S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

Is it Worth It? '00 S500...

Old 03-04-2006, 12:14 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Still looking...

I am in line for an 2000 S500 with -22,000 miles on it, in good/great condition-but I believe it is more or less the "base" model (wimpy rims and little bling). It had it's fender repaired but was abandoned by the owner and aquired by the tow yard.

Here's the thing: They are asking $28,900 loan which seems to be a good price for South Florida-but I may be able to snag it for $20K cash price which seems like a fantastic price, and to good to pass up.

I guess I need your thoughts on the car? I mean if it is great at $29K is it killer at $20K...?

It should be noted that if I purchase it, I plan on buying an extended warranty, adding bigger rims, some power upgrades, and lowering...
Old 03-04-2006, 03:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts
'00 S320 W220, '98 A160 W168/ sold in 2005 '86 260 E W124 '90 260E W124
If you have the history of the car it is a great deal. Who is going to give you extended warranty? Are the miles true? 22.000 mls in almost 6 years, big question mark?????
Other than that, have the Airmatic checked ($$$$).
Old 03-04-2006, 04:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
BMW E39
Originally Posted by bamberger_1
If you have the history of the car it is a great deal. Who is going to give you extended warranty? Are the miles true? 22.000 mls in almost 6 years, big question mark?????
Other than that, have the Airmatic checked ($$$$).
My car is 7 years old and I have 30k miles on it...sadly.

Yes, definately get it checked, inside and out. I would recommend to avoid the model year 2000, but if you can get a damn good deal, well, go for it. Otherwise, spend a little more on a newer S.
Old 03-04-2006, 08:14 AM
Almost a Member!

Still looking...
I guess that's some of what I'm trying to feel out-got the history of it and no accidents, clear title, but at what point $$$ wise is it NOT worth it?

The car interior & body look like it is six years old with 22K, with one small scratch on the rear 1/4 panel and one small door ding. I will be examining it on Monday for possible purchase, so chime in.

Yess, I've heard about the first few years (from here) so if I can't get a good bumper-bumper warranty I will have to avoid it. I have plenty of vehicles if it needs a few shop visits, so I am not too concerned-as long as the warranty covers it.

What should I look for immediately? Airmatic? How do I check that?
Old 03-04-2006, 09:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
2005 S500 4-Matic, 1978 450SL
Even the "wimpy" (as you term it; some of us judge cars by how they function, not by "flash") 2000 S500 was pretty loaded. It should have COMAND, nav, and at minimum phone prewire. It may have a CD changer. You will want to check the telematics, because they are expensive to fix. Try the nav system; be sure the car has nav CDs, or borrow one it (if none are available, they can be replaced, but sets are expensive).

The S500 comes with high quality leather seating, beautiful (and expensive) burl wood trim, and a host of other options. Check out the 15-year history of the S-class at the MBUSA web site. You can see the equipment list for the 2000 there.

Check the following links for a quick study:

http://home.earthlink.net/~phdwebsite/index.htm
http://home.earthlink.net/~phdwebsite/comand_manual.htm
https://mbworld.org/forums/s-class-w220/124317-comparison-00-05-w220.html
https://mbworld.org/forums/s-class-w220/138366-03-w220.html
https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...ghlight=Skylaw

If the car already "looks" lowered, it may have an Airmatic problem (or someone may have lowered it). Check to see that the car isn't "down" on its wheels. If it is, you will damage the fenders when you drive it. See if the front end raises (about 3/4 of an inch) when you push the dash button. See that the suspension adjustment gives a progessively firmer ride when you select it. Check the airmatic front strut upper mounting plates for cracks in the circular depressions around the air valve. You may hear the airmatic pump run (fairly quietly) if you start the car after it has not been driven for a while. It should not run for a long time. It may run briefly and occasionally after the car is shut down, but it should not cycle on & off frequently (indicates a leak).

Since the car was "abandoned" (and I presume not looked after for a time) be sure there is not water pooled in the air intake well under the hood on the passenger side (just in front of the windshield). Stuff can accumulate there and block the drain; a good Florida thunderstorm can fill it, and cause you problems. After you have checked that as clear, check that the A/C and heating systems work, and that you get air from the proper vents.

Owners manuals are online for model years back to 2004 on the MBUSA site, but you must register to access them. The manuals aren't the same as for your car, but you can get the essentials. If you can, try to look through a friend's manual if the car doesn't have one - at least to find out where the switches and controls are, and what they do. The Owner's manual and the COMAND manual are different books.

