S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

Would you buy another MB product after what i've been through??

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 4.00 average.

Old 08-25-2002, 10:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 S500, 2001 ML430
Question Would you buy another MB product after what i've been through??

Is it only me, or do alot of MB owners keep coming back to buy more MB products, even though their ownership experience has been miserable??

Here's what i've been through in the last 24 months with 3 Mercedes products:

2001 ML430
- ignition coil failed at 13 months
- fuel pump failed at 16 months
- rear rotors replaced at 9,000 miles
- glove compartment broke TWICE
- Plastic trim pieces on both sides of hatch glass cracked (stress fracture) - evidently a common problem
-

2001 S500 with Active Body Control (ABC), Sport
- ABC warning light came on at 4 weeks; ignition switch replaced
- ABC failed (car tilted down like a flat tire) three separate times, on 2 different locations. Lots of parts replaced.
- Driver seat rail replaced due to rattle/looseness
(MERCEDES REPLACED THIS CAR WITH "MARKETING FUNDS" AND ORDERED ME A 2002)

2002 S500 with Active Body Control, Sport
- Pump steering pulley broke at 10,000 miles
- Drive seat rail replaced due to rattle (same problem as 2001 S500)
- Headlight failed to start quickly triggering malfunction code. Headlight burner replaced at 4,000 miles
- Easy Exit steering wheel wouldn't return to preset memory setting. I had to tell the dealer about the TSB on this problem
- Brought car in for 10,000 service to fix a few problems; dealer had car for 2 days and forgot to do the 10k "A" Service

By the way - we got rid of the 01 ML430 and bought an Acura MDX. 6 months later - not a single problem and my wife LOVES the dealerership, service dept, etc.!

So - I'm curious. Would any of you buy another MB product after going through this? Or is this typical?

Thanks for your feedback.
Old 08-25-2002, 11:50 AM
MKW

08 GL450
I have gone through 4 radios for 4 different problems , 3 CD changers, 2 sets of catalytic convertors, numerous electrical gremlins, contuining problems with the auto leveling rear shocks, 3 sets of A/C controllers and temp sensors - still auto climate control is wacky - have to set temp at 84 -85 degrees in 105 deg weather , otherwise you get frozen on my 2000 E class wagon. Mostly electrical stuff. I cringe when I read about all the high tech electrical stuff on the new Maybach . Good luck to THOSE brave buyers.
Don't even ask about my ML 430. Yesterday lost the temp read out . Here we go again.
Plus my " personal" service consultant at local dealer is different every time I call his " private" number. Turnover is high - heard that since the company went high volume with the C-class , techs and personal are swamped with work , so doesn't matter that you paid $130K , you get treated like you are leasing a $22K C hatchback.Sorta like a high end restaurant - all calm, beautiful and cool in the front, but sweatshop hell in the back of the business. Looking more like a Toyota or Chevy dealership in terms of hustle bustle.
On a related note, JD Power rankings on Lexus have dropped because of the IS model. It increased volume - everyone is busier - good for the dealer- but frustrating for the customer. But more importantly, the IS owner is a new type of Lexus buyer - much younger, more demanding "enthusiast" and much more particular of the service quality , with no brand loyalty and ready to " rip" on these surveys. Most Lexus owners of the early nineties were in their 50s switching from Olds and Buick , so of course the car and it's dealers got A+ ratings by comparison. It will be harder for Lexus now that they are going after a younger sportier BMW -intending ( instead of Cadillac , which they already wiped out) buyer .

Last edited by MKW; 08-25-2002 at 06:37 PM.
Old 08-25-2002, 01:40 PM

worst prob i ever had with a benz was the air conditioning going out on a 93 S320, its getting repaired right now :p
Old 08-26-2002, 09:00 PM

Lexus GS430
Re: Would you buy another MB product after what i've been through??

Originally posted by olneymd
Is it only me, or do alot of MB owners keep coming back to buy more MB products, even though their ownership experience has been miserable??

