S55 AMG, S65 AMG , S63 AMG (W220, W221) 2001 - 2013 (Two Generations)

Paddles in S65????

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-22-2006, 03:32 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I see. That's terrible news.

Either way, I'll contact Brabus and will post any details that I get from there on here for anyone else who is interested.

Thanks!
Old 07-31-2006, 01:40 AM
Almost a Member!

The word from Brabus USA and CEC (both of which were extremely helpful and responded to my inquiries promptly and thoroughly) is...

The steering wheel is one of Brabus' signature items, and is a special order item as well. The S65 AMG version is not ready yet, and they have just started rolling out the S550 ones. The S65 AMG version should be available soon. The expected price is roughly $2500, but further details will be available shortly. The order will be placed in Germany and the build time is approx. 10 - 12 weeks (anticipated, not official yet).
Old 07-31-2006, 02:13 AM
Almost a Member!

OK what? Why does the 2007 E63 AMG have paddles and the 2007 S65 AMG not?

Scroll to middle of thread below for pics:

https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/156946-2007-e63-arrived.html

What is wrong with MB? *sigh*
Old 08-02-2006, 05:36 AM

Arrow

The s65 will have paddles, you can take a look at http://www.jesdc.de/news/news/pics/s65b6.jpg

Info taken from jesmb.de

Greetz from belgium
Old 08-02-2006, 07:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 378 Likes on 244 Posts
'22 Alpina B7,'21 G63 Renntech obviously (wife), Wrangler(kids)
Originally Posted by stekki
The s65 will have paddles, you can take a look at http://www.jesdc.de/news/news/pics/s65b6.jpg

Info taken from jesmb.de

Greetz from belgium
Well,there are dozens already delivered here and none of them has paddles.
The MBUSA website also shows a pic of the S65 with paddles,yet real cars have only these stupid buttons.
Old 08-02-2006, 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by absent
Well,there are dozens already delivered here and none of them has paddles.
The MBUSA website also shows a pic of the S65 with paddles,yet real cars have only these stupid buttons.

Well here in europe they come with paddles, strange.

Greetzz
Old 08-02-2006, 10:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 378 Likes on 244 Posts
'22 Alpina B7,'21 G63 Renntech obviously (wife), Wrangler(kids)
Originally Posted by stekki
Well here in europe they come with paddles, strange.

Greetzz
Again (like many other things before),for some stupid,unfathomable reason,MBUSA decided we didn't need paddles in S65 ,just in E and CLS63.
Old 08-02-2006, 12:07 PM

Ford
Actualy I think mbusa rushed this car to market. I too turned my ordered car down, not only for not having paddles but also no amg floormats?! The floor mats were not even mentioned on the window sticker. May be the 2nd batch of cars will be correct.
Old 08-02-2006, 01:04 PM
WSH
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2010 CL65
Told my dealer that I (and several other pals who are repeat 55/65 buyers w/CL/S63/65 on order) would pass on any 63/65 with wood/leath steering wheel and lacking paddles...

Dealer passed along my views to MBUSA and was assured S63 will have leather steering wheel and paddles....but no launch timing provided...

But given all the official pics of CL63 floating around....and how much more profitable 63s are than 550s, I suspect CL63/S63 will hit US by Dec/Jan....
Old 08-02-2006, 03:47 PM
Almost a Member!

Honestly, though, if the S63 has paddles and the S65 continues to ship without paddles, that'd be idiotic on MBUSA's part.

Sure, we can get them from Brabus, but why? It's something that should be standard on a $180k car, especially when $90k cars are getting it (E63). The only reason we should ever have to get the Brabus steering wheel is if we *wanted* to, not because we're forced to get it since the MBUSA version has the stupid buttons.

Last edited by sithlordabe; 08-02-2006 at 09:59 PM.
Old 08-02-2006, 09:02 PM
WSH
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 CL65
Originally Posted by sithlordabe
Honestly, though, if the S63 has paddles and the S65 continues to ship without paddles, that'd be idiotic on MBUSA's part.