The S500 is a complicated piece of machinery, moreso than most; you will understand it a lot better if you read the manuals (and none of us who contribute to the forums appreciate questions that are answered in the manuals).

$20K is a darned good price for a '00 in good shape. Most would go for about $28-29K, and the cars would be expected to have more mileage (50-60K by now). The question, as some above have said, is why a car in good shape would be sold that much below market? Be especially sure it didn't come from the Louisiana/Missippi Gulf Coast after the hurricanes. With the VIN, you can get a CarFax report inexpensively (the current owner may do it for you), and I would advise doing so.

After you purchase it, take it to an authorized dealer and have it checked for service and especially for recalls (there are no major safety recalls that I'm aware of, but there were many helpful improvements). With low mileage, it may not have been in the shop as often as it should have been especially if it was abandoned. If you can have the service history pulled (not always easy if you're not already the owner) by the MB dealer, do it.

Last edited by Skylaw; 03-04-2006 at 09:53 AM.
Old 03-04-2006, 12:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 221 Likes on 172 Posts
R230 SL63 | W220 S55
Had numerous problems with my old 2000 model year S500, primarily due to the fact that it was a first year production car. But, at $20K for a excellent condition car with 22K miles...well, thats just too good of a deal to pass. Just make sure to have the car thouroughly examined by a MB Professional. If you buy the car cash, for another $5K you can update it to look like '05 (lights)and put some upgrades on it (wheels, PowerChips, etc). Then you can get an extended warranty up to 100K miles. So, for about $30K ($1k more than the finance price) you can have a fresh looking car with a warranty for another 80K miles.

HLG
Old 03-04-2006, 09:30 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Wow, that sounds too good to pass up. You need to get that car inspected from all angles. Do you have any pics? In these forums we like to see what we are talking about.
Old 03-05-2006, 12:38 PM
BBH

2010 CL63 (was 2003 CL55)
I have a 2000 S500, also S.Florida, that I bought a few months ago. So far, so good. Your mileage seems almost "too good to be true", but if It checks out mechanically, anywhere between $20k and $28k seems like a geat deal.

I bought a Mercury "Platinum" extended warranty that added 36months/36000miles to my existing condition, i.e., 56,000 miles. Most reputable independents carry this warranty. In you consider the Pompano Beach area close enough, I have an Indepent MB guy I highly recommend. PM me if you want his name and phone number.
Old 03-05-2006, 01:30 PM

2000 S 500; 2004 ML 350
Hey I'm also in South FL and got a 2000 S 500, and knock on wood, have never had any mechanical problems and the ride kicks ***. Be sure to get an extended warranty and you'll be fine. All this hype about staying away from 2000 is non-sense. Just do your homework, run car fax report, etc. and you'll be fine.
Old 03-05-2006, 01:34 PM

2000 S 500; 2004 ML 350
Originally Posted by BBH
I have a 2000 S500, also S.Florida, that I bought a few months ago. So far, so good. Your mileage seems almost "too good to be true", but if It checks out mechanically, anywhere between $20k and $28k seems like a geat deal.

I bought a Mercury "Platinum" extended warranty that added 36months/36000miles to my existing condition, i.e., 56,000 miles. Most reputable independents carry this warranty. In you consider the Pompano Beach area close enough, I have an Indepent MB guy I highly recommend. PM me if you want his name and phone number.
Hey BBH, the independent guy you're referring to, is it Rob from MB Auto?
Old 03-05-2006, 03:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts
'00 S320 W220, '98 A160 W168/ sold in 2005 '86 260 E W124 '90 260E W124
The thing about the years which had some trouble compared to the newer years is something which needs explanations.
In Germany the W220 was introduced to the market in 1998. This year and the 1999 makes (production date before Sept 1999) had some issues you hear in most forums. But the production date (not the date sold!!!) Sept 1999 and after shall have overcome most of those issues. So it is important to find out the PRODUCTION date. Some of the cars "hang" around in dealer lots (and may be even in the factory) and may be sold as a newer year then they really are, as long as they never had a title issued.
Old 03-05-2006, 08:59 PM
Almost a Member!

Still looking...
Thanks for the advise all, it is appreciated. I am familiar to complicated cars & motorcycles-albeit-American & British.

Skylaw, the car is boss, no doubt. But the factory base rims are wimpy looking-don't match the car's physique if you know what I mean.

It has a clear/clean title. Even the minor accident it was in didn't ring up on the search. It appears clean and well kept from my initial inspection. Thanks for the suspension checks, I will do it tomorrow for the test ride.

