MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   S55 AMG, S65 AMG , S63 AMG (W220, W221) (https://mbworld.org/forums/s55-amg-s65-amg-s63-amg-w220-w221-52/)
-   -   Paddles in S65???? (https://mbworld.org/forums/s55-amg-s65-amg-s63-amg-w220-w221/155484-paddles-s65.html)

absent 07-15-2006 07:15 PM

Paddles in S65????

Just looked at '07 S65 at Autohaus in Northbrook and was shocked to see it had the same stupid shift buttons on the back of the wheel.
What happened to the paddles???
Official pics on MBUSA site show them prominently.
What's up????:confused:

andytsai996 07-15-2006 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by absent
Just looked at '07 S65 at Autohaus in Northbrook and was shocked to see it had the same stupid shift buttons on the back of the wheel.

correct me if wrong, I think you need the 030 performance package to get teh peddles.

absent 07-15-2006 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by andytsai996
correct me if wrong, I think you need the 030 performance package to get teh peddles.

No such package for the S/CL/SL65....

jsloan01 07-16-2006 02:03 PM

i thought all the new amg's going forward will have the paddles. :nix:

WSH 07-16-2006 05:58 PM

No paddles and also wood and leather steering wheel, unlike what's shown on website....seems MB mkg is positioning S65 as ultimately just another limo that costs ?$40K more than a rather similar S600....would suspect that S65 has also been "detuned" in terms of throttle tip-in, brake pedal feel, ABC set-up and shift speeds to create a lethargic 600-like feel for the limo crowd...

Let's see if CL65 also goes for the wannabe 2-dr limo approach....will be really confusing as CL600 will have optional AMG body kit avail....

SL65 is being positioned as the only 997TT/599 driving feel competitor.....but it's saddled w/antiquated infotainment systems vs new-gen S/CL....

Interesting that, w/$7K+ off avail on new '07 SL65s and rather cheap lease terms from MB Credit, a new '07 SL65 isn't much more costly than a $150K SL55 w/PP (and w/a soon-to-be obsolete motor).....

MB seems confused re: how to market/price/position the 65s generally....

WSH 07-16-2006 06:22 PM

Another thought is paddles/buttons are prob ultimately just a marketing gimmick anyway on any high-torque car w/today's fast processors and software interactions btwn tranny/stab ctrl/brakes, etc etc...

Even on 997TT Tip (P buys the tranny from MB and writes its own software for tranny and links it into eAWD, PTM, PSM, etc), various competent amateur drivers admit they are faster/more stable drivers by letting tranny work in auto mode, w/o any destabilizing human input on gear selec....only annoying aspect of P's Tip buttons is one can accidentally press button during rapid steering in twisties....

In any case, know several guys getting 997TT Tip, 599 and SL/CL65/63 over next few mths as daily commuter cars; will be interesting to see how these great cars subjectively compare in real world, CA urban fwy 60-100MPH accel, all while one is on a phone call and running late to a mtg....and in wkend twisties driving feel when steering/chassis/brakes/traction become more apparent....

absent 07-16-2006 06:44 PM

I have an order for the CL65 and if it does not have paddles it may be a deal braker for me.
I really like stationary paddles,use them constantly and exclusively in DB (my current daily driver),when buttons are hidden in the back of the wheel and when turning the wheel ,you quickly lose track which is up or down shift.
In my M5 the paddles were attached to the wheel but at least you could see them.
Hated the buttons in the E55, so now CL is the last hope....

transferred 07-16-2006 07:41 PM

I have an order for the CL65 and if it does not have paddles it may be a deal braker for me.
I really like stationary paddles,use them constantly and exclusively in DB (my current daily driver),when buttons are hidden in the back of the wheel and when turning the wheel ,you quickly lose track which is up or down shift.
In my M5 the paddles were attached to the wheel but at least you could see them.

I much prefer paddles attached to the wheel. Just a lot easier when travelling at pace. Tip buttons on a Porsche are pretty good too. When the paddles are stationary you have to take a hand off the wheel unless you have disturbingly long fingers which kind of defeats the point of having them in the first place

WSH 07-16-2006 08:37 PM

I'm hearing CL65 is a Spr07 US launch....and given the S65 bungling, I'm not optimistic re: CL65 being anything more than a more expensive (and delayed launch) CL600 w/AMG body kit....

Am seriously considering getting an '07 SL65....but concerned that having one car w/column-mounted paddles (599) and another w/steering wheel mounted paddles (SL65) could be disorienting.....

Have greatly enjoyed two 996TTS Tips and a 997S Tip in past....and getting a 997TT Tip next mth....but find buttons utterly worthless to use from an ergonomic standpoint....

BTW, absent, am huge fan of Chicago and Lake Forest, but am under impression that there aren't any twisties within 50 mis of Chic/N Shore....am I wrong?

absent 07-16-2006 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by WSH
I'm hearing CL65 is a Spr07 US launch....and given the S65 bungling, I'm not optimistic re: CL65 being anything more than a more expensive (and delayed launch) CL600 w/AMG body kit....

Am seriously considering getting an '07 SL65....but concerned that having one car w/column-mounted paddles (599) and another w/steering wheel mounted paddles (SL65) could be disorienting.....

Have greatly enjoyed two 996TTS Tips and a 997S Tip in past....and getting a 997TT Tip next mth....but find buttons utterly worthless to use from an ergonomic standpoint....

BTW, absent, am huge fan of Chicago and Lake Forest, but am under impression that there aren't any twisties within 50 mis of Chic/N Shore....am I wrong?

