C-Class (W202) 1995-2000: C 200 CDI, C 220 CDI, C 270 CDI, C 180, C 200 K,C 230 K, C 220, C230, C 280

Broken Wing Mirror Mount:(

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-04-2003, 08:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Broken Wing Mirror Mount:(

Hi all -

Looking for advice on removing/replacing the wing mirror mount.

I was washing the car (99 C280) couple weekends ago, and I bent the mirror housing slightly left/right (as I usually do) to let the water run out - and cracked the mount which secures the wire tether holding the mirror housing in place.

I was able to remove the three screws holding the mount on the door, but not the two plastic multiway plugs for the mirror motor and (I assume) the autodimming feature.

Does anyone know how to or the trick to remove these multi-way plugs without Serious Damage to the connectors???

thanks...rich
Old 08-06-2003, 05:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
11 ML350W2 / 17 GLC300
Are you sure you cracked the mount? I did what you did and broke the spring hanger finger off of the mount. I didn't have time to work on it and my wife took the car to the dealer for repair. They replaced the mirror assembly - about $450 + labor. They returned the old mirror assembly to me and I then was able to create a new spring hanger mount with a screw and epoxy. I have that mirror as a spare for when I break this one. My question now is how to take the plastic cover off of the mirror? If I can take that off, I can repair the mirror.

Jim
Old 08-06-2003, 07:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GL320CDI / C63 Edition 507 Coupe (EDP) / E63 S (on order) / G500 / Smart Brabus
Re: Broken Wing Mirror Mount:(

Originally posted by wingspan

Does anyone know how to or the trick to remove these multi-way plugs without Serious Damage to the connectors???

thanks...rich
Just pull them, they are press fit without any locking keys.

You can buy a stock mirror assembly for pretty cheap either here or off eBay. I can provide you with one if you can't find it.

You can also upgrade to W210 model update mirrors, with blinkers. If you don't want to go through the hassle of hooking up blinker wires, you can just plug them in and they will work as your old ones, without blinker. These are relatively cheap too, and update the look of your car.

-s-
Old 08-06-2003, 07:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GL320CDI / C63 Edition 507 Coupe (EDP) / E63 S (on order) / G500 / Smart Brabus
Originally posted by JimPurdy
My question now is how to take the plastic cover off of the mirror? If I can take that off, I can repair the mirror.

Jim
To remove the mirror cover, you need to bend the mirror cover back from the base. If the spring or its hanger is broken, this should be very easy. If it isn't broken, bend it back and stick something in to hold it apart about 1". Then, peer into the mirror guts, and you'll find a clip that retains the cover onto the mirror frame. Depending on the age of your car, there are two types. The first is a flat shiny sheet metal U-shaped piece. This piece has a lip bent out at the bottom of the U, you slide this AWAY from the tab with a large screwdriver and it will release the cover. The older style has two pieces of thick spring wire that fit into notches in the mirror cover, they have eyelets at the end of the spring wire usually. Just pry both of those out of the notch in the cover.

-s-