Here's what i've been through in the last 24 months with 3 Mercedes products:

2001 ML430
- ignition coil failed at 13 months
- fuel pump failed at 16 months
- rear rotors replaced at 9,000 miles
- glove compartment broke TWICE
- Plastic trim pieces on both sides of hatch glass cracked (stress fracture) - evidently a common problem
-

2001 S500 with Active Body Control (ABC), Sport
- ABC warning light came on at 4 weeks; ignition switch replaced
- ABC failed (car tilted down like a flat tire) three separate times, on 2 different locations. Lots of parts replaced.
- Driver seat rail replaced due to rattle/looseness
(MERCEDES REPLACED THIS CAR WITH "MARKETING FUNDS" AND ORDERED ME A 2002)

2002 S500 with Active Body Control, Sport
- Pump steering pulley broke at 10,000 miles
- Drive seat rail replaced due to rattle (same problem as 2001 S500)
- Headlight failed to start quickly triggering malfunction code. Headlight burner replaced at 4,000 miles
- Easy Exit steering wheel wouldn't return to preset memory setting. I had to tell the dealer about the TSB on this problem
- Brought car in for 10,000 service to fix a few problems; dealer had car for 2 days and forgot to do the 10k "A" Service

By the way - we got rid of the 01 ML430 and bought an Acura MDX. 6 months later - not a single problem and my wife LOVES the dealerership, service dept, etc.!

So - I'm curious. Would any of you buy another MB product after going through this? Or is this typical?

Thanks for your feedback.
Wow..that's s##k. I'm sorry. I hope you have enough time to go to the dealer.
Old 08-27-2002, 12:05 AM
MKW

08 GL450
Now my E320 wagon has acted up again - tilt down right mirror doesn't return after backing up and left rear door window switch not working. Guess I have to make TWO appointments tomorrow.
Old 08-27-2002, 12:32 PM
Mat

S550V4 - 2009 Black on Black Loaded ! 06-M5-Silver/black ! 08-LX570 (Silver - Best SUV ever !)
Angry

This is a very good question. I think I have some sort of a "love-hate relationship" with MB. One thing is for sure. I have noticed a serious decline in the quality of customer support provided by MB. Looks like they do not care anymore ! I have had my fill of problems with my S500/2000 !! The local dealership in Indianapolis (service department) is far from satisfactory. Even MB couldn't help. I am begining to look for alternate options such as Lexus, BMW.
Old 08-27-2002, 12:55 PM
MKW

08 GL450
The ideal world would be MBZ products with Lexus build quality /reliability /customer care . A nearby Lexus dealership has service until midnight on weekdays and Sat/Sun service until 5 pm ! Unfortunately, I don't like Lexus design and its Cadillac -like emphasis on smoothness , isolation and quiet at the expense of road feel vs MBZ or BMW products.
Old 08-27-2002, 02:37 PM

ML 55, M3 Coupe
I still would by another ML 55 if I wanted another one.
Old 08-27-2002, 09:58 PM

Lexus GS430
Originally posted by MKW
The ideal world would be MBZ products with Lexus build quality /reliability /customer care . A nearby Lexus dealership has service until midnight on weekdays and Sat/Sun service until 5 pm ! Unfortunately, I don't like Lexus design and its Cadillac -like emphasis on smoothness , isolation and quiet at the expense of road feel vs MBZ or BMW products.
What do you mean by the ideal world would be MBZ...The MB will not care.. You will see more and more C-class with Mopar power underneath. The cost cutting. They will share the same platform , engines, transmision and electricals component with Chrysler. That why the company now called Daimmer-Chrysler...LOL.
Old 08-27-2002, 10:05 PM
Out Of Control!!

Volvo V90 CC
I've had 3 problems with my car at around 40k miles, one after another, but all were taken care by the dealer at no cost, engine mount broke (Left), a/c dryer or eveporator broke, left rear windows regulator broke. the car has 50k miles and no more problems, I've got the extended warranty just in case.
Old 08-28-2002, 02:32 AM

SC400
Where do you get the data that Lexus owners come from Buick and Oldsmobile? Have you seen Mercedes Benz and BMW sales drop like a rock after Lexus debuted? Lexus is still number one in customer service as far as I'm concerned. Nothing has changed from three months ago to today. IS300 owners are (for the most part) jack asses. Maybe it's the residual BMW crowd? Just go to IS300.net and see for yourself.

