Differences.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-01-2008, 05:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E320 W210
Differences.

Hello Everyone!

I am looking to buy a post-facelift/sport(amg look) S500. (knock on wood)

I have a few questions that I hope you guys could help me out with.

When it comes to the S class, what year was the best to get this car?

I am looking at cars MY 03 and above.

I have been reading a lot about airmatic suspension problems, something that scares me and confuses me as to which one to get.

I am also looking for the AUX ipod hookup to come in the glovebox. There has been some chatter here about how MB got rid of this feature in some model years???

ANY INPUT IS GREATLY APPRECIATED AS THIS WOULD BE MY FIRST S-CLASS PURCHASE.

THANKS IN ADVANCE

Old 08-01-2008, 09:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
2005 S500 4-Matic, 1978 450SL
The post at http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w220...-look-out.html will give you a pretty good idea on reliability. Bottom line is, the '03 model year saw the beginning of quality improvements, and most of the mechanicals were done by '04. Electronics improvements continued through '05 (which is nearly identical to '06). See http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w220...5-s500-4m.html and especially post #3 at https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...highlight=nano

Regarding an iPod, if you buy an '04 or later (these have MOST-based COMANDs, easily identified because it has a DVD-based navigation system with a reader in the trunk), you can use the Dension Gateway 500 for MOST bus. You will have steering wheel controls, and the text-capable COMAND gives you song titles on the COMAND screen and track info on the instrument cluster. With that, the Dension Gateway 500 is a very useable iPod option. See https://mbworld.org/forums/audio-electronics/194660-gateway-500-most-o-good-unit-poor-documentation.html.

The '03 had an AUX input, but it is the only U.S. specification W220 (S-Class) to have it. See http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w220...tergation.html You only get the analog music feed with the AUX; you get no steering wheel control or readouts from the iPod. Sorting, song selection, and reading song titles must be done on the iPod; but the 3.5mm stereo cable is dirt cheap.

The '03 is the only U.S. W220 that can be fitted with the MB/Apple iPod kit (which provides steering wheel controls, and song titles on the instrument cluster display, but nothing on COMAND) - because the kit requires the AUX jack. Audio is better from the Gateway 500 kit, because it is a direct feed over fiber optics and escapes the compression MB designed into the AUX input.

The '03 has a wide screen COMAND, but is D2B based (it uses CDs for navigation, with the nav CD reader in the COMAND itself) and does not have a text-capable display. A Gateway 500 is available for the '03 and earlier W220s, but you will not get song titles on the COMAND or instrument cluster displays. You get track information, but sorting and selection is best done with the iPod (which the GW 500 will let you do). You can still change tracks and volume with the steering wheel buttons.

The W220 comes with either of two types of suspensions: Airmatic, a pneumatic system; and Active Body Control (ABC), an hydraulic system with additional computer control. Both are complex systems that will require maintenance; both are responsible for the superb ride and handling of the W220. Airmatic systems on earlier cars tended to fail more often than on the '03 and later - the '04s and on are less problematic. However, there is no such thing a a "bulletproof" pneumatic suspension system. Seals and pumps will wear, and struts will have to be replaced. You'd have to do the same thing with standard shocks, too - but Airmatic will be more expensive. The system has been written about a LOT, so I'm going to invite you to read and digest some of what you have already seen - especially in some of the newer posts. Start with post #6 at http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w220...yes-again.html. The best protection is to become familiar with the early signs of airmatic problems, and fix them right away. Letting them go runs the cost up.

ABC systems provide greater roll control and eliminate any "nosedive" even with heavy braking (not that there is much of either with Airmatic). One failure point, subject to inspection and free replacement, has been a high-pressure line from the pump. They are not especially problematic, but like any complex system, they break - and any luxury car is expensive to repair.

Regarding any choices between an S500 and an S430, there was more differentiation in earlier models. S500s through '03 had more standard equipment (and still do), but some equipment on the S500 was simply not available on the S430. That changed in '04, with most of the equipment for the S500 (except, of course, the engine) available for the S430; but more was standard on the S500 than on the S430. Some of the biggest differences in standard equipment were wood trim and the quality of leather. I mention this just in case you come across a good buy on an S430 - which, while having less horsepower, still has a great engine. The S350 version of the W220 was a more recent introduction in the U.S., becoming available only for '05 and '06. It had been available in Europe for much longer. It has less power yet, but is lighter; it was sold only in the "short wheelbase" (SWB) version in the U.S. Some like its styling better than the S500 or S430 (all of which, in U.S. versions, were long wheelbase).

As to "what year is best" - it depends on your own preferences. An '03 or later will be more reliable, and a lower-mileage car in an older model year may be better than a high mileage later model. For electronics and telematics, '04 and later are better for Pod integration (with a 3rd party kit) because of song title readout and sound quality, but the '03 AUX makes adding an iPod cheap - but there is very little "integration" with only the 3.5mm cable; you'll need the the MB iPod kit for that (roughly the same cost as the Gateway 500 kit). Making up for lack of the AUX, the '04 and later models can play DVD audio tracks (but not video in U.S. versions!!!) and mp3 DVDs - you can burn your entire music collection to DVDs and not worry about an iPod if you wish (not my choice, but you can do it). For ease of cell phone integration and flexibility, the '05 and '06 are your clear choice (IF the car already has the handsfree option installed).

If the cars you are interested in do not have phone systems installed, you're really in for some "fun." See http://www.benzworld.org/forums/audi...ades-plug.html (the same info is on MBWorld at the top of the Audio & Electronics forum, but because BenzWorld allows editing for a longer period, the updates are in better sequence - making for an easier read).

And I'll bet you thought it was an easy question....

Last edited by Skylaw; 08-02-2008 at 09:51 AM.
Old 08-01-2008, 07:24 PM

S350 2005
great post Skylaw !
Old 08-03-2008, 03:52 AM

E320 W210
Amazing.
Old 08-03-2008, 09:14 AM
Almost a Member!

2004 S55