The best twisties here are on Sheridan rd from Winnetka to Highland Park(and they are also the best policed ,:wall: too)

transferred 07-16-2006 11:08 PM

The best twisties here are on Sheridan rd from Winnetka to Highland Park(and they are also the best policed ,:wall: too)

You could do with a 997TT to get the best out of roads like that

transferred 07-16-2006 11:09 PM

You could do with a 997TT to get the best out of roads like that

WSH 07-16-2006 11:48 PM

I know that stretch....my condolences.....:(

"Did my time" in NYC....and know several car nuts who, early in their careers, migrated to SF/LA, b/c no matter the car, the lack of interesting high-speed fwys/twisties within 50 mis of Manhattan/Chic and lack of reasonable speed enfcmt (and onerous weather 4-5 mos/yr) makes NYC/Chic fairly unfriendly for car guys....

What's astounding to me as a fmr NYC resident is how many interesting twisties are within 30 mins of SF's fin dt/SilicVy/BevHills and how fast rush hr traffic moves on the SF-SilicVy fwys....the "poor man's version" of Munich....:zoom:

absent 07-17-2006 06:07 AM

Originally Posted by WSH
I know that stretch....my condolences.....:(

"Did my time" in NYC....and know several car nuts who, early in their careers, migrated to SF/LA, b/c no matter the car, the lack of interesting high-speed fwys/twisties within 50 mis of Manhattan/Chic and lack of reasonable speed enfcmt (and onerous weather 4-5 mos/yr) makes NYC/Chic fairly unfriendly for car guys....

What's astounding to me as a fmr NYC resident is how many interesting twisties are within 30 mins of SF's fin dt/SilicVy/BevHills and how fast rush hr traffic moves on the SF-SilicVy fwys....the "poor man's version" of Munich....:zoom:

I do travel to LA and SF several times a year and could only wish to move there,unfortunately because of income I'm confined here.

sithlordabe 07-20-2006 11:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Ugh, I didn't pay attention until this thread.

See attached pic. No paddles! *sigh*

What happenned? I thought paddles were going to be standard (or at least available as an option). Even AMG's website has them in their pics.

sithlordabe 07-20-2006 11:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Another angle...

Definitely no paddles. :(

sithlordabe 07-20-2006 11:43 PM

From MBUSA's website, however:

2007 S65 AMG

Unsurpassed. An astonishing 604-horsepower twin-turbocharged V-12 AMG engine linked to a resilient 5-speed automatic transmission adjusts to your driving style for smoother shifting, F1-inspired manual shifters, AMG-tuned Active Body Control (ABC), race-bred brakes, along with 20 inch AMG 5-spoke light alloy wheels.

http://www.mbusa.com/models/body-sty...ighPerformance

Also:

Transmission AMG-enhanced driver-adaptive electronic 5-speed automatic. Driver-adaptive programming adjusts shift points to the driver's current driving style. Touch Shift allows driver to manually downshift and allows upshifts via shift paddles behind the steering wheel. Driver-selectable Comfort mode starts vehicle moving in 2nd gear or a second Reverse gear, and upshifts at lower rpm, to help improve control on slippery surfaces.

http://www.mbusa.com/models/features...S65&class=07_S

Anyone have a definitive answer for us?

newton22 07-21-2006 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by sithlordabe
Another angle...

Definitely no paddles. :(

Maybe Mercedes refers to paddles as those buttons. :confused:

prsmith777 07-21-2006 12:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Problem is... this photo is also on MBUSA for 2007 S65. Something is not right here. You can definitely see the paddles on this pic.

sithlordabe 07-21-2006 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by newton22
Maybe Mercedes refers to paddles as those buttons. :confused:

Could be, but I honestly doubt they'd make that big of an error in the use of words when marketing a $180k vehicle.

Anyone from MBUSA or a dealer reading this thread... we'd greatly appreciate some official responses. Thanks! :)

CLS_AMG 07-21-2006 07:23 PM

They refered to the shift buttons on the 2006 CLS as paddles also. When i ordered mine i was totally expecting paddles...needless to say i was very disappointed when it arrived.

sithlordabe 07-21-2006 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by CLS_AMG
They refered to the shift buttons on the 2006 CLS as paddles also. When i ordered mine i was totally expecting paddles...needless to say i was very disappointed when it arrived.

Ugh, that is definitely not what I was hoping to hear. :(

How do they explain the S65 pics on the MBUSA website though? That couldn't have been a photoshopped image... I mean, who'd even bother to do such a thing?! :mad:

sithlordabe 07-21-2006 08:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Another pic, you can see the upshift button. *sigh*

I know there are dealers and someone from MBUSA that read this board... can any of you comment on this?

sithlordabe 07-21-2006 08:27 PM

And here's word from someone other than MBUSA:

The sexy CLS four-door and the CLK coupe and cabriolet both get this engine mated to a seven-speed manu-matic transmission, which now features paddle shift levers in place of buttons on the back of the steering wheel.
http://www.caranddriver.com/autoshow...clk63-amg.html

OK, I think I'm done and will wait until we hear officially. :)

JLee81 07-21-2006 10:00 PM

This issue was debated in C55/C32 forum. The manual shifter is not the paddle shift according to AMG. You have to order a new steering wheel with paddle from AMG but you can't do that in USA. Those unique stuff are only to be sold in Europe with TUV certification. You guys could always go to Brabus and get one without much headache. Never trust those promotion pictures. It's never the same. Why don't you all give Brabus a call?