Sponsored by:

Help!!!we Are All About To Lose $$$$$

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-26-2007, 02:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 E55
Help!!!we Are All About To Lose $$$$$

Got this warning yesterday ..."SOS tele aid ends soon for questions press i". Took it to dealer because it flashes up every 30 seconds. I tried pressing i and it would begin to connect and drop the connection. Eventually connected four times to tele aid and it dropped the connection each time while we were talking. Dealer says the deal is tele aid switched from analog to digital and it costs 1100 to upgrade. NEWS FLASH, YOU CANNOT JUST DROP THE SERVICE, FLASHING WILL CONTINUE EVERY 30 SECONDS TILL I SHELL OUT THE BUCKS. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

READ BELOW

Tele Aid Digital Transition FAQs AN IMPORTANT NOTE ABOUT ANALOG TELE AID

The U.S. Federal Communications Commission (FCC) ruled in November 2002 that wireless carriers will no longer be required to support the analog wireless network as of January 2008. Regulations permit wireless carriers to begin degrading or eliminating analog service in anticipation of this date. Wireless carriers in Canada have also begun the shift from analog to digital technology. Thus the Tele Aid service will only be available for systems employing dual-mode (digital/analog) technology after January 1, 2008.

Tele Aid utilizes cellular telephone networks and satellite technologies as well as emergency service providers to provide in-vehicle information, Roadside Assistance, and emergency services. The initial deployment of Tele Aid in 1999 used the analog cellular network to ensure the broadest geographic coverage in the U.S. and Canada at that time. However, U.S. and Canadian wireless carriers have begun to shift from analog to digital networks and so will Tele Aid.

In general, this transition affects analog Tele Aid equipment installed in Mercedes-Benz Model Year 2000 to 2004 vehicles, Model Year 2005 M-Class vehicles, G-Class and Maybach vehicles up to Model Year 2006, and all SLR vehicles.

Mercedes-Benz is currently contacting affected subscribers with more information.

Why do early Tele Aid systems utilize analog equipment?

When Mercedes-Benz introduced Tele Aid service in 1999 (Model Year 2000), analog was the most well-established wireless service available and provided the widest coverage in the nation. As technology changed, Mercedes-Benz moved to implement digital/analog dual-mode Tele Aid units as quickly as possible.
Why did Mercedes-Benz use analog units in some Model Year 2005 and 2006 vehicles?

Mercedes-Benz did its utmost to develop a digital solution as soon as the analog phase-out was communicated. However, some model lines required extensive changes and therefore even though the development and incorporation was done as promptly as possible, it took as late as Model Year 2006 for some limited production models.
Will my analog Tele Aid still provide service after January 1, 2008?

No. The unit will function but no longer have a network to support it. Beginning January 1, 2008, Tele Aid will be accessible only through equipment that has the ability to operate on a digital cellular network (i.e. dual-mode equipment).
Is it possible to get a Tele Aid subscription after the analog-to-digital transition date?

Yes. It will be possible to subscribe to Tele Aid service if your vehicle is outfitted with equipment that has the ability to operate on a digital cellular network (i.e. dual-mode equipment). Mercedes-Benz began installing this on most Model Year 2005 and later vehicles. If your vehicle is equipped with analog Tele Aid and is newer than Model Year 2001, Mercedes-Benz is offering a retrofit equipment upgrade that will allow your Tele Aid to access the digital network and continue service beyond the transition (see below). In general Model Year 2000 vehicles will not be upgradeable; however, there are limited exceptions so please see your Mercedes-Benz Dealer to find out if your vehicle can be upgraded.
Will Mercedes-Benz offer any special programs for affected subscribers with analog-only Tele Aid systems?

Yes! As a result of this industry-wide changeover, Mercedes-Benz has developed the industry's most comprehensive analog-to-digital transition, offered well in advance of 2008 to provide our analog customers with uninterrupted Tele Aid service. If your vehicle is Model Year 2001 or newer, and equipped with analog Tele Aid hardware, Mercedes-Benz is offering an analog-to-digital equipment upgrade that will allow your Tele Aid to access the digital network. You can purchase the upgrade and have it installed in your vehicle at your Preferred Mercedes-Benz Dealer. In general, Model Year 2000 vehicles will not be upgradeable; however, there are limited exceptions so please see your Mercedes-Benz Dealer to find out if your vehicle can be upgraded.
What does an analog-to-digital upgrade cost?