Sure, we can get them from Brabus, but why? It's something that should be standard on a $180k car, especially when $90k cars are getting it (E63). The only reason we should ever have to get the Brabus steering wheel is if we *wanted* to, not because we're forced to get it since the MB version has the stupid buttons.
Totally agree....only logic is MB thinks/hopes S65 is heavily sold into NYC mkt as an intra-Manhattan limo....but the flaw w/that logic is that most guys using S-Class as a limo would simply get $50K cheaper S600....also has better-grade leather and V12 badges for ego value in NYC stop-and-go traffic....but remains perplexing why S63 will get paddles and leather steering wheel....

Let's just hope they program CL63/65 w/driver-focused ABC, steering feel, and SpeedShift paddle shifters, rather than some 2-door limo nonsense....

'07 SL65/55 has paddles and leather steering wheel, but can't get over how ancient the SL's interior finishes/ergonomics/infotainment/airbag systems/headlight systems, etc are vs new-gen S/CL.....
Old 08-02-2006, 09:57 PM
Almost a Member!

Indeed, WSH, I couldn't agree more and I definitely share your feelings towards the '07 SL.

I know it'll probably have no effect, but I'm going to write a (snail mail) letter to MBUSA. I've got their mailing address from MBUSA.com, but is there anyone else that I can write to directly? You can PM me privately if you prefer.

I will, of course, post any results or return correspondence that I get, for everyone's benefit.
Old 08-02-2006, 10:17 PM

Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts
BMW M850i Gran Coupe
Originally Posted by WSH
'07 SL65/55 has paddles and leather steering wheel, but can't get over how ancient the SL's interior finishes/ergonomics/infotainment/airbag systems/headlight systems, etc are vs new-gen S/CL.....
Right on target! I was going to try an SL while I spent time developing an affinity for the new S, but after a few hours in the new SL, I was amazed how dated the car seemed. I just ordered the new CL and feel comfortable that I made the right decision.
Old 08-04-2006, 12:53 AM

SL
Originally Posted by MBZFAN55
Right on target! I was going to try an SL while I spent time developing an affinity for the new S, but after a few hours in the new SL, I was amazed how dated the car seemed. I just ordered the new CL and feel comfortable that I made the right decision.
CL63?
Old 08-04-2006, 06:17 PM

BMW 535 Sport
Cool Paddles in S65?

Originally Posted by absent
Just looked at '07 S65 at Autohaus in Northbrook and was shocked to see it had the same stupid shift buttons on the back of the wheel.
What happened to the paddles???
Official pics on MBUSA site show them prominently.
What's up????
In Europe, if you want the paddles you will have to stick with the standard all leather steering wheel. Because, once you choose the extra-cost wood trim/leather wheel (even if designo trim wood) you loose the paddles. Must be something to do with the steering column.

Hope I've thrown some light on the issue.
Old 08-04-2006, 08:01 PM
Almost a Member!

Originally Posted by isaacu
In Europe, if you want the paddles you will have to stick with the standard all leather steering wheel. Because, once you choose the extra-cost wood trim/leather wheel (even if designo trim wood) you loose the paddles. Must be something to do with the steering column.

Hope I've thrown some light on the issue.
I see. You definitely do offer some insight into it. I wish MBUSA was reading this thread... I'd give up the wood trim wheel for paddles any day. I actually hate wood trim on a steering wheel - doesn't give me the sporty tactile feel I enjoy.
Old 08-07-2006, 06:37 AM

BMW 535 Sport
Cool

Originally Posted by prsmith777
Problem is... this photo is also on MBUSA for 2007 S65. Something is not right here. You can definitely see the paddles on this pic.

Sir, wooden trim in your picture has almost certainly been "air-brushed" in!

European price list:
Code 289 - Wood/leather steering wheel - S65: discontinuation (read: "cannot have") of AMG sports steering wheel with silver-coloured aluminium shift paddles.

You can have the wood/leather combo but you wont retain the paddles. Surely we are allowed 'to have our cake and eat it'? What is MB going to do about this?

Hope this helps.

Isaacu

Last edited by isaacu; 08-07-2006 at 06:42 AM. Reason: Spelling error
Old 08-16-2006, 07:41 AM
GMW

2013 ML63 AMG PP
Oh yes!

Originally Posted by isaacu
Sir, wooden trim in your picture has almost certainly been "air-brushed" in!

