Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

UK TMC is here

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 05-20-2003, 03:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
2004 SL55, 2015 A250d, 2016 GLC250d
UK TMC is here

I just received my 2003 DX with Michelin navigation disk from Teleatlas (released a few days ago)

After the COMAND system read in the program info, the TMC menu (in settings, traffic info source) is now enabled.

I havent had time to go out and see if it actually works, but before this release the info wasnt on the disk, and the tick-box was greyed out.

(note that 2003 DX without Michelin doesnt have the TMC info on it)

For those of you that think I have just babbled :-
TMC is free information broadcast as part of the RDS signal that tells nav systems about tail-backs and traffic jams.
Nav systems with TMC can then re-route you around the jams.

Obviously the identifier codes (ie where the traffic jam is) that the TMC provider sends need to be mapped to real locations on the map - so the nav disk needs a load of info on it - (location on its own is not good enough, you need to know which carriage way of a dual carriageway the jam is on)

In the UK, TMC info is broadcast on the RDS carrier of Classic FM - the COMAND system has two tuners in, and presumably when you have navigation on, one is receiving RDS from Classic FM, and the other is what you are listening to.

COMAND also supports something called TCS, which is a chargeable service (available in Germany), that uses the car's integrated phone to dial up for the same sort of information.

I think this stuff is called "Star Guide" on US COMAND systems

R
Old 05-20-2003, 03:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hi richard, let us know how you get on with, i see visit to their web site ))

cheers

kenny
Old 05-20-2003, 05:11 PM

CLK 320 Avantgarde
About time they brought it out.

Hi,

Let us know if it works.

Many Thanks

N

Those people at Teleatlas are clueless, they sent me an email today saying:

Dear Mr N,

In answer to the question of TMC indeed it is not currently
available on our CD however this will be one of the features on our new
CD which is expected to be released in the next couple of months.

Should you require further assistance please do not hesitate to contact
us.

Kind Regards

Teleatlas
Old 05-20-2003, 05:22 PM

Mercedes C270 CDI Est
Richard. Where did you get the disk from. I bought the 2003 maps last week from Teleatlas but no Codes.
Old 05-20-2003, 05:26 PM

CLK 320 Avantgarde
I have the same as you without the guide, he said that the one we have doesn't have it, but the one with the guide does. Return it for the Michellin guide one if you can.

N
Old 05-20-2003, 05:30 PM

Mercedes C270 CDI Est
Richard Any chance of a copy as ive just spent £109 on the other. i Will pay
Old 05-20-2003, 05:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by connectcctv
Richard. Where did you get the disk from. I bought the 2003 maps last week from Teleatlas but no Codes.
From Teleatlas. The disk is the
2003 DX *WITH* Michelin

The 2003DX *without* Michelin (ie, same as you get with the car/ from a MB dealer) does not have TMC codes on it.

Its only just been released - a week ago (when I phoned) it wasnt, but the sales person (Etienne, whose english wasnt that great, so it took a while, but he is excellent) called me back late last week, and repeately called till he got me at 7:45 yesterday, so I paid and it turned up today !

I presume they will be adding TMC codes to the normal 2003DX release , or doing a 2003/2004DX release with it ..

Ive got a long trip to Devon this weekend, I'll put the disk in my wife's car and report back as to how it works - given its a public holiday, there should be lots of traffic chaos :-(

Richard
Old 05-20-2003, 05:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Richard Any chance of a copy as ive just spent £109 on the other. i Will pay
Sorry, I dont copy disks. I will break your heart/wallet though - its only £116.88 direct from Teleatlas

teleatlas navshop phone number is 0208 230 31 88 - its part nr.description seems to be

"1008691"
"TAT Gr. Britain/Belf 03 DX/M7 Mich (AM)"

£92.77 + Vat

R
Old 05-27-2003, 01:35 PM
db1
Almost a Member!

Hi,

What was the result using the TMC COMAND disk. I actually have another one for Greater London that has TMC codes on it, but when I tried it it said no TMC stations available.

I would be very interested if this one works.

thanks

DB1
Old 05-27-2003, 04:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Ok, good and bad news

Plugged in new CD, turned on CD (NAV, Settings, traffic info source)

Now, I once i enter a destination, I can select "fastest, shortest, and dynamic"

If I select dynamic, it tunes the FM to Classic FM (telling you so), and goes into dynamic nav mode. On the bottom of the scale marker, there is a red "TMC" symbol.

If you tune away from classic FM, it warns you ,and TMC symbol goes - put it back on classic FM and TMC re-appears - so I guess thats telling me there is a TMC station.

Bad news:-
However, it didnt re-route me on my 2 long journeys recently - but the traffic wasnt that bad.

Also, if you hit the 'i' (info) button at anytime (even in nav mode), then theres a "TMC" menu, clicking it seems to always say
"No Traffic info received"

It, may of course mean that there was no traffic reports for around where I was driving

R
Old 05-27-2003, 04:41 PM

Mercedes C270 CDI Est
So are Classic FM transmitting the traffic Info
Old 05-27-2003, 04:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

So are Classic FM transmitting the traffic Info
According to a URL posted to the previous TMC thread, they are meant to be ..

https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...threadid=26673

They are certainly sending the "I send TMC info" marker out

R

Last edited by Richard; 05-27-2003 at 04:57 PM.
Old 05-27-2003, 05:26 PM

Mercedes C270 CDI Est
so did you get any up dates today
Old 05-27-2003, 05:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Nope. Ive tried it various times, and theres never any traffic info.

Ive read thru the web site mentioned, and discovered that there should be a continuous flow of traffic info.