You should contact your preferred, authorized Mercedes-Benz Dealer for information about packages and pricing. Prices differ by vehicle model and Model Year and may vary by dealer. Installation charges are in addition to the prices for equipment and service packages.
Why is this upgrade not covered under warranty?

The upgrade is not covered under warranty because the Tele Aid unit is not defective. It works properly with an analog signal, which was still the most prevalent wireless signal available at the time of the vehicle's design. The phase- out of the signal is not an issue that is within the control or the responsibility of Mercedes-Benz.
How does the transition to the digital network affect me right now?

Analog-based Tele Aid service will only be supported through December 31, 2007. Some wireless carriers have already begun degrading their analog coverage in favor of the digital network, and analog Tele Aid coverage will be similarly reduced. Therefore as of November 1, 2006 we are no longer accepting NEW analog Tele Aid subscriptions. We are strongly urging eligible analog subscribers to upgrade as soon as possible. Options available to the various Tele Aid customers are:

Customers purchasing a NEW Tele Aid-equipped vehicle: Your vehicle is already equipped with a digital Tele Aid.
Customers purchasing a PRE-OWNED vehicle: Purchasers of Pre-Owned vehicles equipped with analog Tele Aid must have the digital upgrade unit installed in order to receive Tele Aid service.
CURRENT analog Tele Aid Subscribers: Current analog subscribers are being contacted as their renewal date draws near and will be able to extend their analog subscription only until December 31, 2007. Additionally, current subscribers must renew their analog subscriptions by June 30, 2007. After that date, analog renewals will no longer be accepted.
What are the different types of equipment on Tele Aid-equipped vehicles?

Tele Aid-equipped vehicles will have one of three types of equipment:

Analog only:
All Model Year 2000 through Model Year 2004 vehicles and some Model Year 2005 and 2006 vehicles are equipped with analog-only equipment. The U.S. analog wireless carriers are obligated to provide service up until January 1, 2008, but some degradation in service in anticipation of the transition date can be expected. Canadian wireless carriers have indicated that they will follow the U.S. transition plan. As of January 1, 2008, Tele Aid-equipped vehicles with analog-only equipment will no longer have Tele Aid service.
Digital/Analog (dual mode):
Most Model Year 2005 and 2006, and all Model Year 2007 Tele Aid-equipped vehicles feature dual-mode (digital/analog) equipment, which will be unaffected by the digital transition.
Analog-to-digital upgrade:
If your vehicle is Model Year 2001 or newer and equipped with analog Tele Aid hardware, Mercedes-Benz is offering for purchase an analog-to-digital equipment upgrade that will allow your Tele Aid system to access the digital network and continue to provide this important service.
Unfortunately, Model Year 2000 Tele Aid-equipped vehicles cannot be upgraded.
How will I know what kind of equipment is in my vehicle?

If you are an active Tele Aid subscriber, Mercedes-Benz will contact you and inform you about your personal options. Additionally, you can contact your Preferred Mercedes-Benz Dealer or call the Mercedes-Benz USA Customer Assistance Center at, 1-800-FOR-MERCEDES (1-800-367-6372).

Last edited by AmenMercedesGo; 05-26-2007 at 02:22 PM.
Old 05-27-2007, 10:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLS55
i don't have teleaid and never see the flash.
Old 05-27-2007, 10:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
E-ZGO 53hp., 1999 E 430 sport, 2004 E 55, 2008 Tahoe LTZ on 24"s
Agree they way overcharge

Agree they way overcharge, after all it is a celphone.
$1100 total ripoff.
Old 05-27-2007, 10:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

20+ to list......
Can't you pull the fuse for teleaid? That should solve the problem.
Old 05-27-2007, 11:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
300ce
.........the dealers claim that tele aid is a safety equipment in your car and they are not supposed to turn it off. Take your car to an indy shop with STAR and they'll turn it off. This problem also comes up when the free tele aid service one gets with their new car purchase expires. The dealers then require you to renew or live with the error message.