European price list:
Code 289 - Wood/leather steering wheel - S65: discontinuation (read: "cannot have") of AMG sports steering wheel with silver-coloured aluminium shift paddles.

You can have the wood/leather combo but you wont retain the paddles. Surely we are allowed 'to have our cake and eat it'? What is MB going to do about this?

Hope this helps.

Isaacu
You are correct! In the European pricelist if you choose code 289 (Wood/leather steering wheel) then there is a note for the S65 saying Discontinuation of AMG sports steering wheel with silver-coloured aluminium shift paddles!

Therefore, it appears that whoever chose the specifications for these initial orders decided that they wanted wood/leather steering wheels and possibly didn't know that they would lose the AMG sports steering wheel with the aluminium paddles.

By the way the AMG sports steering wheel is only available in leather, not wood/leather, and it is the standard fitment for S65s. Another difference with the wood/leather steering wheel is that the AMG one doesn't have the leather stitched airbag section.
Attached Thumbnails Paddles in S65????-s65-amg-sports-steering-wheel.jpg   Paddles in S65????-s65-amg-sports-steering-wheel-2.jpg  
Old 08-16-2006, 04:40 PM
Almost a Member!

Originally Posted by GMW
You are correct! In the European pricelist if you choose code 289 (Wood/leather steering wheel) then there is a note for the S65 saying Discontinuation of AMG sports steering wheel with silver-coloured aluminium shift paddles!

Therefore, it appears that whoever chose the specifications for these initial orders decided that they wanted wood/leather steering wheels and possibly didn't know that they would lose the AMG sports steering wheel with the aluminium paddles.

By the way the AMG sports steering wheel is only available in leather, not wood/leather, and it is the standard fitment for S65s. Another difference with the wood/leather steering wheel is that the AMG one doesn't have the leather stitched airbag section.
The unfortunate part is that on MBUSA.com, you can't select the leather AMG sports steering wheel. It defaults to the wood/leather steering wheel and has no option to deselect it.

I'm still baffled that MBUSA would allow their flagship car to be sold like that, while E63 and CLS63 owners are happily enjoying their paddles.
Old 08-16-2006, 05:13 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2007 E63
Originally Posted by GMW

I thought that second pic looked PS'd. The steering wheel wood doesn't match up with the rest of the interior wood. It's matte vs. polished.

So which pic is the right one?
Old 08-16-2006, 07:45 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2007 E63
From what I've read, no paddle shifters, at least with the wood steering wheel. I think. I may have read the info wrong.
Old 08-17-2006, 02:51 AM
Almost a Member!

Originally Posted by AsianML
From what I've read, no paddle shifters, at least with the wood steering wheel. I think. I may have read the info wrong.
That's right. The issue I have is that MBUSA doesn't give us the option for the leather-only AMG sport steering wheel (that happens to include paddles).
Old 08-17-2006, 04:49 AM
ON PROBATION

I have nothing but issues with MBUSA --

That's why I have to pay out the exhaust valve to get my USA AMG MBZ's done-up right (you could say 'corrected' as easily as 'modified' in this instance) at AMG in Germany, post-ordered here in the USA, before bringing them home here to the States for use .

MBUSA sucks.
Old 08-17-2006, 06:44 AM
GMW

2013 ML63 AMG PP
correct

Originally Posted by AsianML

That is correct! The Wood/leather steering wheel does not have the aluminium shift paddles! Has anyone asked their dealer to talk to MBUSA and get an S65 ordered without the wood/leather steering wheel? That way they get the standard AMG sports steering wheel with the paddles!
Old 10-29-2006, 01:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
07 E63 06 CLK55 Cab 03 P-car C4S
steering wheel

is it my imagination, or have the MB steering wheels gotten uglier and uglier the past few yrs. even the new ones above look pretty darn ugly to me. i think the 2 bottom spokes remind me of the same shapes that chrysler uses in their $25k sedans. i don't care if chrysler benefits from MB stuff, but MB should not be taking styling cues from chrysler.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Paddles in S65????