SLR McLaren (C199) Discussion on the SLR Coupe, Roadster and Sterling Moss Edition.

SLR/C199/R199/Z199: McShocker - test in UK Autocar

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-25-2003, 09:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL500 Ex SL55, ML55, S430
McShocker - test in UK Autocar

Not had chance to read the test as yet but it does not sound too good - the headline on the font page reads.

McSHOCKER - Why the McLaren SLR we've just driven is overpriced, underbraked and overrated.

Cracking video of the Jaguar F1 driver Pizzonia (sp?) getting it badly wrong showing Jounralists around the track in a Jag S type on their web site! http://www.autocarmagazine.com/
Old 11-25-2003, 11:04 AM

Mercedes-Benz A170 CDI
I have the article...

Basically the whole article complained that the steering is too heavy and no feel whatsoever, the ride is harsh, too much tyre noise, and very over priced 313K GBP compared with 250kGBP, orignally quoted. And teh brakes are a complete let down. you push the pedal, nothing happens, and all of a sudden you get braking force that'll pull your spleen out. And there's only a 2 year warranty compared with a 4 year warranty for the Maybach. And most importantly, the interior is cheap! yep, every surface covered in leather, all the toys of an S-class, but its cheap. Do these road-testers ever complain about Porsche's CGT/Enzo? with its head mounted gearlever (CGT) and teh black plastic interior with 1 switch in the Enzo?

The only good points were that it is a real head-turner, more than any Ferrari ever does, so much for those beemer boys who think its "just another Mercedes". And the stupendous power available, come on we all knew that!

Road testers are all idiots. Everyone should drive the car, see if they like it and buy. What a bunch of morons. form now on, I'll only buy Autocar for the pictures.

If you want an article that says the SLR is bad car, buy this one.
Old 11-25-2003, 12:05 PM

SL500 Ex SL55, ML55, S430
I've now read the article. It appears that they struggle to decide where to place the car - with the Vanquish, McLaren, Enzo, etc.

I guess price puts it up against the single minded Enzo, Pagani, etc but in reality it appears the car (mainly due to the weigth of the added luxuries - sat nav, bose, a/c, etc) may be better described at a SuperGT - taking the Vanquish, 575 one step further.

I guess the McLaren name was always going to esnure it was comparer to the old F1. A hard act to follow - even the Enzo is struggling with 10 years of technical advances between the two cars. (Incidentally also compared in this weeks Autocar!)

In the SLR is probably sold out for a long time any way, to the super rich, many of whom will buy on looks alone. And I can't knock em - it looks great.
Old 11-27-2003, 11:20 AM

E500
I read the article as well and all I can say is that the test driver is simply doesn't like the car b'cos he will never be able afford it and/or he finds it difficult to believe that MB has made a good supercar,he complains about the interior-I think the interior is great,the right combination of leather and carbonfibre,at least one can now drive supercar without having the interior look like its an extension of the engine.The equipment levels are also very good for a supercar,you get a CD-changer,sat-nav,climatecontrol and a 7-speaker Bose sound system all as standard and lest not forget that it has Carrera GT performance.If you want to read a proper test drive buy the latest CAR magazine instead(UK version)-the test driver does complain about the brakes but not in a manner that reduces the overall thrill of driving car
And it looks stunning as well!!!!!!
Old 11-27-2003, 12:12 PM

Mercedes-Benz A170 CDI
I agree totally, is the latest CAR magazine out already?
Old 12-01-2003, 04:10 PM

Mercedes-Benz A170 CDI