FWIW worth, they are asking $28K, and the $20K price was offered to a friend-so it's through him.

I know I need to get an extended warranty on it (your recommendations here will be helpful as well).

Here is a pic-not of it-but might as well be:

First mods will be decent rims, probably black with a silver lip-18 or 19's depending-with enough profile rubber to not kill the ride, though I like my tires wide. Consider lowering it, maybe a high flow airfilter or chip (depending on price). Let's first see if I buy it!
Old 03-05-2006, 10:00 PM

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
2004 S500
You can't get hurt with that one unless it's wrecked. It's not too unusual to find 5~6 year old cars here in South Florida with low miles. With the seasonal retirement crowd, especially here in Palm Beach County, there are a lot of high end cars that are only driven during the winter and are garaged the rest of the year. Before I bought my '04 I looked at an '01 that only had 8500 miles on it!!! It needed new tires because they were starting to crack from dry rot. It's harder on a car to sit around and not be driven than have moderate use. That is one reason to look closely at the operation of the air-matic. Start the car and raise and lower the suspension several times. Listen for loud noises from the compressor. After the car sits for a while it should not bottom out due to leakage in the struts or air lines. It will settle some but not much. Check the service records if you can. If you are real serious, find an independent MB shop that will give it an A~Z look over for around $100. It will be worth it. Good Luck.
Old 03-06-2006, 10:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by MiamiDave

Skylaw, the car is boss, no doubt. But the factory base rims are wimpy looking-don't match the car's physique if you know what I mean.

I know I need to get an extended warranty on it (your recommendations here will be helpful as well).
Yes, I always wanted a bit larger wheel when I had my '00; but I always liked the style. The larger wheels (same style) on my '05 are nice. Love AMGs also.

I don't specifically recommend the company in the link below (I have not bought from them nor do I have any experience with them), and the site (as was pointed out by another contributor) is less than professional looking - but they do provide some good considerations in buying an extended warranty. See http://www.carbuyingtips.com/warranty.htm

Last edited by Skylaw; 03-06-2006 at 10:18 AM.
Old 03-06-2006, 07:16 PM
Almost a Member!

Still looking...
Drove it today...air suspension doesn't work. Hit the button, it lights up, the dash says the vehicle is lifting, but nothing-no buzz or whine either. On the road, felt like an 80's Cadillac-big, comfortable, & mushy. No wallowing though, but didn't feel Autobahn tight either...

The driver side window doesn't work, but all others do.

A/C doesn't blow cold (but works).

One foglamp appears to be out, and it is possible the light washers don't work (didn't check). Plenty of rubber on the Michelin 225/60x16's.

Tracks straight (at least) up to 65 mph, and hands off braking true and straight. Trans shifts good at various throttle positions, no pinging/knocking under WOT or partial load. The steering wheel is off from the alignment slightly, but that is easily fixed and drives straight-solid.

Lot owner had the overdue service done (not by a Mercedes dealership) and drove it personally for about 700 miles.

It is probably worth $25-30K to others, but my cash BFL is $20K. I personally hope I can pull it off...after the next step will be a Warranty Direct BTB...

Last edited by MiamiDave; 03-06-2006 at 07:18 PM.
Old 03-07-2006, 06:44 PM

2000 S500

The 2000 S500's are going in the car auctions now for 21K-22K. If you can get the car for less that is not a bad deal. However, also look at the costs for repair, because as all of us know.. it's not cheap!!!

First, upgrade would be the lights.. to the 2005 Bi-xenons from www.mbenzNL.com. About $2,000 with installation.

Second, Get some rims.. AMG, Brabus.

I'm working on the same project myself.

Here are some before and after shots.. That's Steve installed last year. I have a Brabus body kit on order.. plus the Brabus style Monoblock VI's from formymercedes.com. Will keep pics posted in near future.

Regards..
Attached Thumbnails Is it Worth It? '00 S500...-cimg1930.jpg   Is it Worth It? '00 S500...-benzfront.jpg  
Old 03-07-2006, 07:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by MiamiDave
Drove it today...air suspension doesn't work. Hit the button, it lights up, the dash says the vehicle is lifting, but nothing-no buzz or whine either. On the road, felt like an 80's Cadillac-big, comfortable, & mushy. No wallowing though, but didn't feel Autobahn tight either...

The driver side window doesn't work, but all others do.

A/C doesn't blow cold (but works).

One foglamp appears to be out, and it is possible the light washers don't work (didn't check). Plenty of rubber on the Michelin 225/60x16's.

