Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

Those 2001-2004 wanting the CA-R PI.131, another option available (maybe better)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-30-2007, 09:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004.5 MB C230 Kompressor
Those 2001-2004 wanting the CA-R PI.131, another option available (maybe better)

Ok so I finished my Avic Z1 install with Bluetooth, XM/NavTraffic and Ipod controller. I could not track down a CA-R PI.131 so I researched and contacted some resources I had known back when I had been a Master installer in CO. I ended up going with a PAC-Audio SWI-CAN for the Can controller on my 04 C230 then I added the SWI-PS (for Pioneer & Sony) there is the SWI-JACK (JVC, Alpine, Clarion, Kenwood) also SWI-ECL (Eclipse) and the SWI-X (for all others). Essentially the reason this is better (matter of opinion) is that it allows all the buttons to be programmed I made my Telephone buttons Source and Mute. Then I used the normal Steering wheel functions. So now I have Volume, Track/Seek, Source and Mute. I like it because I can change between, CD, HDD Library, AM, FM, XM and Ipod with out looking down. Did I mention it is a little bit cheaper and is also Readily available I went to my local car audio shop and got the SWI-PS and ordered the SWI-CAN on ebay the SWI_ Can was here in two days no waiting for months etc.. I also talked to Marcus from PAC-Audio and they are developing a SWI-MOST as well. What I do not get is how does the CA-R PI.131 work with the MOST and CAN vehicles?

Both Pieces cost me $80 shipped. I Will post a video up later today as well. The only down fall that I see is that I do not get the cool Pioneer on the gauge cluster display.

Was easy to install and easy to program. I also have some pics of the install that will help out since alot on the DIY was not covered. I found some great places to hides components and cables with plenty of room, easy access and it was almost like it was supposed to go there...
Old 05-30-2007, 10:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2005 C Wagon (No snickering please!)
MOST and CAN exist on the same car. Think of MOST as the audio bus and CAN as the chassis bus. The steering controls and the MFD are on the CAN bus and the CAN does chat with the head unit. It is the CAN that controls the electrical power to the consumers in the car. The MOST is also connected to the head unit, but it carries the audio signal and the control signals for devices in the MOST loop, like the phone, the premium amp, SAT receiver, and teleaid. CAN is a true bus in that when "someone" talks "everybody" listens. MOST on the other hand is a circle where one person whispers in the ear of the neighbor, then the neighbor repeats the message to the next person in the circle. MOST is akin to D2B in its operation, but is more advanced than D2B.
Old 05-31-2007, 09:14 AM

2004.5 MB C230 Kompressor
excellent way of putting it. I got the videos transferred to my computer and will have them up later. I really like how I can program the steering wheel buttons for any Aftermarket headunit... so with what you said this solution will work with any C Class?
Old 06-03-2007, 02:13 PM

04' C240 4Matic
I am about to explode waiting on those videos...
Old 06-07-2007, 07:35 AM

C240 4matic
Did you have to visit the dealer for programming and do any changes on speakers, wiring, etc.? or was it simply "plug and play"?
Old 10-08-2007, 02:33 PM

2001 clk 320 Cabriolet
Does the PAC SWI-CAN work with 2001 CLK320

Does the PAC SWI-CAN work with 2001 CLK320.
On the PAC website it says it works with the 2003-2004 Mercedes C Class CLK.

If not is there anyone that makes a device to allow me to use my steering wheel controls on my Pioneer AVIC-Z2?
Old 10-11-2007, 03:56 PM
SPONSOR

Location: Houston/ Austin /Toronto / UAE / Minneapolis / Orlando /Cincinnati
Received 149 Likes on 109 Posts
Eurocharged Performance ML63 and TT lambo
Originally Posted by molson
Does the PAC SWI-CAN work with 2001 CLK320.
On the PAC website it says it works with the 2003-2004 Mercedes C Class CLK.

If not is there anyone that makes a device to allow me to use my steering wheel controls on my Pioneer AVIC-Z2?
Ya, the pac peps didnt have my c32 (avic-d3) on their either...but working flawlessly.

Give them a buzz, very nice folks