Ive also discovered, that they expect to licence the TMC to the auto-manafacturers, so I guess there might be something on the map disk that turns of TMC reception on the COMAND system (but leaves it OK on other licenced systems?)

Grasping at straws at the moment ...

R
Old 05-27-2003, 06:07 PM

CLK 320 Avantgarde
There is another disk coming out soon.

The 2003/2004 Michelin CD for GB is coming out in middle of June (from their web site). Just wait for that. I am.

Also keep an eye on ITIS, as Mercedes need to get a licence from them in order for it to work on the Comand system (as Toyota, Vauxhall, and BMW have).

N
Old 05-27-2003, 06:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Re: There is another disk coming out soon.

Id be stunned if this came out in June, given that they only did the 2003DX issue in late May - I would imagine thats what they are releasing to everyone openly (apart from early orders) in June

Ive worked for s/w companies before, and they dont do releases that close together [especially as Teleatlas normally only do 1 per year for UK, and 2 per year in other parts of europe, maximum.
- unless its a tiny change (bugfix) ...

If they do replace May issue in June, I will be having words with them :-)

Meanwhile, in order for TMC to work on one DX system, and not on another, there must be something on the disk that stops it from working ... now Im interested in finding out what

Cheers
R

Originally posted by barflux
The 2003/2004 Michelin CD for GB is coming out in middle of June (from their web site). Just wait for that. I am.

Also keep an eye on ITIS, as Mercedes need to get a licence from them in order for it to work on the Comand system (as Toyota, Vauxhall, and BMW have).

N
Old 05-28-2003, 03:12 PM

E430
I've used TMC on a German DX disc on my COMAND and the initial set-up was just as you described-ending up with the red TMC logo on bottom left.

With a route selected and going into the "info" button on one occasion I did get a stream of hold-up info, but for the rest of the journey there was nothing showing under "info" and it did not re-route me.

I also noticed that it did not warn me of temporary hold-ups/slow downs in traffic due to sheer weight of cars etc. So presumeably it will only re-route for major delays/road works etc (which I think were listed, if they are on your route).

I suggest you look up the RAC website for traffic delays caused by roadworks on a major motorway and then dial a route in which will take you on that motorway and see if the traffic info shows up.

(don't get me wrong I'm not suggesting DRIVING the route, just looking under info to see if it picks up the data)

P.S. has it got the London congestion charge marked as well?
Old 06-05-2003, 09:31 AM

CLK 55 AMG
I bought the 03 UK CD w/Michelin just before this thread started. I too have all the menu options, but haven't been able to get any TMC data to show during dynamic routing. I emailed TeleAtlas to ask if the COMAND isn't enabled to receive the data, or if it only activates dynamic routing in the case of serious problems (closure of motorway, etc).

I got the following response:
"In response to your email dated the 03/06/2003 unfortunately the TMC data is not fully available in the UK due to the signaling. Your system is compatible however."

Not feeling particularly enlightened I followed-up to try to clarify, and got the following...
"the systems may well be compatible however although the ClassicFM signals have been available for sometime although limited the ITIS ones are not so freely available. Our next CD will be compatible although as I said earlier the workings will depend on the companies responsible for the signals. So in short the system and the disc will be compatible but this doesn't mean it will be freely available."

That's much clearer.

Ian
Old 08-26-2003, 11:55 AM

maybe a dumb question, but I assume nothing has changed on the TMC front since May?

** Just spoke to ITIS **

Apparently, it isn't Mercedes that needs to sign a contract with ITIS, its TeleAtlas. The contract is needed so that ITIS supply the TMC codes. They're gonna come back to me with more feedback tomorrow, but the guy I spoke said that if TMC was active, and if the unit locked on to Classic, then it should be receiving TMC data.

He also said that there were 40-100 active transmissions at any time in the London area.

Anyway, will update as soon as I get more info.

Last edited by Scaramanga; 08-26-2003 at 12:40 PM.
Old 08-29-2003, 11:56 AM

Just had the final update from ITIS. Apparently Mercedes are in the process of signing contracts with ITIS, and a new disc will be available soon.

Very confusing, because TeleAtlas already have a contract with them (which is why the TMC Codes are in the 2003 Update disc).

Maybe we'll have to buy another version of the disc, and then TMC should be 100% functional.
Old 09-23-2004, 07:05 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Scaramanga
Just had the final update from ITIS. Apparently Mercedes are in the process of signing contracts with ITIS, and a new disc will be available soon.
I contacted ITIS and they told me that they would not discuss their relationship with any manufacturer who is not a customer and that this included Mercedes Benz.

MB have been saying that they have been in discussion for over a year, so I think it's about time we let MB know we want this resolved ASAP. If you want to register your dissatisfaction send an email to: customerservice.uk@mbcac.mercedes-benz.com demanding that UK owners of Mercedes Benz Comand Navigation Systems be provided with TMC support just like owners on the continent.
Old 04-07-2005, 03:56 AM

sl55 2002
Just got a new COMAND radio fitted to my SL55 under warranty and the new disk still doesn't have TMC working....anyone know what the situation is?

TIA

P
Old 04-07-2005, 10:07 AM

2013 w204 C350
Originally Posted by pauld
Just got a new COMAND radio fitted to my SL55 under warranty and the new disk still doesn't have TMC working....anyone know what the situation is?

TIA

P

Maybe you should read the last 3 pages before asking stupid questions.

fazooley
2006 CLS500
Old 04-07-2005, 10:59 AM

sl55 2002
Doh....

I wish I'd thought of that....but as the last posting on this thread is 6 months old the situation could well have changed (especially given the Jan 05 announcement) there could well have been further information available.

Thanks for your valuable and helpful response..it's certainly in keeping with you being a d*ck!!

P