S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

Will DVD based MP3 media work in the COMAND?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 01:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
04 S55 AMG
Will DVD based MP3 media work in the COMAND?

I know in my 04 S55 the COMAND works just find with MP3 CDs and plays them just fine. Now I also hear they will read DVDs (if movie they wont display the screen) but I also heard they can read DVD based MP3 media. So if I burned MP3s on a DVD data will it work and has anyone successfully done this?

I tried a few different methods on my DVDs and the COMAND just sits there loading the disc and never gets around, wondering if there is anything specific I must set when burning this DVD. I normally use Roxio or Nero tools.

Thanks
Dixit
Old 03-17-2008, 10:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
2005 S500 4-Matic, 1978 450SL
The (rather lengthy) string at http://www.benzworld.org/forums/audi...rning-how.html may help. Lots of good information, some of it software-specific.
Old 03-18-2008, 01:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
04 S430 (sold),05 X5 4.4i, 02 325i, 87 560SL, 85 Alfa Romeo
Originally Posted by Dixit
I know in my 04 S55 the COMAND works just find with MP3 CDs and plays them just fine. Now I also hear they will read DVDs (if movie they wont display the screen) but I also heard they can read DVD based MP3 media. So if I burned MP3s on a DVD data will it work and has anyone successfully done this?

I tried a few different methods on my DVDs and the COMAND just sits there loading the disc and never gets around, wondering if there is anything specific I must set when burning this DVD. I normally use Roxio or Nero tools.

Thanks
Dixit
Yes it will.. I wish you had posted this a few days ago, I just spent the last 4 days in Atlanta.. I would have shown you how to do it easily..
Heres the short trick.

Make sure all of you files are Mp3 and not mixed like .wav, or aiff

Make sure ALL of your Mp3 files are at least 128Kbps. No need to delete tags of anything...

Use a DVD -R. The +R makes errors for some odd reason....

ALL combined files AND folders MUST be no more that the total of 999.
THis means the contents of the folders and include the folders themselves...

Burn the files to DVD as regular data. The system will automatically recognized it as an mp3 DVD because of the files.

When you insert the DVD it will load the disk and YES it takes 2 to 3 minutes so be patient.

IF the file count is more than stated above, it will either error out, or skip some of the files when its finished loading.

Thats all there is to it.. I have been using this format for about a year and a half now... I kinda got it down to a science.

Now here's how the S-Command software works....

Unlike a normal computer that simply scans the TOC ( table of Contents ) when a Disk in inserted,
THe Comand actually LOADS the contents of the Disk as if it was a program..

It loads in alphabetical order all folders in the root directory first, then goes back and loads the contents of the folders also in alphabetical order counting all of the data till it reaches 999 total files..

IF 999 is not reached it will display ALL of the loaded data..

If 999 IS reached it ill either crash, or skip everything past 999 and you will see folders without any contents when it finishes..

After the disk loads and UNLIKE a normal computer, you have instant access to any of the files that were loaded without having to wait for the system to Search the DVD... so once loaded the DVD never has to "Spin up" to locate a song.. This is why the initial loading takes a while...

even after you shut your car off, the loaded information stays in memory of the command till the disk is ejected.. Unless you were in shuffle mode..

Sometimes after being off for a while,the disk will resume from the first song on the the first folder which will be the first title in the alphabet that was loaded Or file #1. In these cases you will have to turn shuffle back on to resume playing in that mode.

This wasn't exacty short, but I hope this helps.. I posted this info somewhere with pics if you search for it.

Last edited by my06clk; 03-18-2008 at 01:38 AM.
Old 03-19-2008, 12:00 PM

2004 S500, 1999 C230
Originally Posted by my06clk
Use a DVD -R. The +R makes errors for some odd reason....
I have the exact opposite experience on my 04 S500. -R errors and/or fails to load all the time, but I have no problems with +R.
Old 05-24-2008, 02:25 AM

2004 S500 AMG Kit Keyless go Parktronics 7 speed
I have a problem were my COMAND skips a few songs here and there. First I made a dvd with 700 songs so i figured it was too many songs for it to read but then i made one with 370 and still the same problem. It's not the songs because I made sure to add the same one's from the first dvd and songs that didnt show up on the first one showed up on the second and vice versa. Does anyone have any suggestions? I also tried playing the dvd's on my ps3 and it shows there all there so it's not the burner. Thank you!
Old 05-24-2008, 09:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by kalel21
I have a problem were my COMAND skips a few songs here and there. First I made a dvd with 700 songs so i figured it was too many songs for it to read but then i made one with 370 and still the same problem. It's not the songs because I made sure to add the same one's from the first dvd and songs that didnt show up on the first one showed up on the second and vice versa. Does anyone have any suggestions? I also tried playing the dvd's on my ps3 and it shows there all there so it's not the burner. Thank you!
Command is a funny device.. Are you sure the files are all the same? not Wav. or AiF? Are sure that you have a total of 370 including all files folders and subfolders? Did you burn the cd is a Data disk not an mp3 DVD? Are you sure the song titles are not too long?

