cap threads on so the new wires from the ballast can pass through to the bulb, the cap is not water tight to begin with so we did not seal the notch.</b>

Now the simple part, plug in the ballast inline with the connector from the car to the ballast and the ballast to the new bulb. Replace the wheel well attach the ballast using the supplied 2x2 Velcro patch on the bottom of the ballast. Done!!! Now plug in the MB laptop go three menus down under the EIS electronic ignition switch and mark xenon light present. That all….. Works with no problem re aim the lights, and wait until dark and be amazed..</font>

renncpe and i talked about that notch - i think we agreed that a small drilled hole may have been better than a notch in the edge. it would be easier to replace just that cap rather than the whole housing if there was a problem. maybe he can clarify this part some more if anyone has any questions regarding that part.

from Hids4less - they say detailed instructions are provided and that all packages are overpackaged for safe delivery:

<font face="arial narrow" size=3 color=191970>Installation of HID... What is involved?

Installation of HID is not very difficult or time consuming. You need some very basic mechanic skills and a little time. Detailed Instructions are included in every kit.

Installation for Hid4Less xenon kits are not much more difficult than installing halogen bulbs. In a nutshell, simply insert the HID light in the light housing, find a suitable location for the ballasts and run 1 wire to the bulb connect the factory harness to the ballast. No modifying or splicing is needed. Of course if you run into a problem, we offer technical support with all our kits </font>
http://www.hids4less.com/faq.htm

finally, note that by installing this kit, you are doing something that MB doesn't like. but i assume that most of you are ADULTS and mature enough to make up your own mind w/ the risks in mind. i make no implied guarantee in any way about the kits so i can't give any personal reassurance about them. i have the same info that you do about hids4less (randy's successful installation and the article in european car magazine about them) so i take an equal risk. also, i hate sales... so i don't want to sell anything. i hope you are already sold on the idea of hids and do not need me to convince you b/c i'm very bad at it. (um, i used to work at j.crew as a cashier when younger and i grew to despise sales... :p)

Last edited by young; 03-06-2002 at 12:14 AM.
Old 03-05-2002, 11:20 PM

Awaiting a new arrival...
Can you clarify exactly what is included in the kits, or provide photos of each piece/assembly etc...? It's pretty bad when the parts are arriving and more are being ordered even before the car is here.
Old 03-06-2002, 11:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLB 250 4matic
all the hids kit are pretty standard, i believe.

bulbs
ballasts (which has the igniters) + velcro to hold them
wiring

i don't have a pic of the specific pieces other than the pic posted above; maybe randy does and can post them. the following pic shows the relays which we don't need. (at least for the coupes)

here's a similar kit pic from autolamps:

<strike>anyone know what D2R and D2S bulbs mean? i was asked this by one person.</strike>

well, i called hids4less and asked what the difference was between D2R and D2S. the tech guy said that the D2Rs have a strip of grey plastic? that supposedly reduces glare. but he said that they can't tell the difference. if you want though, they can give you either type.

as for autolamps' philips kits, this is what they said about the D2R bulbs <b>"We only use the D2S in all the HID conversion kits we make, it is not necessary to use the D2R in any retrofit conversion."</b>

anyone else have any more info on the differences? but this also seems to be not a big deal.

Last edited by young; 03-06-2002 at 02:15 PM.
Old 03-06-2002, 11:38 AM

Randy, any comments on going this route?

Young, thanks for putting this together. When does a commital need to be given to get in on this deal and is it a one time shot only?

Anyone know what type of Xenons an ML has with the optional Xenon headlight package? I like the look mine have, just curious more than anything else and too busy to research thoroughly.

Thanks to all.
Old 03-06-2002, 11:41 AM

One more question...

