S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

S320 Cdi 2003 Key Does Not Turn In Ignition

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-13-2007, 02:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S320 Cdi 2003 Key Does Not Turn In Ignition

Hi guys Ive got a problem starting my car. Basically the (both keys) do not turn in the ignition. They unlocked once after trying so many times.
Batteries are changed in the remotes and car has a new battery.

Nav and all electrics work in the car (nav, lights, tv etc)
Its just that the keys do not turn at all (steering is not locked).

Someone has adviced it is ignition switch (£460 at dealers inc labour)
My friend is willing to do it at £300 at dealers (Mercedes).
Will I need a new key with it?

Please help...

Thanks
Old 02-04-2008, 03:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
S, GL, Escalade ESV, my shoes
Funny, my car now doing exactly the same thing:

1. Can't unlock the door/trunk in the morning, especially when it's cold. Have to hit the button on the remote 724 time for it to unlock.
2. Once unlock, key can't turn the ignition. Have to try so many time for it to turn (insert/remove)

The problem is most severe when start the car first time in the morning, or when it's really cold. Once warm up, everything work as normal.

Same behavior with all three keys that I have, so that eliminate the key/battery problem.

Just for safety, I replaced the car battery ($120 for the Interstate battery, $40 install & programing fee). The problem is less severe, but still there.

After scanning the forum, and confirm w/ MB Indy shop, look like the EIS is on the way out.

For EIS, it's worth it to shop around, and only do it at Mercedes specialized shop, since you'll need the Star Diagnostic to transfer code from the old EIS to the new one. Some place charge the green key cost, some don't. Some require new set of key, other don't. I got quote anywhere from $760 to $3000 !!!.

MB Tech in Monterey Park (CA) just ordered part for me. $512 for part, and $260 for labor, can reuse my old keys, and they won't even charge anything for the green key. (Transport unlock device).

I am told that if the mechanic follow proper procedures, then you can reuse the old keys. However, if they mess up, or simply want to take short cut, then it'll cost you a new set of key too.

Originally Posted by Shaneabbas
Hi guys Ive got a problem starting my car. Basically the (both keys) do not turn in the ignition. They unlocked once after trying so many times.
Batteries are changed in the remotes and car has a new battery.

Nav and all electrics work in the car (nav, lights, tv etc)
Its just that the keys do not turn at all (steering is not locked).

Someone has adviced it is ignition switch (£460 at dealers inc labour)
My friend is willing to do it at £300 at dealers (Mercedes).
Will I need a new key with it?

Please help...

Thanks
Old 02-04-2008, 04:04 PM

Change the batteries in both remotes, stick key in ignition and leave it there for about an hour and try starting. If it's the batteries, it will start, if its the something else then you need a tow.
Old 02-04-2008, 08:23 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
CLS 63 S AMG , s500,clk550
sounds like ur car battery is either low or dead.. get it checked.. if the key wont turn in ignition usually its a low battery or a dead one
Old 02-05-2008, 01:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S, GL, Escalade ESV, my shoes
Originally Posted by fusion2007
sounds like ur car battery is either low or dead.. get it checked.. if the key wont turn in ignition usually its a low battery or a dead one
Guys,

I just want to save people who experience problem like mine from going through hassle & money of second guess problem. It's not the battery, it's the EIS. Mercedes trained mechanic already confirmed the problem !!!, do I need to repeat again that I just replaced the car battery, just for safety. The original author also replaced both the car battery and key battery. Why you guys keep babbling "replace battery will fix problem". Read the org post before posting response.

Two common myths, just want to be clear:

1. You don't need a battery in the key to start the car at all, this is for real. When you can't turn the ignition, it's either the key, or EIS that go wrong. If all of your keys can't turn, it's often the EIS

2. There are lot of other symptom that indicate low car battery, and most often, you will see a warning message in the IC. If you can't turn the key intermittently (won't work for a while, but then keep working after that), it's definitely NOT the battery.

I see so many post where people state that they can't start the car with smart key, and so many retard response of "replace battery in the key". The battery is strictly for lock/unlock IR, not for starting car. If you don't know how the DAS and EIS works, then don't B.S with the silly "change battery" crap and lead people into deeper loss.

On good note, it's actually very simple to replace the EIS. If the problem happens to you, and shop/dealer give you story on how they have to take out the entire dash to replace the EIS, don't bite it. W.I.S instruct it to be replace via the center command, takes about an hour or so, and problably and hour or two to copy/reprogram the EIS. My shop charge me 3 hours labor, reasonable. Dealer quoted me 10 hours !!! (give me B.S story of dash removal to replace EIS).

I have access to the WIS system, I am posting the instruction here in case people want to give it a try (to monkey around with the EIS). bv

Btw, here's another guy who have identical problem like mine, stupid shop keep replacing other part before conceed it's the EIS, and along the way, cost him lot of money and time.

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w220...IS#post2199372
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
EIS_Install.pdf (308.6 KB, 1816 views)

Last edited by zam2000; 02-05-2008 at 01:53 AM.
Old 12-15-2008, 01:58 PM
ksc

S500
hi guys,

i've been experiencing this problem - car not starting, etc.

i have a few questions: ignition is not dependent on the fob battery so why is it when i can't start the car, none of the fob functions work(battery is good)?

i haven't confirmed that the problem is the EIS, but car is showing the symptoms; does this failure have anything to do with cold weather?

it's about 30F right now but this problem has been going on for about a week now and the weather was not too cold during that time(40sF). aren't these cars able to handle the cold, if that actually has something to do with it?

car did eventually start after leaving key in ignition for five minutes!

thanks for any advice.
Old 12-15-2008, 04:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
BMW F02 (750Li) F10 (550i)
Guys most problems like that is your key. time for a new one. , has nothing to do with your battery !!!!!!!
Old 12-15-2008, 04:30 PM
ksc

S500
my first question refers to the seperate functions of the fob in locking/unlocking and the failure of something when starting the car.

if i can't start the car due to bad EIS, the fob should still lock/unlock, right?

in my case, nothing happens - key is dead.

Keyless-go is dead too which means the problem is not the key.

is all this logical? i'm just trying to figure out what's going on.

thanks, M4

Last edited by ksc; 12-15-2008 at 04:33 PM.
Old 12-15-2008, 08:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
BMW F02 (750Li) F10 (550i)
Originally Posted by ksc

Keyless-go is dead too which means the problem is not the key.
well since the keyless go doesn't work it has to be ignition , that would be the next step.