These are steps I use to ensure I get a 100% DVD everytime.
Old 05-24-2008, 11:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
2005 S500 4-Matic, 1978 450SL
The sticky at http://www.benzworld.org/forums/audi...rning-how.html has a tremendous amount of information, some of it software and platform-specific. Also, my06clk posted excellent information on iTunes and Toast at https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...46#post2099946
Old 05-24-2008, 12:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 305 Likes on 224 Posts
'19 E63S sedan
As others have said, it's likely those files are not .mp3, which is the only format COMAND will recognize. If you burned then from Itunes, for example, you may find the rest are .m4a format. COMAND is pretty dumb that way.
Old 05-25-2008, 12:06 AM

04 S55 AMG
Ive had this same problem. And I think Ive found the answer. I think it might have something to do with the way some of my MP3s are coded. I notice I see this problem more on the ones that are 192Kbps and even more when they were coded by iTunes.

So now when I make the DVD-MP3, (I use Roxio) I use the option to force all files to be re-encoded to say 128Kbps and then I have no problem seeing every song that was originally written to the first DVD.

So I would try that, as Im sure it will fix your problem.

Dixit
Old 05-25-2008, 12:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
V12TT
I used NERO but you have to select DVD MP3 format to burn or else it won't work in the comand with regular DATA DVD with MP3 files on it.
Old 05-25-2008, 12:14 AM

04 S55 AMG
Originally Posted by benz_addict
I used NERO but you have to select DVD MP3 format to burn or else it won't work in the comand with regular DATA DVD with MP3 files on it.
I agree with this statement as well, however I tried this and noticed the problem he is describing above, which forced me to basically go to Roxio which has the ability to re-code all the files so you dont have a "mix" of bitrate and done by other random programs.

Dixit
Old 05-25-2008, 01:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Dixit
I agree with this statement as well, however I tried this and noticed the problem he is describing above, which forced me to basically go to Roxio which has the ability to re-code all the files so you dont have a "mix" of bitrate and done by other random programs.

Dixit
Wow thats odd.. I only burn as Data DVD because that it the only was I get a full problem free DVD.

I use Toast on a Mac I don't know if thats why I don't have any issues or not.. I do know that I have mixed bit rate files all over the place.. and they all work except they must be at least 128kbps to work for sure.
Old 09-12-2009, 07:15 AM

2004 S500 AMG Kit Keyless go Parktronics 7 speed
Has anyone here had any problem free music DVDs while using iTunes? Mine worked fine up until a few months ago when iTunes had an update. Since then I have had nothing but head aches. I read most of the post in regards to this topic and tryed most of your suggestions without any success. So now I'm curious to see if other people have the same problem. I would hate to use another type of software since it's so easy to burn with iTunes.
Old 09-17-2009, 10:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Has anyone here had any problem free music DVDs while using iTunes? Mine worked fine up until a few months ago when iTunes had an update. Since then I have had nothing but head aches. I read most of the post in regards to this topic and tryed most of your suggestions without any success. So now I'm curious to see if other people have the same problem. I would hate to use another type of software since it's so easy to burn with iTunes.
I have no issues with I-tunes. You are missing something.

1. ALL files must be the exact same ( .Mp3 ) NOt .m4a or WAV

2. Files with Artwork and lots of ID3 tag stuff is a no no. Command doesn't understand ID3 very well.

3. 128K is best anything lower or higher and you are just playing russian roulette.

4. Total of 999 files And/Or Folders IMPORTANT...

It is always better to use another program to burn the files as Data from your I-tunes folder instead of burnng from within I-tunes fr the following reasons.

I-tunes cant count files and folders for me, and I tunes does not reorganized files by artists by album when burning a DVD so they look nice on the comand screen and easy to find. ( sometimes I like to just play Whole Albums instead of having them mixed. Filing them this way gives you both options.
Old 04-27-2010, 09:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2000 S500 Brilliant Silver, 1990 BMW 735iL, 1971 Pontiac Trans Am 455 HO, 1976 Pontiac Formula 400
Is it possible to play MP3's in a 2000 S class COMAND if properly burned? Would it be on a CD or DVD?
Thanks
Old 04-27-2010, 10:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Crankin
Is it possible to play MP3's in a 2000 S class COMAND if properly burned? Would it be on a CD or DVD?
Thanks
NO.
The S class comand wasn't mp3 capable till 2003 for cd nd 2004 for dvd.