Tracks straight (at least) up to 65 mph, and hands off braking true and straight. Trans shifts good at various throttle positions, no pinging/knocking under WOT or partial load. The steering wheel is off from the alignment slightly, but that is easily fixed and drives straight-solid.

Lot owner had the overdue service done (not by a Mercedes dealership) and drove it personally for about 700 miles.

It is probably worth $25-30K to others, but my cash BFL is $20K. I personally hope I can pull it off...after the next step will be a Warranty Direct BTB...
Did you try the ride options? The dash panel button with a shock absorber - looking marking controls ride stiffness. If the ride in fact stiffens, Airmatic is working - something else would have caused the front end not to raise/lower. It only goes up about 3/4 inch.

A/C is slow to cool in the '00 - especially in the pre-October 99 manufactured versions. May take a bit of driving before you feel much. A black car in Florida will take some time to cool down (that's why I got a silver one when I traded). 50% darkened windows helps a lot (but may knock out your AM radio reception).

The rest doesn't sound too bad.

Last edited by Skylaw; 03-07-2006 at 07:17 PM.
Old 03-08-2006, 01:41 PM
BBH

2010 CL63 (was 2003 CL55)
That "coupe treatment" hood sure looks nice when done properly like yours.
Old 03-08-2006, 10:49 PM
Almost a Member!

Still looking...
Yeah, I have stalled on it a bit, due to work. As far as the $21-22K at the dealer auctions-I have to believe that is with 40-60,000 miles on them. But yes, it is a good litmus test.

The suspension seems like it is not activating (pumping) at startup. I hit the button while stopped, the display said something like "car raising" and examining the MB star on the car in front-it didn't raise up. Also, over some big bumps I braced for bottoming out-that's how wishy washy it seems.

The A/C feels like it needs a recharge-still not cold after 10 minutes from the vent...

Next week I will make my offer-if still there...

Last edited by MiamiDave; 03-08-2006 at 10:54 PM.
Old 03-16-2006, 09:18 PM
Almost a Member!

Still looking...
Update. I have the cash, but now am concerned about having it "surveyed." The owner says I can take it to the "Mercedes" guy next to him who performed the service on it-but I prefer more independence-though I want someone who can pull codes with a scanner, etc. I mean, how would I know if the car even had all it's airbags...?

But, he's asking $28K and I lowball the snot out of him at $20K, do I have the right to even nitpick? I searched the auto trader today and the lowest local 2000 S500 was about $25K but I am still a bit leery about it...
Old 03-17-2006, 12:53 AM

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
2004 S500
If the seller balks at "your guy" looking at the car the pass on it...he's probably hiding something. I don't remember...did Car Fax check out? This car isn't from "Katrina Land" is it?
Old 03-17-2006, 06:28 AM
Almost a Member!

Still looking...
Clean Title-and he was leery when I asked him over the phone to "take it to my guy." If he had a problem with me bringing someone to check it out, I would definitely walk...

I've got to be in three places at once today, so if it doesn't fly today with a surveyor I'll try Monday...
Old 03-17-2006, 10:49 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If he doesn't want you to use your guy I would walk with no hesitation. If something is wrong with it you will pay big and then you will never be happy with your ride. The repair cost on S class can be very expensive.
Old 03-18-2006, 08:27 PM

96 SL500, 97 E420
This deal sou nds fishy to me. 1st, wealthy people didn't get that way by abandoning $20-$30k cars. Even if they had allheimers somebody that knew them would have retrieved the car. 2nd, it seems some repairs are needed that will quickly turn your $20k buy into an ongoing repair shop nightmare. 3rd, I would be sure to check very closely that this car hasn't had its title "washed" from Katrina, Rita, or any other hurricane-flood damage. 4th, I would use $25-$28k and find a creampuff '00 or '01 from the original owner.
My 2 cent's
Old 03-21-2006, 12:25 AM
Almost a Member!

Still looking...
Well today was the day. Pulled $20,000 USd cash money and went to the lot. Had it inspected by one of the companies down the block specializing in MB's-pointing out a few problems, ran for codes, erased, re-ran, etc, all checked out (even the air suspension seemed working-just seemed slow).

Regardless I offered $20K there. Declined, $25K is as low as they will go.

I won't argue it's worth it, but too much for what I was willing to spend. If they met me a little bit-maybe-but still.

I'm partially relieved, but also disappointed. I plan on going out in a week or two and show up with the cash again to see. I don't think it will work-but worth the try...

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Is it Worth It? '00 S500...