Incidentally A LOT of former BMW drivers switch over to Lexus and Acura due to the stress and frustration with poor reliability and poor service. If you think Mercedes has it bad, BMWs have the most god-awful build quality you'll ever see in a premium brand. I have many links, many testimonial, and many owner friends to verify that if you doubt it. Lots of ClubLexus guys were former BMW drivers and ask them about BMW and they'll have a mouthful for you.

My Lexus is seven years old, has 62,000 miles and has yet to encounter even the slightest of the slightest minor electrical malfunction let alone an engine-related failure. I am only one of millions. In fact, I don't think I've ever read of a single engine failure on all of ClubLexus. Engine mechanics tell me my 1UZ-FE engine is good for 400,000 miles without a rebuild and these same guys tell me they've never seen a Lexus engine failure. It is pretty safe to say these cars are bulletproof. I am shocked to hear of all these problems you guys are experiencing at such low miles. If you want to stick with Mercedes, I would suggest you buy none other than an AMG model. Those seem to be the only ones built right these days.
Old 08-28-2002, 02:41 AM

you are right about the BMW build quality. i guess that if you want the "ultimate driving machine" you gotta have the ultimate pos quality.
Old 08-28-2002, 10:22 AM
MKW

08 GL450
It's a known fact that after Lexus debuted in 1989 with the LS 400, 70 % of it's buyers were conquests from Oldsmobile and some from Cadillac and Buick. The rest were move up buyers from Toyota and Honda, etc. Very little conquest sales from BMW and MBZ in those days as their owners weren't sure about the brand and Acura was still the preferred Japanese luxury make . Lexus shrewdly targeted the increasingly dissapointed American luxury buyer. That's why Olds will soon be out of business and Cadillac and Lincoln sedan sales have fallen off the face of the earth.
If you notice, BMW and MBZ sales are at record levels and way higher than they were in the US 10 years ago despite Lexus' success and it's broadened line up and buyer demographic.
You write like a typical car enthusiast who doesn't even know about American " luxury" car history - well that's basically because they were wiped out by Lexus ! Lexus /Toyota is a very conservative company - they know their demographic and know how to maintain their image with them . I've followed the car bizz for 35 years and have seen it all and know where it's going.
I'm not saying Lexus isn't competitive with MBZ and BMW now, of course they are - but they built their US business at GM and Ford's expense, not the Germans.

Last edited by MKW; 08-28-2002 at 10:25 AM.
Old 09-03-2002, 06:29 PM

C240
"..I've followed the car bizz for 35 years and have seen it all and know where it's going. "

Gee thanks for spending your time and posting here rather than saving GM or Ford. BMW is going to need a new head one Bangle is kicked out for messing up the 5-series. Sound's like you would be perfect for the job!
Old 09-03-2002, 07:22 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
isn't toyota trying to get more american?
Old 09-03-2002, 07:38 PM

Porsche 997 C2S
Originally posted by vraa
isn't toyota trying to get more american?
I think it always has been. I read a Car and Driver article discussing how the Camry is a sales leader in the United States, but doesn't even show a small blip in sales in Europe. Different markets, different tastes.
Old 09-03-2002, 07:43 PM
Mat

S550V4 - 2009 Black on Black Loaded ! 06-M5-Silver/black ! 08-LX570 (Silver - Best SUV ever !)
Well well well !!!
Old 09-03-2002, 07:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It Varies
I guess im lucky......no problems whatsoever with the 2 mercedes' we have.
Old 09-03-2002, 07:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i535
I understand you. I didn't have any problem with my Chevy Monte Carlo after 5 year and 76Kmiles. Mercedes can play with us, because there are no any other cars giving so nice feeling from any side. How you can explain that most of American cars have automatic lights from 1995 and Mercedes just started to apply it? Most of Mercedes do not have right alignment just at delivery. Bulbs burn out quickly, when it never happens in another cars . I can speak about Mercedes problems endlessly. You can choose to by Acura and be problem free, but you will be also joy free, believe me. Another big group of people with the same problems are Jaguar buyer. So, I do not know what to suggest. It's like you can select healthy food without spices and meat, and live long time or get excited spice food and die quickly with terrible pain in stomach.
Old 09-03-2002, 11:34 PM
MKW

08 GL450
Funny analogy Dema. Have you been to one of those wealthy suburb upscale supermarkets that only sell " healthy" food laden with " natural" sugars and megagrams of " non-trans fatty acid " fat ? Boy, there are some of the more severe , grim, wrinkled , joyless pale looking bunch of " healthy" shoppers you'll find anywhere.