No cutting of any original wiring is required, correct? Everything is plug and play with a little bit or trim removal to put it all together, is what I am reading at least.
Old 03-06-2002, 01:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Toyota Tacoma & Lexus IS250
and I'm assuming the supplied connector will work for the sedan as well as the coupe.
Old 03-06-2002, 02:10 PM

w203 c230K 2002
Hid install

You will not have to splice any wires to install the kit it will have the correct connectors required to make the connection. The only thing you will have to do is to drill or cut a hole to allow the wires to thread through from the ballets to the new bulbs, the hole should be in the center of the screw off cap that fits on the back of the headlight assembly. I do recommend removing the wheels and the interlines from the wheel wells. This does not require much more time but it provides a good view of the back of the headlight assembly, and makes the process easer.
Randy

ps the picture of the kit that Young put up is very accurate compaired to the kit I got from hids4less.
Old 03-06-2002, 03:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'19 GLC 300, '19 TM3SR+

<strike>anyone know what D2R and D2S bulbs mean? i was asked this by one person.</strike>

well, i called hids4less and asked what the difference was between D2R and D2S. the tech guy said that the D2Rs have a strip of grey plastic? that supposedly reduces glare. but he said that they can't tell the difference. if you want though, they can give you either type.

as for autolamps' philips kits, this is what they said about the D2R bulbs <b>"We only use the D2S in all the HID conversion kits we make, it is not necessary to use the D2R in any retrofit conversion."</b>

anyone else have any more info on the differences? but this also seems to be not a big deal.
D2S - plain
D2R - like D2S but with heat-resistant black paint on spots to control the light output pattern

The above are 35 watt lamps. D2S and D1S types nominally produce 3200 lumens of light and the D2R and D1R types nominally produce 2800 lumens of light.

Last edited by vadim; 03-06-2002 at 03:32 PM.
Old 03-06-2002, 07:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLB 250 4matic
UPDATE #4

hello all... <b>we have the 10!</b> (5 people are still maybes). i will be sending out final info via pm for all those in the group buy on friday.

one person asked who the bulb manufacturer is and the answer is Phillips.

i just called my dealer (R&S imports) about changing the DAS settings. of course, he didn't know that that could be done... but it would not be a problem. he's also going to change my speed-sensitive volume to 0dBs and my fuel settings to 93octane (stage3).

actually, he didn't know about all three settings, but i told him i'd bring in the instructions and he said no problem. no appt necessary, just bring in the car...

so the DAS setting issue is dealer dependent... YMMV

Last edited by young; 03-06-2002 at 07:27 PM.
Old 03-06-2002, 07:21 PM

C230
Great News. Thank You Young. You make this site not only more informative and enjoyable, but now you save us money too. What a Guy!!!
Old 03-06-2002, 07:23 PM

M3

(from renncpe's installation description - my highlights)
<font face="arial narrow" size=3 color=191970>HID installation, first off the install was not exactly plug play. The connection to the current bulb in the car was different from the one on the ballast provided in the kit. I saved the old ones and will be sending them to hids4less so they can make an adapter.

I had to cut and solder two new connectors in place of the stock ones.
I want to join the group buy for the kit, but the above statement by Renncpe makes me a little uneasy about installing the kit.

Could someone clarify what Renncpe had to do above and beyond the usual install (I've done a few HID conversions before, but all of them were very straight forward).
Old 03-06-2002, 07:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLB 250 4matic
here's my understanding of the connectors:

renncpe ordered the kit w/ the relays as recommended by hids4less. however, the relays proved to be unnecessary as the computer can be set to Xenons rather than halogens (the relays would have made them look like halogens to the computer)

the connectors (as circled) were on the relays. renncpe had to take them off and use them in order to connect them to the ballast.

the kits w/out the relays will include those connectors standard. and renncpe's follow-up post makes it seem a lot simpler. however, <b>i</b> am a total novice at this stuff so for me, it probably will be a comedy of errors... but live and learn, right?
Old 03-06-2002, 11:46 PM

installation in dc area

ive noticed some people here are from DC and wonder if anyone knows a place to get the HIDs installed. im having a tough time finding a local dealer who will do it.

thanks,

j.

rubell@speakeasy.net
Old 03-06-2002, 11:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLB 250 4matic
everyone who is in on the group buy, please check your PMs. i will be sending one more PM on friday w/ specific details on the group buy.

thanks for everyone's patience (actually, we got it together in about a week so that's pretty good!). i hope it all works out for us.

<strike>btw, please pm me w/ your real names (well, at least the name of the person who will order the kits).</strike>

--------

i pm-ed a request for your names but, if you're not comfortable sending me your name, just give me your first name and last name initial. like Young S.

thanks

(and somebody help kingjer out! )

Last edited by young; 03-07-2002 at 12:04 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: any interest in a group buy for Hids4less kits?