Airmatic Strut Kit Install

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-11-2008, 08:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
02 S500 w220
Airmatic Strut Kit Install

All,

I have been asked for more clarification on the Airmatic kit replacement so hear it goes

I ordered the kit on line from aboveallmotorwerks.com, the part # is 220-320-25-38 the same part number if you try to order through the dealership, just about $30.00 cheaper in some cases at $115.00 apiece vs the dealers $135.00 - 179.00, depending on the dealership. I purchased the tool on ebay from a company called kinetik (auto equiment & tools inc), again the price on this was $85.00. It is called a Mercedes Seal Cap Remover Top Air Suspension Strut Tool. As far as the job it is pretty straight forward.

(Note: This guidance is for general information and is not intended to substitute for informed professional advice, use at your own risk.)

Take and remove the air lines. (car supported, stands or lift, weight off the suspension.) Then tape the air lines ends up, cap the nipple with tape as well. (on the strut cap.)

Now, take a small chisel after the resin in the old cap, both of mine came out and pretty clean solid pieces. Once you have all that cleaned out you take and remove the old nipple. Next you attach the strut tool to the strut tower to press the old caps down far enough to release retaining clip. The cap has to go down roughly 5mm to get the retaining ring out. Once the clip is out the cap will basically spring out on its own.

Clean the hole up, lube the new cap and use your tool to press the new cap down enough to set the new ring. There is a recess in the new cap that the ring has to lock into as well as the groove in the strut cap. You'll get a better visual once you have the old one out.

Once the cap is seated install the new nipple and airline and you are ready to go.

Before lowering the car you need to start the engine to allow the pump to repressurize the strut prior to letting the car all the way down.

The press is pretty simple and lightweight. 3 legs set to match the strut tower studs. Roughly 6" tall. Then the center is a big washer that the legs are welded to and then a 12mm nut is welded in the middle. When setting the tool you’ll see that it fits over the three strut tower bolts. You need to attach the tool one nut at a time to prevent strut from slipping out of place, again this will make more since when you get into the job.

Hope this helps
Old 09-17-2008, 11:42 AM

MB W221 S350
thanx for info, but i would like to see any photos of process because i am planing to do that by my self. today i came back home with "stop car level to low" and the car is on the ground. when i turn on it lifts but if i am driwing very fast it goes down, even a little push down with hand and i hear pshhh from the caps
Old 07-26-2010, 07:04 PM

w220.175 - 2002 S500
additional information link

Originally Posted by NISMAS
thanx for info, but i would like to see any photos of process because i am planing to do that by my self. today i came back home with "stop car level to low" and the car is on the ground. when i turn on it lifts but if i am driwing very fast it goes down, even a little push down with hand and i hear pshhh from the caps

Good information is available at:
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w220...ml#post4255094

and includes documentation for both an epoxy-based fix, and the fix-kit replacing the metal cap.

The above description does not describe in sufficient detail the full fix process, such as the filling of the bellows after applying the epoxy of fix-kit.
Old 10-29-2010, 02:46 PM

2000 S430
I would add emphasis on not airing up struts while tires can touch ground, as the factory instruction says. I failed to do that and have ruined both struts