Last edited by MKW; 09-03-2002 at 11:40 PM.
Old 09-03-2002, 11:40 PM

SC400
Originally posted by MKW
Funny analogy Dema. Have you been to a Whole Foods Market , or similar politically correct purveyors of " healthy" food laden with " natural" sugars and megagrams of " non-trans fatty acid " fat ? Boy, there are some of the more severe , grim, wrinkled , joyless pale looking bunch of " healthy" shoppers you'll find anywhere.
ROTFLMFAO.....
Old 09-10-2002, 05:00 PM

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts
15 AMG S63 4-matic coupe
Originally posted by MKW
I have gone through 4 radios for 4 different problems , 3 CD changers, 2 sets of catalytic convertors, numerous electrical gremlins, contuining problems with the auto leveling rear shocks, 3 sets of A/C controllers and temp sensors - still auto climate control is wacky - have to set temp at 84 -85 degrees in 105 deg weather , otherwise you get frozen on my 2000 E class wagon. Mostly electrical stuff. I cringe when I read about all the high tech electrical stuff on the new Maybach . Good luck to THOSE brave buyers.
Don't even ask about my ML 430. Yesterday lost the temp read out . Here we go again.
Plus my " personal" service consultant at local dealer is different every time I call his " private" number. Turnover is high - heard that since the company went high volume with the C-class , techs and personal are swamped with work , so doesn't matter that you paid $130K , you get treated like you are leasing a $22K C hatchback.Sorta like a high end restaurant - all calm, beautiful and cool in the front, but sweatshop hell in the back of the business. Looking more like a Toyota or Chevy dealership in terms of hustle bustle.
On a related note, JD Power rankings on Lexus have dropped because of the IS model. It increased volume - everyone is busier - good for the dealer- but frustrating for the customer. But more importantly, the IS owner is a new type of Lexus buyer - much younger, more demanding "enthusiast" and much more particular of the service quality , with no brand loyalty and ready to " rip" on these surveys. Most Lexus owners of the early nineties were in their 50s switching from Olds and Buick , so of course the car and it's dealers got A+ ratings by comparison. It will be harder for Lexus now that they are going after a younger sportier BMW -intending ( instead of Cadillac , which they already wiped out) buyer .
now you understand why daimler chrysler has launched maybach. I honestly believe it is their intent to slowly continue the drift into the mainstream from the high end. This makes sense,. They can leverage the brand awareness. The high end customers will slowly migrate over to the new more expensive Maybach line.
2-3 years out look for a more "personal size sedan" aka an e class derivative to hit the market.
Old 09-10-2002, 10:57 PM

2000 S-500, 2002 745i
Yes.

With the exception of the C-class, so long as Mercedes creates the most beautiful, graceful, and classy vehichles, I'll be driving the Toyota Camry loaner while my car is getting serviced.
Old 10-02-2002, 02:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i535
Another idea

Just got a crazy idea, maybe not we select cars, but cars select us. For example, I had problems with Acura and Jaguar when did test drive. It was like a warning, do not buy us. However, Mercedes whispered me, buy me, I will good for you.
Old 10-02-2002, 11:15 AM
MKW

08 GL450
You may be on to something. When the Range Rover was redone in 1996 or so, I was very interested. But on 3 different test drive vehicles , the glove box door wouldn't relatch and on two cars the passenger grab handle pulled off !
Supposedly, the new one that just came out is supposed to be built better - time will tell .

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 4.00 average.

Quick Reply: Would you buy another MB product after what i've been through??