Ted
Old 06-02-2007, 12:17 AM

2005 E55
thanks ted i'll keep u posted on my success.
Old 06-02-2007, 04:09 PM

K3 05 E55 sold, 09 GL550
renew tele aid

I just renewed the Tele Aid for my E a month ago , cost me $280 for a year
Old 06-04-2007, 05:45 AM

2005 E55
That tele-aid malfunctioning message was very annoying. Steve @ MBenzNL disabled the message for me using STAR
Old 06-04-2007, 08:23 PM

2005 E55
thank you for the info!
Old 06-04-2007, 08:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 335 vert, 2004 MDX
Amen - Do you have the analog unit? My 2005 E55 Teleaid started flashing just like you describe last fall. They replaced the microphone twice and nothing changed. The replaced the Teleaid unit last month and now it works fine. If MB isn't cutting analog off until 1/1/08, why are you experiencing the problem now? Maybe the unit is bad.
Old 06-10-2007, 11:00 PM

2005 E55
Damn, turns out my 2005 E55 already had digital Teleaid equipment. Techs' don't know their stuff. Somehow they reset it and I was on my way without spending a dime. And they had already talked me into spending $600.00! for new hardware. At least they were honest about their mistake.
Old 06-10-2007, 11:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 335 vert, 2004 MDX
Whew, that's better!
Old 08-13-2007, 09:30 PM

E55
Regardless of what Mercedes Benz says, they should make the changeover much cheaper. It is just a cell phone and they are morally responsible. They sold us somehting that now does not work. We need ot remember this when we buy our next car.
Old 09-09-2007, 11:57 AM

S500
I had to spend several hundred dollars a few months ago to upgrade my 2002 Mercedes S500's analog internal phone system to a digital. Actually, the dealership tried to charge/gouge me around $1,500 for this service by telling me that I would have to replace the wiring inside my car. I found out through self research on the internet that all I needed to buy from this same dealership was a $350 puck that would receive my phone's bluetooth signal. The dealership never shared this information with me, even though they had the puck in their inventory! Now I receive a mailing stating that my Tele-Aid system is also about to become defunct! My local Mercedes dealer would again like to gouge me for almost $700 in parts, plus $300 for the installation! Instead of taking care of their customers, Mercedes Benz is instead trying to capitalize from a bad situation in which they were the cause by knowingly allowing outdated equipment to be installed in their newer model vehicles. None of this seems legal to me.. I did a google seach tonight on the subject and found that same CA lawyer that is conducting a class action law suit. I signed up and am anxious to hear what he has to say about all this.
Old 09-09-2007, 08:32 PM

E55
RonS500, Can you post the url for the lawyer doing the class action?

Would also appreciate knowing more about this puck. Suppose I do not have phone service in my car. With this puck can my TREO work through car speakers, can I see addresses, etc.?
Old 09-09-2007, 11:59 PM

2005 E55 Black
Cost of this upgrade to digital is $1200 or you can take another ECU reflash and donation of another 20 rwhp for a 50% discount!
Old 09-14-2007, 10:47 PM

S500
The CA lawyer called me today at my business and wanted my input. She said that they are compiling information to proceed with this case. They know that the Tele Aid system will be cut off shortly and realize that they will have to make the case happen soon in order to help their clients. She requested that I fax a copy of my letter from Tele Aid for them to review. It sounds as if they are gong to be aggressive with this litigation. I suggest that everyone get on board and provide this law firm with as much information as possible. If not, we may all be left in the dark with only a steady lit error message on our dashboards as the light to lead us to our local Mercedes dealer for a proper reaming!

http://www.finkelsteinthompson.com/i...estigation.php
Old 02-17-2008, 09:46 PM

GL 320 CDI 2007
tele aid antenna location

Do you know were is Tele Aid /GPS antenna located in GL 320 CDI -2007? Thank you
Old 02-17-2008, 09:50 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
Originally Posted by TELE AID
Do you know were is Tele Aid /GPS antenna located in GL 320 CDI -2007? Thank you
It is under the roof panel. You joined this board for that?
Old 02-17-2008, 10:02 PM

C 240 4-Matic
tele-aid

I was told that MB tele-aid is actually GM On-Star. Just contracted out as they (MB) owned it. Might be interesting to see if On-Star customers are having the same issue. I guess I can't remember where I read that though, so it may not be true, but I doubt I was the only person that saw that.

I just checked, On-Star is having the same issues. Have a search on google.