C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

Price of Castrol SAE XJ Diff fluid? Check your diff fluid bottle!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-25-2008, 11:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C63, BMW E46 M3
Price of Castrol SAF XJ Diff fluid? Check your diff fluid bottle!

I just had my diff service done and was charged ~$21 per 500ml bottle(total of 3) of the Castrol SAF XJ 75w 140. On my M3 uses a Castrol XJ 75w 140 with FM booster and cost $23 dollars per box of 3. Did the dealer overcharge me or is this what MB dealers charge. Each bottle does have a MB label on it with the part number and is listed as 1 piece. Funny how BMW's is sold as one unit for a box of 3. What are you guys paying?

Also, I suggest anyone getting this service please check the bottle of the fluid they intend to use. I was supposed to get this service done last week but was told they didn't have that "special fluid" and would have to order it. Well went in today and asked "R u sure you have the proper fluid for the LSD?" Dealer- "Yes, it is sitting in parts with your name on it."
Me- "Not, that I don't trust you, but I would like to make sure you received the right fluid so I can I see the bottle?"
Well, sure enough it was a bottle of the Universal 75W-80 fluid that was mislabeled with the right part number.
The service advisor had no clue. Luckily, the parts guy said that when they ordered the fluid they were sent bottles of the Castrol XJ 75W-140 fluid. If you don't know this is also MB approved in addition to their AMG Hypoid Gear Oil 75W-140. I would have had the wrong fluid in my diff but the right part number on my invoice. All the service advisor had to say was well we would've replaced the differential under warranty.

Last edited by docmfg; 10-26-2008 at 12:13 AM.
Old 10-27-2008, 08:34 PM

2020 GLE450
That's what I paid for each 500 ml bottle at the dealer. The XJ fluid is not cheap and the only other place I found it in the US was a Nissan dealer in California. They wanted $47 per liter.

Your dealership experience is exactly why I recommend that no one take their AMG vehicle there. Just think about how many AMG cars they see and out of those, how many are C63's. The odds are stacked against you that some tech will scratch your car or screw something up. Find a reputable independent and save on the labor while getting better service. My 2 cents.
Old 10-30-2008, 07:14 AM

Steel Gray 09' C63 AMG
Originally Posted by docmfg
I just had my diff service done and was charged ~$21 per 500ml bottle(total of 3) of the Castrol SAF XJ 75w 140. On my M3 uses a Castrol XJ 75w 140 with FM booster and cost $23 dollars per box of 3. Did the dealer overcharge me or is this what MB dealers charge. Each bottle does have a MB label on it with the part number and is listed as 1 piece. Funny how BMW's is sold as one unit for a box of 3. What are you guys paying?

Also, I suggest anyone getting this service please check the bottle of the fluid they intend to use. I was supposed to get this service done last week but was told they didn't have that "special fluid" and would have to order it. Well went in today and asked "R u sure you have the proper fluid for the LSD?" Dealer- "Yes, it is sitting in parts with your name on it."
Me- "Not, that I don't trust you, but I would like to make sure you received the right fluid so I can I see the bottle?"
Well, sure enough it was a bottle of the Universal 75W-80 fluid that was mislabeled with the right part number.
The service advisor had no clue. Luckily, the parts guy said that when they ordered the fluid they were sent bottles of the Castrol XJ 75W-140 fluid. If you don't know this is also MB approved in addition to their AMG Hypoid Gear Oil 75W-140. I would have had the wrong fluid in my diff but the right part number on my invoice. All the service advisor had to say was well we would've replaced the differential under warranty.
I just had me 2000K diff service and this is what was used on my Diff.

It was in a grey OEM MB bottle with a part number #A001989170310 and the front of the bottle said "Universal Hypoid Gear Oil", SAE 85-90. The back of the bottle was all in German so I could not use it. I did not see anything with LSD on the bottle.

So do I have the wrong stuff?

-Troy
Old 10-30-2008, 09:12 AM

C63, BMW E46 M3
I think so.

If you have a locking differential, the weight should be 75w-140. That was the same bottle the dealer received when they ordered the fluid. But the label that was affixed to it with the right part number is not what is actually printed on the bottle. It is something somebody placed on it. The part number actually printed on the bottle does not correspond with what it should be. MBUSA confirmed there are only 2 approved fluids, the Castrol XJ and their AMG Hypoid both 75w-140. You may want to call MBUSA to confirm, b/c if it is the wrong fluid the dealer will owe you a new diff.
Old 10-30-2008, 09:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2009 C63 AMG Black on Black PP Package CF fully loaded
Glock... Bring it back ASAP, actually didn't someone on the forum get the LSD replaced because they mistakenly changed it with the wrong oil?

Last edited by dlbello; 10-30-2008 at 09:26 AM.